Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hi,

My computer installed updates when I shut it down.
    Now, Google Chrome search results are being displayed differently - they are not full screen and only covering around 3/4 of the page. Also, instead of just the links to each site, each search result is in its own individual white box.
    Help!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SHABANA)
    Hi,

My computer installed updates when I shut it down.
    Now, Google Chrome search results are being displayed differently - they are not full screen and only covering around 3/4 of the page. Also, instead of just the links to each site, each search result is in its own individual white box.
    Help!
    You're probably part of a test group - Google, and most tech companies, often test new layouts/features with a small group of users and see what happens before deciding to roll out the changes more widely, or cancel them altogether.

I'm guessing what you're seeing is the same as in this article: http://www.telegraph.co.uk/technolog...earch-results/

Even if you're seeing something slightly different, it's nothing to worry about. It may change back; it may change again; it may stay the same, but it's all normal.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by doctorwhofan98)
    You're probably part of a test group - Google, and most tech companies, often test new layouts/features with a small group of users and see what happens before deciding to roll out the changes more widely, or cancel them altogether.

I'm guessing what you're seeing is the same as in this article: http://www.telegraph.co.uk/technolog...earch-results/

Even if you're seeing something slightly different, it's nothing to worry about. It may change back; it may change again; it may stay the same, but it's all normal.
    Yes! Exactly like the first example. Do not like it and much prefer the layout I have been using.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SHABANA)
    Yes! Exactly like the first example. Do not like it and much prefer the layout I have been using.
    There's a good chance that Google will scrap it, or alter it before general release, so I wouldn't worry about it, but there's no way to opt out. You've likely been involved in other test groups in the past - Facebook, Twitter and Microsoft all do it - without realising; this is just a more noticeable one.

ReputationRep:
    Mine changed to that on Opera a few weeks back, but then it changed back to the old style.

It looked horrendous.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Are unpaid trial work shifts fair?
    Useful resources

Articles:

The Student Room tech wikiTech forum guidelines

Quick link:

Unanswered technology and computers threads

Sponsored features:

Web Legend

Win a Macbook Air!

Blog about setting up a website for a chance to win in our Web Legend competition.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.