Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hi everyone,
    I'm due to start uni this September studying adult nursing and am really excited. I have one small issue, I've booked and paid for a 10 day holiday to Thailand next February for my 30th birthday, that's the only reason I'm going as it's obviously once in a lifetime and for a big birthday. I'm really scared about telling my uni as I don't know what they will say about me taking the time off....we haven't got our timetable yet but I went for a taster day and they said we get around 7 weeks off but the only annual leave confirmed at this point is 2 weeks over Christmas!
    Does anyone know what the conditions are about taking time off? I don't want to loose my place but the holiday was paid for ages ago before I got the offer of a place! ☹️😔
    • TSR Support Team
    • PS Reviewer
    • Clearing and Applications Advisor

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by emd87)
    Hi everyone,
    I'm due to start uni this September studying adult nursing and am really excited. I have one small issue, I've booked and paid for a 10 day holiday to Thailand next February for my 30th birthday, that's the only reason I'm going as it's obviously once in a lifetime and for a big birthday. I'm really scared about telling my uni as I don't know what they will say about me taking the time off....we haven't got our timetable yet but I went for a taster day and they said we get around 7 weeks off but the only annual leave confirmed at this point is 2 weeks over Christmas!
    Does anyone know what the conditions are about taking time off? I don't want to loose my place but the holiday was paid for ages ago before I got the offer of a place! ☹️😔
    It's really something you would need to discuss with the uni as all have slightly different policies regarding time off. If it's during placement, you will need to make the hours up at another point, which is usually not too much trouble. If you're due to be at uni and have exams, clinical skills sessions etc. then it can be more of an issue because some of these sessions are likely to be held by external people who are paid to come in and deliver them. As much as I'd like to reassure you, it's unfortunately not possible for me to advise whether this will cause you problems or not and is something you would need to discuss with them.

ReputationRep:
    Like the above said, it really is hard to advise without knowing your timetable/university. My university were more or less okay as long as you had proof it was a prior commitment, and it didn't clash with any exams/clinical sessions etc. I suggest that as soon as you get your timetable, you contact your personal tutor and if need be, include proof the holiday was booked way in advance.

ReputationRep:
    Thanks a lot for replying they said they are splitting us into 2 groups and one of the groups are on placement at that time I'm due to go away so hopefully if that's the case and I'm in that group I might be able to just make up the hours like you say :-) fingers crossed
    I will speak to them on induction

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Are unpaid trial work shifts fair?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.