Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    It was my first day back from last summer at a warehouse packing job on Monday & I called quits.

I don't understand why I was getting paid lower than other women for doing the same job just because of age difference.

Can someone explain why this is & if this is even legit?

ReputationRep:
    Because they have more experience than you.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by rkuni16)
    It was my first day back from last summer at a warehouse packing job on Monday & I called quits.

I don't understand why I was getting paid lower than other women for doing the same job just because of age difference.

Can someone explain why this is & if this is even legit?
    They probably assumed that the older women were more experienced and so likely to provide more value to the business. Whether that was actually the case or not, I don't know, but are you sure it was worth quitting simply due to pay difference? If you left because you think you are of more value than what they were paying you (and you already attempted to show them through the amount of work you did that you were worth more value than what they were paying you), then fair enough, but if you just left because of a pay difference, that may not have been such a wise idea. Just my thoughts, some of them be wrong for all I know hahaha

ReputationRep:
    I believe it's just cheap labour & inequality for young people in the workplace.

This summer they have reduced my hourly wage by 40p compared to last year. I felt as if I was getting paid peanuts... For doing the same job as other women being paid more than me??!

I don't think it's got to do with experience they clearly had said in the induction that I'll be getting paid X amount of money due to being under 18... But I'll be doing the same work which I was capable of doing just like all the other women. It's discriminatory.

ReputationRep:
    Over 25's minimum wage is higher.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you like to hibernate through the winter months?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.