The Student Room Group

I can't save!!

I'm earning a decent enough wage, my rent is relatively low compared to London - I don't live particularly extravagantly (eg, most of my food shopping is done at lidl or aldi and I usually only buy cheap clothes from primark) yet I can never amass more than £1k in savings. Usually what will happen then is I will have to use them for something like a car repair or insurance, deposit on a place to rent, holiday, unexpected bill etc

Money just slips through my fingers, a weekend with friends can start off cheap but if you factor in £50 return trains, maybe £30 on alcohol, £20 on food and taxis that's £100 gone in two days. There are always things to pay for, and I don't feel like I'm even a big spender. Most people around me seem to be spending similar amounts (and earning similar amounts) yet able to save SOMETHING. Yes I do book the odd holiday but I stay in youth hostels and deliberately go at non-peak times with cheap flights.*

I currently have £200 in my current account and £0 in my savings until the end of the month. I can't get out of this rut, I feel I'm never making any progress with money.*

Scroll to see replies

Do you know where every single penny goes? When I was at uni, I used to withdraw a certain amount of money per week and that was all I could spend.
Original post by LavenderBlueSky88

I currently have £200 in my current account and £0 in my savings until the end of the month. I can't get out of this rut, I feel I'm never making any progress with money.*

You need to do a budget. But do one that spans a year and includes one off big items like holidays, clothes, weekends away, car insurances etc etc. You will probably find that you don't actually earn as much as you think. If saving is a priority, then something has to give.

It sucks, but you are not alone.

Good luck!
Get an amount automatically taken out of your account and put into a savings account or sent to someone you trust.

Record your spending and see what you are spending where.
If you cnat do it yourself egt a friend to help you with where you cna cut the spending down.

Food
rent
bills are the givens.

You will see where its all going. Some of the books by Alvin Hall will give you a better idea on how to budget and manage your money. You cna get them 2nd hand.
Reply 4
You need to create a second income....

1) You could work another job, do some tutoring on the side, do mystery shopping, work in general elections. Something to supplement your main income. This only has to be a few hours a week, but an extra £30-40 a week can make a difference.

2) You need to start investing in bonds/stocks which can produce a dividend. So steady income. Say for example, BP stock is yielding 7% in dividends right now, so £1000 invested in BP will give £70 a year, plus there is stock appreciation as well. For example my BP stock rose from 361 p to 455 p in the last 2 weeks, giving me £450 profit on the £2000 I invested.
Reply 5
Original post by fg45344

1) You could work another job, do some tutoring on the side, do mystery shopping, work in general elections. Something to supplement your main income. This only has to be a few hours a week, but an extra £30-40 a week can make a difference.

2) You need to start investing in bonds/stocks which can produce a dividend. So steady income. Say for example, BP stock is yielding 7% in dividends right now, so £1000 invested in BP will give £70 a year, plus there is stock appreciation as well. For example my BP stock rose from 361 p to 455 p in the last 2 weeks, giving me £450 profit on the £2000 I invested.

If he doesn't have the discipline to save then investing in stocks and shares would be really stupid.
I'm earning a decent enough wage, my rent is relatively low compared to London - I don't live particularly extravagantly (eg, most of my food shopping is done at lidl or aldi and I usually only buy cheap clothes from primark) yet I can never amass more than £1k in savings. Usually what will happen then is I will have to use them for something like a car repair or insurance, deposit on a place to rent, holiday, unexpected bill etc

Money just slips through my fingers, a weekend with friends can start off cheap but if you factor in £50 return trains, maybe £30 on alcohol, £20 on food and taxis that's £100 gone in two days. There are always things to pay for, and I don't feel like I'm even a big spender. Most people around me seem to be spending similar amounts (and earning similar amounts) yet able to save SOMETHING. Yes I do book the odd holiday but I stay in youth hostels and deliberately go at non-peak times with cheap flights.*

Holidays arent a necessity, neither is alcohol, you can save on trains if you split tickets or swap to mega busing it.

Unplanned car bills are understandable but everything else you can plan for with a small emergency fund.
My rule for saving is only buy something if it's to replace an old item or is the best value possible for that item and it's something I would get a lot of us out, also I stick something on eBay if it goes unused for more than 3 months.
Lidl value brand stuff is pretty good if you don't already get everything in that range. Also check all of your bills are the cheapest possible by seeing what you can find on comparison sites. You have to make sacrifices if you want to make real decent savings( my aim is to save at least 1.5k this year on my 11k salary which I know is perfectly achievable)
Reply 7
Original post by Ljayne89
If he doesn't have the discipline to save then investing in stocks and shares would be really stupid.

