Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    I have seen 2 articles one here and one on the Cambridge website suggesting that you only have to pay rent for 30 weeks of terms. Does this mean rent is free during holidays, do I have to leave the accommodation? Just looking for some clear information. Thanks

ReputationRep:
    you would need to check with the accommodation office but 99% certain yes you have to leave, and sometimes clear your room, although stuff can be stored, or locked away.
    Most university rooms are rented out to conferences in the vacation, or building work is done.

You pay 30 weeks rent and are allowed back to the same room, and permitted some storage.
    Some places may allow you to pay extra to stay - either in your room or another.
    • Section Leader
    • Clearing and Applications Advisor

ReputationRep:
    Section Leader
    Clearing and Applications Advisor
    (Original post by Wolf11)
    I have seen 2 articles one here and one on the Cambridge website suggesting that you only have to pay rent for 30 weeks of terms. Does this mean rent is free during holidays, do I have to leave the accommodation? Just looking for some clear information. Thanks
    Depends on the college but usually you have to leave your accomodation during vacations, and if you want to stay you pay extra and *might* still have to move to a different room.

As I say, it depends.

e.g. Trinity
    http://www.trin.cam.ac.uk/life/accommodation/faqs

Christ's
    https://www.christs.cam.ac.uk/admissions/accommodation

King's
    http://www.kings.cam.ac.uk/study/und...mmodation.html

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Wolf11)
    In general, you have to vacate your room during holidays if you live in the main site accommodation, and in most colleges the storage space for your stuff is very limited if you're a home (uk) student. (Most colleges have generous storage space for international students)
    If you want to live at your college during holiday, they usually let you at extra cost as long as you apply for it early enough, but more than likely you'd need to move to another room which is available during the period you want to stay.

If you live in an off-site college-owned house, you can usually leave all your stuff during holiday but you have to pay extra if you actually want to live there.

Availability of a college accommodation during holiday changes a lot depending upon how many/which rooms are rented out for conference/summer school/tourists, so you need to ask the college how their situation is like when you need it.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Have you ever participated in a Secret Santa?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.