Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Driving on the motorway for the first time today watch

ReputationRep:
    So I drove on the motorway today with my dad for the first time after 3 and a half years (YES, this is what UNI does to you when you do not drive, a long story anyways)

Anyways, I am slightly confused about the rules regarding driving on the motorway. My dad told me to stay in the left lane because I was slow, but then as I became faster he told me to change into the middle lane and then I felt a bit cheeky and like a boss and went into the right lane. I had to go back into the middle lane because people were tailgaiting me - but I seriously don't get it. Is the right lane an express lane or something? My dad told me off for going into that lane though.

People in the lane were doing like 100mp -literally. I don't get it - are there not cameras

ReputationRep:
    LMAO. How can you not know this considering that you've been to uni and presumably passed your driving test?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Silver Arrow)
    LMAO. How can you not know this considering that you've been to uni and presumably passed your driving test?
    Erm maybe because I didn't really drive my car for 3 and a half years! I drive to the supermarket down to the next block every now and then - but I would not consider myself as a regular driver

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Silver Arrow)
    Well that's no excuse but I guess not everyone is a car nut like I am. Basically the left lane is where you're supposed to be but it's mostly used by lorries and other slow vehicles.

The right lane is the fast lane where people drive fast. You're supposed to use it to overtake and then move back to the left but most use it to put the pedal to the metal. The middle lane is for when you wanna go faster than the HGVs in the slow lane, but not speeding like the people on the right. Beware of hogging this lane though as you can get fined.

Regarding speed cameras they are present on motorways although not as common as you might think and plenty of people drive at 85-90mph. If you do see warnings that speed cameras are present then obviously slow down.
    What do you mean by hogging the lane? I keep hearing this everywhere
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    (Original post by samklipas0)
    Erm maybe because I didn't really drive my car for 3 and a half years! I drive to the supermarket down to the next block every now and then - but I would not consider myself as a regular driver
    Yeah no offence but you shouldn't be on the road if you don't know how it works. This isn't a matter of being a regular driver or not. It's a matter of just knowing how the roads work. I'm no regular driver and haven't even been on a motorway by myself since passing my test but still know how they work.

And the simple explanation is they basically work like dual carriageways. Speed limit is 70 unless otherwise stated. Anyone going faster is illegally speeding (ignore obvious exceptions like police). You should try to stay in the left hand lane (driving lane). The middle and right hand lanes are for overtaking only and you shouldn't be driving continuously in them when the left lane is free.

Because of the nature of motorways it's not uncommon to find the left lane occupied by HGV's and other vehicles (towed caravans, etc.) limited to doing 50 or 60MpH. As a result you may find yourself driving in the middle lane extensively while overtaking. It's perfectly fair to drive in the middle lane, continuously overtaking slower traffic although if there's a large enough gap you should really be pulling back in. Similar scenario can occur forcing you to drive in the right hand lane.

Simple put though the left hand lane is for driving. The middle and right hand lanes are for overtaking. Naturally there are exceptions, such as when leaving or joining a motorway but on the whole you should be sticking to the left hand lane and only driving in other lanes when you are overtaking traffic moving slower than yourself. Feeling like a boss and deciding to drive in the right lane suggests you aren't mature enough to be driving, especially if you aren't aware what the lane is for. Your dad was right to berate you. Please don't drive again unless you're fully aware of what you're doing. Motorways are dangerous places to be if you don't know what you're up to. Not as dangerous as country roads though. I recommend reading the highway code.

Hogging the lane simply refers to sitting in a lane for longer than necessary. For example if you're sitting in the middle lane unnecessarily you're taking up one of the overtaking lanes. If a car wishes to overtake you there's only one lane they can use (the right lane) instead of the 2 they'd have if you were using the left lane.

ReputationRep:
    So I drove on the motorway today with my dad for the first time after 3 and a half years (YES, this is what UNI does to you when you do not drive, a long story anyways)

Anyways, I am slightly confused about the rules regarding driving on the motorway. My dad told me to stay in the left lane because I was slow, but then as I became faster he told me to change into the middle lane and then I felt a bit cheeky and like a boss and went into the right lane. I had to go back into the middle lane because people were tailgaiting me - but I seriously don't get it. Is the right lane an express lane or something? My dad told me off for going into that lane though.

People in the lane were doing like 100mp -literally. I don't get it - are there not cameras
    Basically the general rule is keep left, pass right. You have to stay in the left lane and use right lane only for passing slower vehicles or entering toll gates etc.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mr. Petrol Head)
    Basically the general rule is keep left, pass right. You have to stay in the left lane and use right lane only for passing slower vehicles or entering toll gates etc.
    I see, I think it is making sense. Although, I don't get how people go above 70mph on a motorway. I was driving at about 74mph and there are cars overtaking me going at about 100mph. Are there not speed cameras on the M11 or something?

ReputationRep:
    I see, I think it is making sense. Although, I don't get how people go above 70mph on a motorway. I was driving at about 74mph and there are cars overtaking me going at about 100mph. Are there not speed cameras on the M11 or something?
    They are basically some idiots or some experienced drivers, who have been driving on motorways for years, they might know exactly where speed radars are placed. That's why you see some doing that, be aware there might me some undercover cops pretending to be normal civilians driving a normal car, they might speed and tempt you to speed and get trapped.

Poll
Who is your favourite TV detective?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.