Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hello ,

I am an MBA graduate, currently working at a company in India. I discovered who I am only after the completion my postgraduate degree. I have penchant towards astrophysics and astronomy. I am 27 years now, and I am thinking of studying Astrophysics or Astronomy. I am exploring my options now on which country to study.

My aim is to start my course on 2018 batch.I am researching on this topic, and I would like to know few things on this.

Am I allowed to study under graduation in astrophysics or astronomy in universities at U.S/U.K/Australia/Other European countries? (since I have a post graduation)

If I am allowed, what are the eligibility criteria? Do I have to write any exams like International baccalaureate or A level exams to secure good scores?( I wanted to get into a good university)

Do I have any chance of getting partial or full scholarship for my study?

If the scholarships are not available, is it possible to take up a loan? Would I get any?

Would I be able to support my living expenses through part time jobs?

I have contacted few colleges and they gave me a very general reply. Thought I should ask in a public forum.

Please do tell me what are the measures I need to take upon. I am so much passionate about studying this, and I would like to make my dream come reality. Thanks a lot in advance and I look forward to receive your valuable response.

ReputationRep:
    Astrophysics degrees in the UK at least will be pretty general, and include probably more than half general physics content, especially if you're looking for a good university, and for astrophysics there's a very compelling rationale for doing a lot of other topics at undergraduate level. To gain entry you'll have to demonstrate you have the equivalent of the entry requirements in whichever high school qualification you did. For A levels the requirements are usually at least ABB, going up to A*A*A for top courses. I would be quite surprised if you could get a scholarship, but regardless you should always search and apply for any scholarships you might possibly be eligible for. You might be able to get a private loan. The tuition for international students will be pretty high in the UK. You might be able to somewhat support your living expenses but I think any more than 8 hours per week would be infeasible with the workload at more challenging universities. Disclaimer: This is just for the UK. Other systems will be different and possibly cheaper.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Unkempt_One)
    Astrophysics degrees in the UK at least will be pretty general, and include probably more than half general physics content, especially if you're looking for a good university, and for astrophysics there's a very compelling rationale for doing a lot of other topics at undergraduate level. To gain entry you'll have to demonstrate you have the equivalent of the entry requirements in whichever high school qualification you did. For A levels the requirements are usually at least ABB, going up to A*A*A for top courses. I would be quite surprised if you could get a scholarship, but regardless you should always search and apply for any scholarships you might possibly be eligible for. You might be able to get a private loan. The tuition for international students will be pretty high in the UK. You might be able to somewhat support your living expenses but I think any more than 8 hours per week would be infeasible with the workload at more challenging universities. Disclaimer: This is just for the UK. Other systems will be different and possibly cheaper.
    Hi,Thanks a lot for your response. Do you know where can I get the details for bank loan or scholarship? Is there any guidance available?

ReputationRep:
    [QUOTE=Hi,Thanks a lot for your response. Do you know where can I get the details for bank loan or scholarship? Is there any guidance available?[/QUOTE]
    Sorry, I honestly have no idea. You'll have to do some fairly deep research to figure it out.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you like to hibernate through the winter months?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.