The Student Room Group

Failed MSc/diss., now what...?

Hi guys,

got the devastating news that i failed my dissertation, meaning that in best case scenario i will get a postgrad. dipl. (though it is also yet to be confirmed...). MSc in Finance is the main objective for me, so i would like to ask for advice:

1. In case i get the postgrad - i read on forums that it is possible to apply at a different uni to work on your dissertation and get the MSc. Hopefully much quicker and cheaper... Does anyone has experience with this? Possibly some tips on universities which would accept such students?

2. Other possibility is that i will not get the postgrad dipl. and would just get credits for the modules I ve completed... similar question - did someone had experience with re-applying and getting his credit counted in, so the MSc is shorter (and cheaper...)

In case you have any other tips of suggestions, I will be glad to read them.

Thank you for your time and help.
First off, why did you fail your dissertation and is there any way of getting it remarked or redoing it? An MSc needs a dissertation so if you've struggled with this one what is to say you won't struggle with another?

The only way to find out about doing your dissertation elsewhere or taking your credits elsewhere is to contact unis and find out how they'll view you. If not a postgrad dip can you get a cert? It's easier to leave with some kind of qualification to finish elsewhere than with just credits.
Reply 2
Original post by alleycat393
First off, why did you fail your dissertation and is there any way of getting it remarked or redoing it? An MSc needs a dissertation so if you've struggled with this one what is to say you won't struggle with another?

The only way to find out about doing your dissertation elsewhere or taking your credits elsewhere is to contact unis and find out how they'll view you. If not a postgrad dip can you get a cert? It's easier to leave with some kind of qualification to finish elsewhere than with just credits.

Long story short - markers considered the dissertation to be weak and not up to standards of the university. I missed the passing grade (50) by 10 points... This is also troubling me - as you said - I do not know if I will be able to perform better if I would be given a chance... but i must try.

The decision of the uni commission is couple of month away, so am still not sure what they will award me with (if anything at all).
And what does your supervisor have to say about that? Because if it wasn't up to university standards your supervisor would have picked up on it .
Reply 4
Original post by alleycat393
And what does your supervisor have to say about that? Because if it wasn't up to university standards your supervisor would have picked up on it .

From all that shock i totally forgot to actually check with him what is his opinion on the result. Dropped him an email ... so I will let you know on the feedback.

(thank you for your time)
Reply 5
Hey man I’m submitting mine tomorrow and I’m so nervous about it so I just want to ask how your doing 5 years after failing?
Original post by Zjiko
Hey man I’m submitting mine tomorrow and I’m so nervous about it so I just want to ask how your doing 5 years after failing?

This user hasn't posted since 2016, so I don't think you'll get a response from them.
Reply 7
Original post by PhoenixFortune
This user hasn't posted since 2016, so I don't think you'll get a response from them.

Yh you’re probably worth a try though 🤷🏿*♂️

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending