Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hi, if anybody could please give some advice on how someone graduating with a first class physics degree from a RG uni can make it into investment banking? What are the appropriate steps to take? Is an internship after a BSc a must or is it better to apply for graduate schemes (or both)? Any comments will be much appreciated!
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    (Original post by eliasben)
    Hi, if anybody could please give some advice on how someone graduating with a first class physics degree from a RG uni can make it into investment banking? What are the appropriate steps to take? Is an internship after a BSc a must or is it better to apply for graduate schemes (or both)? Any comments will be much appreciated!
    - understand what careers in finance are available then pick an area
    - research the technical info for that area
    - build your CV up (if its not already built up)
    - network
    - read the news
    - apply to internships, both off cycle and summer
    - if you want to do something in the meanwhile, I'd advise getting some work experience somewhere
    - smash interviews and assessment centres
    - offer

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Which division are you interested in?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Princepieman)
    - understand what careers in finance are available then pick an area
    - research the technical info for that area
    - build your CV up (if its not already built up)
    - network
    - read the news
    - apply to internships, both off cycle and summer
    - if you want to do something in the meanwhile, I'd advise getting some work experience somewhere
    - smash interviews and assessment centres
    - offer

thanks for the helpful comments.
    Posted from TSR Mobile
    (Original post by Terry Tibbs)
    Which division are you interested in?
    investment banking division, delivering banking services for industries, client services, building relationships and executing transactions etc

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by eliasben)
    investment banking division, delivering banking services for industries, client services, building relationships and executing transactions etc
    Hi, this pretty much doesn't mean anything! Haha - I suggest you read a little bit about what investment banking is. What is the sell side, what is the buy side, what does each side actually DO. I don't believe you need to have picked a division within IBD at this stage (as the above poster implied) but I do think its important to have an awareness of what types of divisions exists. IBD-type transactions are features frequently in the news and its really a very fascinating industry to work in. Good luck to you
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    (Original post by Arbe)
    Hi, this pretty much doesn't mean anything! Haha - I suggest you read a little bit about what investment banking is. What is the sell side, what is the buy side, what does each side actually DO. I don't believe you need to have picked a division within IBD at this stage (as the above poster implied) but I do think its important to have an awareness of what types of divisions exists. IBD-type transactions are features frequently in the news and its really a very fascinating industry to work in. Good luck to you
    Not IBD specifically, more divisions within the wider bank. Defaulting to IBD is a mistake a lot of people make.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Princepieman)
    Not IBD specifically, more divisions within the wider bank. Defaulting to IBD is a mistake a lot of people make.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Only division worth working in
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    (Original post by Arbe)
    Only division worth working in
    Lol

Posted from TSR Mobile

Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?
Useful resources

Articles:

Guide to investment bankingGuide to consultancy

Featured recruiter profiles:

Deutsche Bank logo

Deutsche Bank is recruiting

"Thrive in an international banking environment"

Quick link:

Unanswered investment banking and consultancy threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.