Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Studying Natural Sciences (Physics Pathway) Anyone else starting S111 this October? Watch

University Navigation

ReputationRep:
    Hi all,

First post here, so I just thought I'd see if anyone else doing the same?

I was originally torn between routes as my long-term aim is Astrophysics. With the options of the "Physics" route, or the "Astronomy and Planetary Science" route, the logical choice was the latter. But after some tedious research, it seems the Physics route is the best bet as the modules it contains enables you to gain full membership from the Institute of Physics. Also, teh Astronomy and Planetary Science route doesn't include the Module (S217 - Physics:From Classical to Quantum) which I think is an extremely important module!

For the people that are going the same route as me, I just thought I'd add that LMU have started doing an Astrophysic MSc which I'll be studying straight after my BSc with OU. So would be happy to speak to people about that as well. Would be cool to have a network of people on the same pathway to keep each other motivate along the journey.

Speak soon,

Mike

ReputationRep:
    Hi,
    I am starting the same degree as you in October and hoping to go straight to the masters after too, but with the OU.

I am doing Physics following the institue of physics accredited pathway. S111, MST124 and MU123 for my first year. Was going to do MST124/125 but I don't think I can remember enough of my school maths so decided on the easier pair.

Matt

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    I'm a bit confused. How are you doing mu123 at the same time as mst124? I have the course books for both and there's no way you could study both together as mu123 is needed to understand mst124. Or at least mst124 relies on the fact it expects you to be fluent in the material learned in mu123.

I'm actually studying mst124 first this October. I've decided to go down the open plus route. Will be interesting to hear what becomes of s111 being a new module

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mbch1809)
    I'm a bit confused. How are you doing mu123 at the same time as mst124? I have the course books for both and there's no way you could study both together as mu123 is needed to understand mst124. Or at least mst124 relies on the fact it expects you to be fluent in the material learned in mu123.

I'm actually studying mst124 first this October. I've decided to go down the open plus route. Will be interesting to hear what becomes of s111 being a new module

I am starting MU123 in October and MST124 in January. I spoke to the OU and they said it would be possible to do that but as you say, they were really designed to follow on from each other.

I did higher maths at school so covered everything in MST124 to some extent, I am just struggling a bit to remember some of it! My thinking is it will all come back to me once I get started. MU123 shouldn't be much of a problem, I got 100% on the quiz without really thinking about it.

I agree, it will be interesting to see what the content is compared to S104. How does open plus work then? It's at a brick uni as well as OU?

ReputationRep:
    Sorry for the late reply. I'm surprised you didn't just get the books and save money. What I did. It's a great course though as it not only teaches you part of gcse math, but it goes into detail of not just one method, but multiple methods. Even better is that it reads like a non fiction book so rather than just showing the method, it shows you how it applies practically to ways you may use it in life.

The open plus is studying mst124, mst224, s217, and and sxp module which is practical. This then let's you progress into the second year of a brick university. I'm aiming to go into 1st year as the course I'm wanting to do is 50:50 with astrophysics, so were slightly adjusting the modules I'm studying. Because mst224 would add an extra year of study, and I prob wouldn't need it, we're seeing if mst124 and 125 can be studies as I'm doing them together. So would only last 2 years at the open uni. Mst124 doesn't contain all of alevel math, so Sheffield are just checking mst125 will fill in the blanks. And if entering 1st year, I'd also not be required to do the sxp practical module.

Are you wanting to do it part time? As if highly recommend this route.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    I'd also recommend getting a second opinion on the mu123 being counted towards your degree. When I was discussing it with open, even though it says level one, it's classed as an introductory module, so I would still have to get 30 credits from a different module. Otherwise it'd be an open degree. They might have changed it since of course, so don't quote me on if that still applies.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    I am 😀
    I haven't decided which pathway to go downyet, but it'll either be biology or physics.

What sort of pre reading are you guys doing for this module? I'm not really sure what to expect from it, it doesn't look as if reading up on cell biology or electron orbitals (just as examples) would be particularly relevant to this module.

ReputationRep:
    Hi Dave,
    From the look of it S111 going to be quite broad . I have had a read over a couple of my old GCSE textbooks just get general refresh of the sciences again. If you have a look at the module description it lists the 11 topics covered so you can get an idea of what might be worth reading up on.

The module material is available from the 13th September, so my thinking is I will look over it and see if there is anything in particular I need to read up on. I think the month leading up to the module start should be enough.

Matt

ReputationRep:
    Yea I've had a look at the descriptions but its quite different from just saying-this is the biology section, and this the chemistry'

I'm just reading over the processes of science, history and philosophy of science and of course, bad and pseudoscience for now.

Is anyone going down the biology pathway after the first module?

ReputationRep:
    Hi,

I'm in the same boat as you, going down the Physics route with the hope of Astrophysics later down the line. I'm doing both MST124/125, so I'm hoping this next month will be enough to refresh my A-Level Maths! Been a few years since I've even touched it.

Has anybody got any recommended reading for S111? Could do with a quick refresher there as well,

Will.

ReputationRep:
    In my experience (HND Engineering) It's the maths that kills students off the quickest in any technical study.

ReputationRep:
    I am going down the biology pathway I chose to switch to S111 after hitting the chemistry book in s104 and finding the book slightly perplexing as to some of the things it was trying to say though it turned out I was not the only one as several people where having to leave out whole questions on the tma ven though some of them had done quite well at chemistry I thought that book especially if you hadn't done chemistry before was quite confusing I had done bio chemistry before but when it came to non organic chemistry I got the feeling the book was not explaining itself too great. On Looking at S111 I don't think its too broad S104 touched on a wide range of things but for me the lack of flow and consistency was a bit hard to swallow I think S111 is better in the way they write it and in a question style I do however wander why the last TMA accounts for a massive 40% of the ocas score?

Hi everyone. I've just signed up and paid (ouch!) today for S111 and SK277 Human Biology. Will probably go down the biology pathway if my first choice (graduate entry medical school) doesn't pan out before then. I did S103 (was running before S104 I think) years ago and received a certificate in natural sciences so I'm hoping that S111 will be mostly revision - hence doing a level 2 course at the same time.
    Anyone else heard of or done anything similar - two different levels at once?

ReputationRep:
    I'm just curious if the biology pathway not being accredited by the royal society of biology willmake any difference in the long run, such as applying to post grade in a brick uni or getting work?

Also if it's possible and easy to get accredited yourself?

ReputationRep:
    I'm doing S111 part-time alongside two AS-levels and A2. I'm wondering if I've taken on too much?

I plan to study medicine, though. But, I don't want to do more A-level exams - so felt this was a way to get more on paper without exams. Now I'm unsure. Does anyone have any idea how much time this module will take-up part-time?

ReputationRep:
    S111 is 60 credits, so 16 hours of study per week. Although I've heard Level 1 modules take about 12-16 hours. Level 2 14-18 hours. And Level 3 requires around 20 hours due to packing in more content. I guess it ranges though. But 16 hours would be the best estimate to keep yourself running efficiently and on time, if not getting ahead and loosening the work load should you reach a section you need to spend a bit more time on

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: September 29, 2016
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Should Spain allow Catalonia to declare independence?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.