Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Why are people against a Scottish independence referendum? Watch

ReputationRep:
    All I see on here is animosity towards the Scots from the English. If they bother you that much why is there so much opposition for a second referendum from the English?

ReputationRep:
    In some cases its because people don't want to see the UK break up but a lot of the hostile posting on here is from English people that don't really like Scotland but want to see the UK as something by which England rules over the Scots. They are probably the same kind of people that regard themselves as patriotic about Britain but like to **** off lots of people in Britain, Welsh, N Irish, Scousers etc

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Hussm)
    All I see on here is animosity towards the Scots from the English. If they bother you that much why is there so much opposition for a second referendum from the English?
    The main reasons are the English are getting tired of the SNP's constant threats to leave the United Kingdom & at the same time the English don't see how the SNP speak for the whole of Scotland on national matters.
    The Scot's had their independence referendum & the SNP lost. The UK then had the EU election and the SNP lost again.

Now that the political landscape has changed the SNP want another referendum on Independence yet they aren't calling for an election because they might just choose seats due to the rise in the right-wing nationally. Instead they want another referendum while they are in office.

They want to deny the Scottish fisherman a fair say because they know that Scottish coastal communities & Farmers are dominantly anti EU. Up to 40% of Scots wanted to leave the EU and there is a good chance that they will not be voting SNP.

So Sturgeon is basically being extremely pushy because she knows if an election is called her and the SNP might just loose their chance for independence.

Sturgeon is relying on the narrative that the English hate the Scots and that the English are preventing Scotland from for filling its interests.

I haven't heard Sturgeon back Nick Clegg on a new election.

I am starting to think now calling a election is the best thing to do because it will cause the following.

1. SNP may loose control of Scotland.
    2. If Article 50 isn't invoked the English will march on London.
    3. The Tories will be put out of office & Corbyn will be in power.

(Original post by Hussm)
    I don't know. If they want to go, I say good riddance.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Platopus)
    I don't know. If they want to go, I say good riddance.
    To be fair Scotland will be a lot worse off if they leave the UK.

I personally want them to do it so after a economic collapse I can buy a Scottish farming estate for 10 times less than its worth now.

Here are a couple reasons why Scotland should not leave the UK though.

1. When you take away oil revenues the rest of the UK gives Scotland £1000 more per head in tax revenue.
    2. Scotland will have to take the Euro and will have to bail it out the ticking time bomb of debt defaults across the EU.
    3. Scotland will become the new welfare hot spot as all the Eastern Europeans do a bee line for Glasgow.
    4. Mass immigration and all the related issues will turn Scotland into a far-right holiday resort.
    5. Due to the soon to be currency devaluations of the EU Whiskey will be ultra cheap and no Englishmen will be sober.

(Original post by illegaltobepoor)
    To be fair Scotland will be a lot worse off if they leave the UK.

I personally want them to do it so after a economic collapse I can buy a Scottish farming estate for 10 times less than its worth now.

Here are a couple reasons why Scotland should not leave the UK though.

1. When you take away oil revenues the rest of the UK gives Scotland £1000 more per head in tax revenue.
    2. Scotland will have to take the Euro and will have to bail it out the ticking time bomb of debt defaults across the EU.
    3. Scotland will become the new welfare hot spot as all the Eastern Europeans do a bee line for Glasgow.
    4. Mass immigration and all the related issues will turn Scotland into a far-right holiday resort.
    5. Due to the soon to be currency devaluations of the EU Whiskey will be ultra cheap and no Englishmen will be sober.
    Yeah, I accept that Scotland will be worse off if they decide to leave. However as I'm not Scottish I tend to take the view that it's their own funeral, should they want to go.

ReputationRep:
    They need 60% in order to do so, Scotland only at 52%, I'm English and I say send Scotland to EU to be the next Greece we suck up their debt and give them money too, lets see if they survive with it.

(Original post by Hussm)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Platopus)
    Yeah, I accept that Scotland will be worse off if they decide to leave. However as I'm not Scottish I tend to take the view that it's their own funeral, should they want to go.
    We need to encourage them to do it. But before we do lets invest lots of money in Gold & Silver. When we have our financial positions in check we should go to the border on the M6 with Placards saying "Do it, I've never tried your stinking food anyway and I don't want too".

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ckfeister)
    They need 60% in order to do so, Scotland only at 52%, I'm English and I say send Scotland to EU to be the next Greece we suck up their debt and give them money too, lets see if they survive with it.
    What does Glasgow & Roma Gypsy Beggers have in common? ......... Plenty of things. They'll be great together!

ReputationRep:
    I've noticed a lot of remainers believe the scots don't deserve a second referendum. They absolutely should and the remain camp should support it

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Manchester_123)
    I've noticed a lot of remainers believe the scots don't deserve a second referendum. They absolutely should and the remain camp should support it
    What? I've seen lots of remainers supporting it. It seems like the leavers are most opposed to it, because it damages their vision of bringing back the British Empire.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by JordanL_)
    What? I've seen lots of remainers supporting it. It seems like the leavers are most opposed to it, because it damages their vision of bringing back the British Empire.
    Got any supporting quotes or sources to support this statement?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by illegaltobepoor)
    Got any supporting quotes or sources to support this statement?
    It was purely anecdotal, like the comment I was responding to.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Hussm)
    They had a referendum but keep moaning that's why

Posted from TSR Mobile

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Are unpaid trial work shifts fair?
    Useful resources

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.