Well saving isn't enough these days, given your bank account will give you literally 0.5% to 1% interest (if you are lucky). Carney is cutting the base rate to 0.25% soon, so you will be lucky to get even 1%. So it's essential OP saves enough money to dump in the stock market and chase yield.

With the devaluing of the pound, inflation will hit 2% by the end of the year, given your bank account is not giving you 2%, you are effectively losing money.

There are a lot of wonderful stocks on the FTSE 100 which have become very cheap relative to the market because of brexit fears. Persimmon, Legal and General are ones to name a few.

Hi Lavender,

Martin Lewis has a great budgeting tool and a huge amount of advice on this issue on his website that you might find helpful:

http://www.moneysavingexpert.com/banking/Budget-planning

Good luck!
Reply 9
Original post by fg45344
Well saving isn't enough these days, given your bank account will give you literally 0.5% to 1% interest (if you are lucky). Carney is cutting the base rate to 0.25% soon, so you will be lucky to get even 1%. So it's essential OP saves enough money to dump in the stock market and chase yield.

With the devaluing of the pound, inflation will hit 2% by the end of the year, given your bank account is not giving you 2%, you are effectively losing money.

There are a lot of wonderful stocks on the FTSE 100 which have become very cheap relative to the market because of brexit fears. Persimmon, Legal and General are ones to name a few.

While I am sure that you are accurate, the problem he is having is lack of discipline. Currently he cannot save any money without using it before his next pay day. It will only be a similar situation regardless of whether he is paying into some sort of stocks and shares vehicle or a savings account. In fact, should he begin investing in stocks and shares and then decides he needs the money, selling the shares + charges will mean he could potentially lose more money. He needs to become more disciplined before he even contemplates more ambitious investing.
Why do people keep referring to me as 'he' 😒
Yep - that was me! Sorry!

let's do this the quick way shall we
what are you interests/ skills?

then all you need is to turn the into a profitable venture save £30% of the profit in an account that you mustn't touch and you'll have savings building up in no time
You can save.

You are choosing not to by prioritising other things above saving.

Make a proper budget and stick to it. And I mean a proper budget, as in a spread sheet with all costs and income.
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by SophieSmall
You can save.

You are choosing not to by prioritising other things above saving.

Make a proper budget and stick to it. And I mean a proper budget, as in a spread sheet with all costs and income.

That is generally the crux of the problem or rather the elephant in the room everyone is ignoring.

One can only save by making savings a priority and for it to be a priority one needs to some sacrifices here and there which is something some people simply refuse to do and then they moan about having zero in savings.
You have two options:

1) Earn more (ie; pursue a better paid job/career, get a second job, etc)

2) Cut your outgoings - move home, move into cheaper accommodation, flat share, shop around on utility bills, cut down on entertainment costs, etc.

The best thing to do now is sort out a proper budget. Get out your bank and credit card statements and double check all of your outgoings.

Ask yourself do you really need to spend that money or do you just want to?

Can you get those goods or services cheaper elsewhere?

Once you have crunched the numbers open a high interest savings account and set up a standing order to pay whatever 'surplus' you can reasonably afford into that account on payday. Once you have built up some emergency savings then focus on paying down high interest debt first (eg; credit cards, overdrafts, personal loans, etc) because the interest on these products will be higher than what you can make from the vast majority of savings or investments!

Original post by fg45344

Pretty terrible advice for their situation.

Only invest if you can afford to lose 30-50% of their original value in the event of a "bad" year and be able to wait for several years* (if not more) for their value to rebound (which still might not happen!).

*while continuing to pay your rent/bills/etc.

Using your BP example, had you invested at the wrong time (ie; prior to the Deepwater Horizon disaster) you would have lost more than 50% of the value of your investment within the space of a couple of months. Several years on your stocks would probably still be worth 20-30% less than you paid originally!

Do not get me wrong, monthly investing is a key part of my retirement savings. However, that is based upon me having enough cash and emergency savings to pay my mortgage and bills for 6+ months. I can afford not to touch my investments and "ride out" any adverse events or downturns in the market - the OP cannot!
It is quite frightening where money goes. Buying a coffee from a shop might not mean more than £1 in some cases but if you do that every day it's over £350 a year gone. It all adds up
Original post by ch0c0h01ic
You have two options:

2) Cut your outgoings - move home, move into cheaper accommodation, flat share, shop around on utility bills, cut down on entertainment costs, etc.

The best thing to do now is sort out a proper budget. Get out your bank and credit card statements and double check all of your outgoings.

Once you have crunched the numbers open a high interest savings account and set up a standing order to pay whatever 'surplus' you can reasonably afford into that account on payday. Once you have built up some emergency savings then focus on paying down high interest debt first (eg; credit cards, overdrafts, personal loans, etc) because the interest on these products will be higher than what you can make from the vast majority of savings or investments!

Only invest if you can afford to lose 30-50% of their original value in the event of a "bad" year and be able to wait for several years* (if not more) for their value to rebound (which still might not happen!).

Using your BP example, had you invested at the wrong time (ie; prior to the Deepwater Horizon disaster) you would have lost more than 50% of the value of your investment within the space of a couple of months. Several years on your stocks would probably still be worth 20-30% less than you paid originally!

Do not get me wrong, monthly investing is a key part of my retirement savings. However, that is based upon me having enough cash and emergency savings to pay my mortgage and bills for 6+ months. I can afford not to touch my investments and "ride out" any adverse events or downturns in the market - the OP cannot!

My salary goes up each year and I'm hoping to get a promotion in the next year or two aswell so that will help. I already flat share with 2 others and my rent is very low (below £300 Pcm) - bills wise we are tied into the provider that our landlord is with so nothing I can do about that. - but it's supposedly one of the cheaper ones anyway. I need to cut down on the money I spend on extras - takeaways, taxis, nights out - things that don't seem a lot but in reality are actually accumulating.

Luckily aside from the normal student loan I have no other debt. I paid my overdraft off years ago and have never had a loan or credit card. This is something which I suppose works in my favour!

Reply 18
Original post by ch0c0h01ic
You have two options:

No it isn't, creating a steady income from dividends is amazing. I get given £130 a year from BP to do nothing, all I had to worry about was buying the stock at a good price. The whole point of investing is to hold the stock forever and reinvest dividends. You only sell if the company you think is not what it used to be, as in doing bad. By reinvesting dividends, it creates even more steady income. You can even pay your bills with that income!!

Even if the stock is worth less, why would I care, all I want is my 7.5% dividend (which also is increasing every year usually). So in a few years time I will be getting 10% just in dividend. Let the stock price fall!! I'm holding forever!

If you want short term liquid money, keep it in cash or short term bonds. Nothing wrong with keeping a couple of grand in cash for bills and rents. Any more you don't need for the next 5 years should be in the stock market, if it isn't then inflation and literally zero interest on your bank account will erode your life savings.

OP needs to start somewhere.
Original post by fg45344
No it isn't, creating a steady income from dividends is amazing. I get given £130 a year from BP to do nothing, all I had to worry about was buying the stock at a good price. The whole point of investing is to hold the stock forever and reinvest dividends. You only sell if the company you think is not what it used to be, as in doing bad. By reinvesting dividends, it creates even more steady income. You can even pay your bills with that income!!

Even if the stock is worth less, why would I care, all I want is my 7.5% dividend (which also is increasing every year usually). So in a few years time I will be getting 10% just in dividend. Let the stock price fall!! I'm holding forever!

If you want short term liquid money, keep it in cash or short term bonds. Nothing wrong with keeping a couple of grand in cash for bills and rents. Any more you don't need for the next 5 years should be in the stock market, if it isn't then inflation and literally zero interest on your bank account will erode your life savings.

OP needs to start somewhere.

Granted 7.5% is a good return, whether that be in dividends or reinvested stocks. However, to create a position whereby you could pay your household bills through dividends requires substantial capital investment (ie; £10,000s). That in itself is rather unrealistic when the OP is struggling to save at all.

Furthermore it does carry risk. Dividends are conditional on a company turning a profit or having cash reserves. Like I said, had you bought prior to Deepwater Horizon your £2000 and 7.5% dividends would be worth a hell of a let less than they are now (and you probably wouldn't be extolling the benefits of investing in BP!).

I will maintain that someone that is struggling to save should be focusing on generating more income and/or saving more of their disposable income, especially if they lack cash for emergencies and/or carry high interest debt, not investing money that they cannot afford to lose.

If I had followed your advice fresh out of uni I can tell you now that I wouldn't have been in the position to buy a house (or at least with the same level of equity) courtesy of the financial crisis and Deepwater Horizon.

I get the impression that you are younger and have less to lose...

We can agree to disagree.

Latest

Trending

Trending