Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    It's a little far in advance for me to be thinking being that I haven't completed my GCSEs yet, but I really want to get into the legal industry someday, hopefully to become a paralegal, legal executive or legal secretary.

However, what with rising tuition fees, I am not entirely sure whether university will be an option for me yet, so I am hoping to explore as many options as possible.

I am potentially thinking about applying for a CILEx apprenticeship, since apprenticeships are a fast-track to a career in Law without having to worry about mounting student debt and being paid whilst learning on the job. However, I need a little advice on whether or not this is a good option for me, and possibly a little explanation on how the CILEx apprenticeship scheme works.

Please help! I need advice preferably before my A Levels because if I end up going onto higher education instead, I will need to pick A Levels relevant to my chosen course.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Lydia2213)
    It's a little far in advance for me to be thinking being that I haven't completed my GCSEs yet, but I really want to get into the legal industry someday, hopefully to become a paralegal, legal executive or legal secretary.

However, what with rising tuition fees, I am not entirely sure whether university will be an option for me yet, so I am hoping to explore as many options as possible.

I am potentially thinking about applying for a CILEx apprenticeship, since apprenticeships are a fast-track to a career in Law without having to worry about mounting student debt and being paid whilst learning on the job. However, I need a little advice on whether or not this is a good option for me, and possibly a little explanation on how the CILEx apprenticeship scheme works.

Please help! I need advice preferably before my A Levels because if I end up going onto higher education instead, I will need to pick A Levels relevant to my chosen course.
    My mum works in the legal profession - she thinks the apprenticeship route is a good alternative but she says it's really hard work. ILEX takes 4 years and it's usually studying in your own time (maybe one day a week at college or distance learning) alongside working full time. Legal Execs don't usually earn as much as solicitors and the pay can be low whilst training. Maybe try for some work experience in a local firm to get a feel for it? Good luck.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by AmyPilot)
    My mum works in the legal profession - she thinks the apprenticeship route is a good alternative but she says it's really hard work. ILEX takes 4 years and it's usually studying in your own time (maybe one day a week at college or distance learning) alongside working full time. Legal Execs don't usually earn as much as solicitors and the pay can be low whilst training. Maybe try for some work experience in a local firm to get a feel for it? Good luck.

Really helpful advice, thank you!

ReputationRep:
    You could also look at degree apprenticeships within the legal sector. This route is under going some pretty big changes at the moment, but by the time you would be looking to apply it will be a lot clearer what opportunities are out there.There is an apprenticeship levy coming in next April and it means many more firms will be looking to introduce apprenticeships. The development of a new apprentice scheme called "Trailblazer" means that apprentices will be able to become fully qualified too. The first Trailblazer apprenticeship programmes only start this September so it is a very new route and there isn't a lot of information out there, but I suspect by the time you are coming close to finishing your A-levels (or equivalent) and are looking for opportunities like this there will be a lot more out there.

Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.