Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

So this is my story so far

At school I achieved very well 9 A* 3 A at GCSE and 3 A* and A at A-level.

I got into Durham Univeristy to do maths with a year abroad and developee severe social anxiety throughout. I recently graduated with a 2:2 hons

I feel really down about myself as I had good potential and now my degree is not considered 'good' and I feel I could have had the potential to really excel. I also have intense social anxiety.

So now I feel very down and I really do not know what to do with myself. Even leaving the hosue is an issue for me. I was wondering if anyone could offer some advice

ReputationRep:
    It is fine to mope about... for a short period of time. But then it is time to pick yourself up, dust yourself down and get on with life. You haven't failed. You have a load of shining As from school and a good degree from a good university. I have a Desmond and have done very well for myself thank you very much. Employers are not just looking at your degree. They are looking at you. If you are bright, outward looking type with a sparkle in your eye, that will count for so much more. And a 2.2 maths degree is worth way more than a 1st class Media Studies degree. I am not discrediting Media Studies, but maths is hard - end of. And anyone who can complete a maths degree with honours has my respect.

It is time to rise up. It is called resilience. This is nothing compared to some of the challenges life will throw at you in the future.

Good luck!

(Original post by ByEeek)
    It is fine to mope about... for a short period of time. But then it is time to pick yourself up, dust yourself down and get on with life. You haven't failed. You have a load of shining As from school and a good degree from a good university. I have a Desmond and have done very well for myself thank you very much. Employers are not just looking at your degree. They are looking at you. If you are bright, outward looking type with a sparkle in your eye, that will count for so much more. And a 2.2 maths degree is worth way more than a 1st class Media Studies degree. I am not discrediting Media Studies, but maths is hard - end of. And anyone who can complete a maths degree with honours has my respect.

It is time to rise up. It is called resilience. This is nothing compared to some of the challenges life will throw at you in the future.

Good luck!
    Thanks .. I agree its a decent accomolishment. I just feel like academia was really my 'thing' but I just went offtrack. I think a degree is just quite expensive and you get a cold hard number at the end of it..

Its good to know you can still succeed anyway. My dream would actually be to pursue higher education in the arts at a good uni, I dont know if its completely unachievable now.

My plan was to take a year out to get treatment and maybe volunteer etc, then apply for a masters in Jan... I hope good school grades and 2.2 with mitigating circumstances could get me onto an arts masters at a good uni, I realise they would be taking a risk on me though.. I really dont know of its possible

Thank you for the advice and congrats on your successes

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anonymous)
    Thank you for the advice and congrats on your successes
    Thanks. Perhaps I am not successful in the traditional sense. For me, success is a state of mind. I am certainly not rich in money, but am rich in life. If your immediate goals are not achievable because of the piece of paper you hold, pursue avenues which don't require a piece of paper - and there are many.

Good luck!

ReputationRep:

I got into Durham Univeristy to do maths with a year abroad and developee severe social anxiety throughout. I recently graduated with a 2:2 hons

I feel really down about myself as I had good potential and now my degree is not considered 'good' and I feel I could have had the potential to really excel. I also have intense social anxiety.

So now I feel very down and I really do not know what to do with myself. Even leaving the hosue is an issue for me. I was wondering if anyone could offer some advice
    How long since you began to feel this way?

Posted from TSR Mobile

(Original post by cogito.)
    How long since you began to feel this way?

Posted from TSR Mobile
    A couple of weeks perhaps

Oh, get over yourself. You got a degree - a 2:2 isn't the end of the world, so get on with your life.

(Original post by Tootles)
    Oh, get over yourself. You got a degree - a 2:2 isn't the end of the world, so get on with your life.
    I know its a dcent result and not the end of the world. In my case though my dream is to do further study which I may not be able to do now and because of the issues I have developed, that's why I don't feel great

ReputationRep:
    A couple of weeks perhaps
    If it continues and showing no signs of improvement, talk to your doctor will be a good idea. I had similar issues like yours in the past 2 years and I could not help myself either, sometimes helps from a professional will make the situation more clear to yourself and what you should do etc.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    • Very Important Poster
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    Very Important Poster
    PS Reviewer
    I know its a dcent result and not the end of the world. In my case though my dream is to do further study which I may not be able to do now and because of the issues I have developed, that's why I don't feel great
    Most masters courses will accept a 2ii - especially if you have mitigating circumstances and have since addressed the issue that affected your grades.

Have you sought treatment for your anxiety?

(Original post by PQ)
    Most masters courses will accept a 2ii - especially if you have mitigating circumstances and have since addressed the issue that affected your grades.

Have you sought treatment for your anxiety?
    thanks thats good to know, I'd love to do a masters hopefully in a more arts based course as I think that's where my strengths lie.

I sought treatment in my final year of my course and told my uni about it, so I started to overcome it. Now I've finished I am living at home and am going to focuss on overcoming it. I am starting an NHS group therapy thing soon

Hopefully the masters admissions will take a risk on me, I'd love to go to Oxbridget but also the London unis like Kings and UCL really appeal to me

But I'm focused on treating the issue now

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: July 8, 2016
Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.