The Student Room Group

Graduating with undergraduate degree at 24. Bad for career?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
i
Original post by Captain Jack
It will make no difference whatsoever. Employers don't really think like that, they just want to know what you are capable of.

And for further reassurance, they aren't even allowed to ask your age now, so they wouldn't even know.

agreed. My sister is 42 upon graduation but got an ace job starting salary 33K. The degree at Brunel had a government placement in social work which was key: others with placement in voluntary sector only wouldn't fare as well. So when you say good uni you also need to focus on quality of placement what % of graduates are in good employment after. I got a first in mathematics at a University of London college but no applied options - computer programming etc so have had to do an MSc in statistics. You will only face ageism if you leave it till much later but I wouldn't just redo A levels for a year - I would try to get some kind of office job on top or do a couple of courses in excel, computer programming etc if you eventually want finance etc. There are also jobs in economics in government - and if your uni is a good one you would have a good chance. Personality and work ethic is more important than age for sure
Original post by tagomago
That does look like a really good course. Thank you!
I have, however, been guaranteed an unconditional from glasgow for next year to study the same thing. I do prefer Glasgow as a city and also really like the uni. Would it be fine for me to go ahead and start uni next year?
I started the thread because I wanted to know if taking another year out (and finishing at 24) would compromise my career - that's what will ultimately help me decide.
Thanks again!

If it was me I'd only take another year out if I was working and itd benifit me to gain a foot through the door in my chosen course. But, but if I wasn't working I would take the offer and start September as your not left thinking aboutyour chosen course next year or strugling to gain paid work.
Although I had a four year break from college to university I felt as though I wasn't given the support I needed but did my best in my studying despite the trouble I had in second year. Bit of advice, get to know your class mates as all courses expect you to work in groups in the second year. Third year was great as you can choose the subjects apart from industrial group work but that was great as tutors put you in groups.

Also go freshers week every day and join clubs, something I wish had done.
Original post by username1539513
Nah, my mum went to uni in her late 20's and graduated when she was 31 and still managed to get promoted in her teaching role

absolute clone of my mum loool - she graduate when she was 33 and she's been teaching for donkeys of years

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending