Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

I've been struggling with anxiety and emotional dysregulation and been on antidepressants for a while. I have recently been diagnosed with OCD too. I find it very hard talking about with anyone because I feel so ashamed of it. I feel so different and alone. I don't know what to do.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anonymous)
    I've been struggling with anxiety and emotional dysregulation and been on antidepressants for a while. I have recently been diagnosed with OCD too. I find it very hard talking about with anyone because I feel so ashamed of it. I feel so different and alone. I don't know what to do.
    You really are not alone. There is nothing to be ashamed of trust me! Try looking online for groups etc that can help. I know my friend is on one that is purley online so if you want to be anonymous you can be. Perhaps you can also try counselling? Its up to you. If you want to PM me to talknfeel free to do so ☺. I hope you are OK.
    • Very Important Poster

Very Important Poster
    Ar what stage of your education are you? GCSE, A levels, Uni?
    Are you seeing your GP?
    Are you getting any therapy?

What about support groups?
    It will make things less bleak if you cna get a support group ratehr than keep it all to yourself.

(Original post by Bham369)
    You really are not alone. There is nothing to be ashamed of trust me! Try looking online for groups etc that can help. I know my friend is on one that is purley online so if you want to be anonymous you can be. Perhaps you can also try counselling? Its up to you. If you want to PM me to talknfeel free to do so ☺. I hope you are OK.
    Thank you. I'll try looking for groups online

(Original post by 999tigger)
    Ar what stage of your education are you? GCSE, A levels, Uni?
    Are you seeing your GP?
    Are you getting any therapy?

What about support groups?
    It will make things less bleak if you cna get a support group ratehr than keep it all to yourself.
    I'm at GCSE at the moment. I'm doing CBT with a psychologist but I've been seeing the same people since November and I've just been going throughs peaks and lows with my moods...
    • Very Important Poster

Very Important Poster
    I'm at GCSE at the moment. I'm doing CBT with a psychologist but I've been seeing the same people since November and I've just been going throughs peaks and lows with my moods...
    Well stick with it and work with your GP.

The CBT is very good.

You might wnat to keep a diary and then share your thoughts with your parents or someone you trust. If you start to understand it then you can work on a plan to deal with it. It is possible to get better.

Exercise helps as does talking.

http://www.youngminds.org.uk/for_par...n_young_people

Has groups that might be appropriate.

http://www.ocduk.org/young-peoples-ocd-guide
    http://www.ocdaction.org.uk/forum
    http://www.youngminds.org.uk/for_chi...sions/ocd_help

Hang in there. Keep reaching out and talking to people.
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    I went through the exact same feelings and I can tell you its totally normal to feel like that after a diagnosis. I was diagnosed with OCD as a child so it didn't really bother me as I was too young to understand the meaning but as I got older and realised just how ill I was and when I developed other MH illnesses, I went through a phrase of being deeply ashamed, embarrassed and felt weak. What got me through that phrase was being as open as I could about my MH problems both in real life and online and I realised that the responses from friends, family and even strangers were encouraging. They didn't see me as a freak or weird, they accepted I had an illness and wanted to know more instead of just shutting away from me.

That build up my confidence as well as made me realise I wasn't alone as I found people with the exact same OCD obsessions and compulsions I have which was a shock as I felt I was the only one and also found out friends had similar problems but were too scared to come out and say it until I went public about mine and now they have the confidence and no feelings of shame or guilt like they did in the past.

It is hard to accept you are ill but over time, you do learn to accept and find ways to cope and the feelings of shame, guilt etc will lessen. Its good to have an outlet like TSR or other MH forums to talk to like minded people to see you aren't alone and you have people out there willing to support you

(Original post by 999tigger)
    Well stick with it and work with your GP.

The CBT is very good.

You might wnat to keep a diary and then share your thoughts with your parents or someone you trust. If you start to understand it then you can work on a plan to deal with it. It is possible to get better.

Exercise helps as does talking.

http://www.youngminds.org.uk/for_par...n_young_people

Has groups that might be appropriate.

http://www.ocduk.org/young-peoples-ocd-guide
    http://www.ocdaction.org.uk/forum
    http://www.youngminds.org.uk/for_chi...sions/ocd_help

Hang in there. Keep reaching out and talking to people.
    Thank you

(Original post by Spock's Socks)
    I went through the exact same feelings and I can tell you its totally normal to feel like that after a diagnosis. I was diagnosed with OCD as a child so it didn't really bother me as I was too young to understand the meaning but as I got older and realised just how ill I was and when I developed other MH illnesses, I went through a phrase of being deeply ashamed, embarrassed and felt weak. What got me through that phrase was being as open as I could about my MH problems both in real life and online and I realised that the responses from friends, family and even strangers were encouraging. They didn't see me as a freak or weird, they accepted I had an illness and wanted to know more instead of just shutting away from me.

That build up my confidence as well as made me realise I wasn't alone as I found people with the exact same OCD obsessions and compulsions I have which was a shock as I felt I was the only one and also found out friends had similar problems but were too scared to come out and say it until I went public about mine and now they have the confidence and no feelings of shame or guilt like they did in the past.

It is hard to accept you are ill but over time, you do learn to accept and find ways to cope and the feelings of shame, guilt etc will lessen. Its good to have an outlet like TSR or other MH forums to talk to like minded people to see you aren't alone and you have people out there willing to support you
    Thank you, this means a lot

ReputationRep:
    What's to be shameful about?

ReputationRep:
    You are not alone. I have both depression and anxiety so i know how you feel. If you want to talk just PM me x

(Original post by JamesManc)
    What's to be shameful about?
    It's complicated. My obsessions and compulsions and the smallest things I get panicked by. It's so stupid.

(Original post by Miniature99)
    You are not alone. I have both depression and anxiety so i know how you feel. If you want to talk just PM me x
    That's nice to know. Thank you

ReputationRep:
    Your judgement of your condition is keeping it out of reach for you. I don't think that anyone with OCD is proud of their condition, but being able to recognise what your rational mind and emotional mind is trying to do will help you to accept what is going on.

In the background there could be superstitious beliefs and/or guilt (when you haven't done what you've programmed your mind to do). These drive the OCD.

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: July 8, 2016
Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.