Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

India advice please(and/or Hong Kong if anyone knows anything) Watch

ReputationRep:
    I want to know about Shimla especially, and Darjeeling and Assam, the elevated cooler parts. I'd also like to know about Kerala and Sri Lanka. Safety, climate, insects, dangerous creatures, hygeine etc. It seems like weirdly, the summers are way hotter up north than down south, besides the hill stations. Anyhow, what are the hotels/hostels like and the shops in the regions I mentioned?

I'm really fascinated to go, especially Shimla.

Oh and I didn't want o make two threads, but am also curious about Hong Kong.
    Again, temperatures, creatures, dangers etc.

Oh and also, for both places how many people speak English, and what is this like across Indian regions?

Will rep.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SaucissonSecCy)
    I want to know about Shimla especially, and Darjeeling and Assam, the elevated cooler parts. I'd also like to know about Kerala and Sri Lanka. Safety, climate, insects, dangerous creatures, hygeine etc. It seems like weirdly, the summers are way hotter up north than down south, besides the hill stations. Anyhow, what are the hotels/hostels like and the shops in the regions I mentioned?

I'm really fascinated to go, especially Shimla.

Oh and I didn't want o make two threads, but am also curious about Hong Kong.
    Again, temperatures, creatures, dangers etc.

Oh and also, for both places how many people speak English, and what is this like across Indian regions?

Will rep.
    Hi, I can't advise about Shimla, Darjeeling or Assam but have heard they are amazing.
    My mum is from Kerala, and I go every year so I can answer any questions you have about there.
    Safety: As long as you're careful, and don't wander around strange places alone at night you will be fine! It's a very safe and progressive state in general.
    Climate: Don't go in June/July/early August as this is the monsoon season and man, does it rain. It's horrendous. Don't go at the height of summer either though - this is usually around November/Decmeber time. It gets extremely hot, especially in recent year due to climate change; even then Kerala is a lot less hot than the north or Tamil Nadu because of the trees and lush landscape.
    insects: Take malarial tablets if you haven't been exposed to tropical countries.
    dangerous creatures : unless you go to a tiger sanctuary, you won't encounter any. Don't walk through long grass fields in shorts because there are snakes.
    Hygiene: Very hygienic in general, so long as you're careful about where you eat and sleep.
    Hostels : no such thing as good youth hostels; they are a risk. I would strongly recommend hotels; make sure you check their reputation because it is a developing country and there are some pretty awful ones. That said there are some amazing ones too, check trip advisor and stuff for reviews. There are some nice B&Bs but you have to check their safety ratings before you decide to stay there.
    English : MOST LITERATE STATE IN INDIA. sorry, I had to. Anyways, the younger generation especially has a great grasp of English and most people will speak it wherever you go.

Places I would recommend in Kerala:
    Kochin - especially fort Kochi
    Kumarakom - to experience the backwaters of Kerala
    Thekkady - mountainous forests where you can ride elephants and stuff!
    Trivandrum - some amazing temples in the area

Good luck with making a decision and happy travels!

ReputationRep:
    Hygine is piss poor, you will see people quite literally crap in the street and spit left and right. do not drink the water from a tap, eat food from vendors [half the time its usally days old] and bring hand gel & immodium :rolleyes:
    When iwent wefound it prudent to avoid western food in general and stick to the local food, tastier any way! Oh and visit the roadside Chai sstalls!

HK though, superbly clean, any kind of food you could wish for, very crowded though, they'll speak a better degree of English due to it being British till '99. A hell of a lot more expensive than india though..

ReputationRep:
    Hong Kong ranks No 1 in the world in terms of infrastructure, and its public transportation system assessibility is also No 1.

Hong Kong is No 1 on Earth for number of skyscrapers - in fact, it has more skyscrapers than Europe.

Most visited city on Earth.

Highest life expectancy.

Very high human development and since there have been lists, Hong Kong has been listed as a first-world country.

Some time No 1 airport, airline, theme park, test scores. Higher education ranks Top 10 in the world with Hong Kong University having been No 1 in Asia-Pacific and as high as No 18 on QS (dentistry is currently No 1).

One of the biggest financial centres. One of the least corrupt nations. One of the most assisible passports. One of the best in terms of the rule of law. Top 5 stock exchange. Top 15 most exchanged currency.

One of the top cities for Michilen stars. Fast food restaurants sell real food. Lots of street food.

Plenty of Wi-Fi hotspots.

60-75% green. Total area bigger than Luxemburg (if counting waters).

Oldest surviving structure dates back to the year 25. Indigenous buildings and people still exist. Have both colonial and Chinese buildings. Museums are very cheap, some are free.

English is an official language and is taught from kindergarten. It's the only language of the universities. The substantial expatriate group of Filipinos are mostly university-educated and use English to communicate with the locals. English popular cultures are popular but Cantonese ones are still dominant. There are English newspapers, including one free one.

Indian food is particularly authentic due to their being prepared by ethnic Indians.

There's the world's only surviving double-deck tram, world's only tram to give you an optical illusion of a tiled world, world's only golden loo, and world's best skyline at night. There's also a Disneyland and the harbour has a lazer show every night.

Many holidays, many festivals. A variety of local cultures on the islands and in the north. Largely irreligious but there are more than 600 places of worship for many different religions. The Mormon boys are cute.

Violent crimes are very rare and firearm-related intentional murders usually are at 0.

Emergency rooms treat foreigners.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Napp)
    HK though, superbly clean, any kind of food you could wish for, very crowded though, they'll speak a better degree of English due to it being British till '99. A hell of a lot more expensive than india though..
    1997. 1999 was Macau.

Indeed Hong Kong was most recently listed as the most expensive city for expats. It also has the world's most unaffordable housing.

ReputationRep:
    Talking about Shimla, it's a beautiful place. It won't be very expensive esp. in comparison to HK. I can't really point out a difference between summer temperatures bc I didn't feel any (but i guess that's because I'm from northern India myself idk). As for safety, it's a place which gets a HUGE amount of tourists all the time so the safety measures are there, the same goes for hotels/hostels, there are plenty. Network can be a problem, depends on the place you're staying, but it's available almost everywhere. Don't worry about the communication problem, they're used to getting tourists from everywhere, and English is the second official language over there so it's fine. About hygeine, as already mentioned, don't eat from roadside vendors, carry a hand sanitizer, and yeah seriously don't drink tap water, carry some water with you.
    Now I guess I've answered all your questions, all that aside- try the ethnic food! Also, there is a LOT to shop for: clothes, handicrafts, jewellery, etc etc.
    Almost forgot this bc I'm an atheist and don't particularly care about this one but : you'll find temples, mosques, churches, other such religious places literally everywhere you go in India, and so there will be many in Shimla too, those are some nice spots for tourists as well (the architecture is fascinating).
    About Darjeeling, it's my personal favourite: visit it when it's rainy, that's the best time imo, there's tea which is incredible, and as an avid tea drinker, it has my approval (most of the tea in India comes from the east and it's AMAZING), for shopping: p much the same as Shimla, home decor, Tibetan carpets and artifacts, etc. There are trams (!!), idk i just really find them fascinating,food will be milder than the food in Shimla, the north and the west have spicier food. Otherwise most of the things are similar to what I said about Shimla, I could go on but I guess this should do aha.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you like to hibernate through the winter months?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.