Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Even though my priority is my work, I really want to enjoy uni life. Warwick and Birmingham are my favourites for economics, but my parents keep advising me to try for Cambridge since it would set me for life. However, I do not know if the people suit me and if the party life is good enough for me. What should I do?
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    (Original post by dakofsta)
    Even though my priority is my work, I really want to enjoy uni life. Warwick and Birmingham are my favourites for economics, but my parents keep advising me to try for Cambridge since it would set me for life. However, I do not know if the people suit me and if the party life is good enough for me. What should I do?
    Cambridge wouldn't automatically set you for life, it would definitely give you access to a great alumni network but jobs don't just get thrown at you.

Do what you feel you'd be happier with, the difference in prospects between Warwick and Cam are pretty minimal (bar some elusive consulting firms).

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    It won't set you up for life (although it does help) but I'd go for it if I were you. But do what makes you the happiest if that is Warwick or Birmingham then go for those.

ReputationRep:
    Birmingham is definitely my favourite, and the city is great. But the fact that it is 17th for economics is deeply concerning

ReputationRep:
    Cambridge people have banter too

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    The topic is old but I thought I would reply. I was a student at Cambridge and I would say it is not going to set you for life. Employers do not treat the brand "Cambridge" any differently. Rather they are looking for suitable employees from any Uni. Moreover, the people in Cambridge are very arrogant and the environment is not so nice as it is in many other places. Of course, anyone's experience would depend on many factors but, in general, Cambridge is not what it used to be in the past. I have talked to quite a few employers and some of them, including those who are based in Cambridge, said that they have not hired any Cambridge graduate yet. There is outdated bias towards Cambridge but the reality has changed since then. When I was living in some campus accommodation, my flatmate said that he decided to do a PhD because he could not find a job after his first-class MEng from Cambridge! Whatever his problem was but it certainly demonstrates that Cambridge will not set you for life automatically. Life is very competitive today and jobs are limited. There is no advantage in studying at Cambridge. I would even recommend not to waste your time on Cambridge because of the people who work there. They don't have time on students, they are mostly very arrogant. Many of them have failed in their life but their ambitions have brought them to Cambridge thinking they are the best. In my view, Cambridge may diminish your potential, it may make you feel depressed and it may take months or years to recover. I cannot see any advantages in Cambridge and you or your parents should not be biased! Though, if you want an academic career, it might be a place for you but if you want to be a real man, go elsewhere.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you rather give up salt or pepper?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.