The Student Room Group

Physics graduate wanting to go into investment banking...

Hi, if anybody could please give some advice on how someone graduating with a first class physics degree from a RG uni can make it into investment banking? What are the appropriate steps to take? Is an internship after a BSc a must or is it better to apply for graduate schemes (or both)? Any comments will be much appreciated!
Original post by eliasben
Hi, if anybody could please give some advice on how someone graduating with a first class physics degree from a RG uni can make it into investment banking? What are the appropriate steps to take? Is an internship after a BSc a must or is it better to apply for graduate schemes (or both)? Any comments will be much appreciated!

- understand what careers in finance are available then pick an area
- research the technical info for that area
- build your CV up (if its not already built up)
- network
- read the news
- apply to internships, both off cycle and summer
- if you want to do something in the meanwhile, I'd advise getting some work experience somewhere
- smash interviews and assessment centres
- offer

Posted from TSR Mobile
Which division are you interested in?
Reply 3
Original post by Princepieman
- understand what careers in finance are available then pick an area
- research the technical info for that area
- build your CV up (if its not already built up)
- network
- read the news
- apply to internships, both off cycle and summer
- if you want to do something in the meanwhile, I'd advise getting some work experience somewhere
- smash interviews and assessment centres
- offer

thanks for the helpful comments.
Posted from TSR Mobile

Original post by Terry Tibbs
Which division are you interested in?

investment banking division, delivering banking services for industries, client services, building relationships and executing transactions etc
Reply 4
Original post by eliasben
investment banking division, delivering banking services for industries, client services, building relationships and executing transactions etc

Hi, this pretty much doesn't mean anything! Haha - I suggest you read a little bit about what investment banking is. What is the sell side, what is the buy side, what does each side actually DO. I don't believe you need to have picked a division within IBD at this stage (as the above poster implied) but I do think its important to have an awareness of what types of divisions exists. IBD-type transactions are features frequently in the news and its really a very fascinating industry to work in. Good luck to you :smile:
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by Arbe
Hi, this pretty much doesn't mean anything! Haha - I suggest you read a little bit about what investment banking is. What is the sell side, what is the buy side, what does each side actually DO. I don't believe you need to have picked a division within IBD at this stage (as the above poster implied) but I do think its important to have an awareness of what types of divisions exists. IBD-type transactions are features frequently in the news and its really a very fascinating industry to work in. Good luck to you :smile:

Not IBD specifically, more divisions within the wider bank. Defaulting to IBD is a mistake a lot of people make.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 6
Original post by Princepieman
Not IBD specifically, more divisions within the wider bank. Defaulting to IBD is a mistake a lot of people make.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Only division worth working in
Original post by Arbe
Only division worth working in

Lol

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending