The Student Room Group

Beyonce = Overrated?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
Prince was the last truly great pop artist (and yes, I was a fan long before his death)
I ANSWERED ALL YOUR MISCONCEPTIONS
Original post by Miracle Day
So I recently attended the Beyonce concert in Cardiff and I have come to the conclusion that she is massively overrated. She is worshiped as some sort of diety 'Queen' 'Queen B' 'Goddess' and I'm not entirely sure why.

1. She has a huge production team that probably create her entire song, with her just reading, learning and signing the vocals.
Beyonce has written her own songs. The songs she wrote herself are
Dangerously In Love
Gift From Virgo
Me Myself & I
Yes
Speechless
The songs aren't as known as 7/11 or Formation which she received help for.
2. Her songs are full of cliche phrases like 'I slay' which are geared towards today's audience and are not timeless.
Its better for her to engage with her' today' audience. Fans want something they can engage,dance to and relate with now. Not something timeless. The only way for her to do this is to say 21st centuary stuff people say like i 'slay'
3. A lot of her songs are entirely unmemorable.
Ehm what about the song Halo?! Put a ring on It is pretty memorable and recognized by quite a few people aroung the globe.
4. She seems to have zero personality or engagement with her fans. Compare with Adele. Beyonce is just a bit full of herself.
Adele may have a gorgeous voice, but all she does it stand and sing her heart out. Beyonce actually moves and dances. She is the show! Have you watched her superbowl performance. How does she have 0 engagement with her fans? If she did she wouldn't have had a sold out 90% all the tickets for her formation tour.
[video="youtube;L_Hgh7sPDLM"]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L_Hgh7sPDLM[/video]

Destiny's Child and some of her material e.g. Crazy in Love, Halo, Sweet Dreams are really good. But the rupaul-esque phrase songs are pretty dreadful.
What does that even mean?!
What are your thoughts?*

Allow it dude beyonce is great.

(edited 7 years ago)
Rihanna is a lot better than Beyonce as a comparator
Original post by Little Popcorns
Rihanna is a lot better than Beyonce as a comparator

Omg dude Beyonce is a lot better Have you seen Partition?
[video="youtube;X2aWLkEmN-M"]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X2aWLkEmN-M[/video]
PLEASE NO ONE REPORT ME ITS THE CLEAN VERSION-NO SWEAR WORDS :redface:
Queen Bee is not overrated.
This song is called sandcastles not promise.
[video="youtube;bbpAcDsWz4M"]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bbpAcDsWz4M[/video]

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dX3mIuHEgWE
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 25
I've never really seen her as on another level to all the other fairly decent but also fairly bland modern pop artists. Not musically anyway..
Original post by RobML
Prince was the last truly great pop artist (and yes, I was a fan long before his death)

Good man. I agree.
I appreciate how she makes what she wants nowadays and isn't particularly interested in getting to number one but even before that when she was in mainstream music her songs weren't anything spectacular..
Reply 28
Original post by Miracle Day
So I recently attended the Beyonce concert in Cardiff and I have come to the conclusion that she is massively overrated. She is worshiped as some sort of diety 'Queen' 'Queen B' 'Goddess' and I'm not entirely sure why.

1. She has a huge production team that probably create her entire song, with her just reading, learning and signing the vocals.
2. Her songs are full of cliche phrases like 'I slay' which are geared towards today's audience and are not timeless.
3. A lot of her songs are entirely unmemorable.
4. She seems to have zero personality or engagement with her fans. Compare with Adele. Beyonce is just a bit full of herself.

Destiny's Child and some of her material e.g. Crazy in Love, Halo, Sweet Dreams are really good. But the rupaul-esque phrase songs are pretty dreadful.

What are your thoughts?*

Ok. On point 1, that line could be used for almost any 'artist' in the pop industry now. ABBA wrote their own songs, they were great, but the modern pop industry is just inane.
2 and 3, she does have a few songs of note and that don't sound too bad, and she has a very good voice compared to many of the modern singers, but she is in it for the money, so yeah she just tries like most other artists to churn out as many CDs as possible, making their millions.
4 Well that's a fair point but at least she doesn't have a negative interaction (e.g. when Justin Bieber told a fan she looked like a 'beached whale')
So I mean she could be worse and she's had a long and successful career, and gained a reputation as such.
Reply 29
Original post by RobML

Nah. ABBA and Michael Jackson that is where it was at.
Original post by BobSausage
Nah. ABBA and Michael Jackson that is where it was at.

Genuine q, how much of his discography are you familiar with?
Reply 31
Original post by Wilfred Little
Genuine q, how much of his discography are you familiar with?

Only his 'most popular songs they played on the radio after his death ( I know lots of ABBA songs though if that helps)
Original post by BobSausage
Only his 'most popular songs they played on the radio after his death ( I know lots of ABBA songs though if that helps)

OK fair enough, but that's a really small fraction of his work, I don't think you can listen to a handful of radio friendly singles in an artist's discography and dismiss them based off of those.

I think if you worked your way from the albums Dirty Mind up to Lovesexy your opinion would definitely change.
Reply 33
Original post by stillridin
Imagine thinking autotune is bad in 2016

Actually, imagine thinking on such an elitist level in 2016

How exactly is it elitist?
Reply 34
Original post by Nurne

singing should be for everyone, not just those who can sing.. :colonhash:
Original post by Nurne

You've clearly never heard how autotune can be used to great effect. It's not just a magic tool to make people sing, it's often used as an artistic effect. Some crazy melodies and incredible vocals can be achieved using heavy autotune
Reply 36
Original post by stillridin
You've clearly never heard how autotune can be used to great effect. It's not just a magic tool to make people sing, it's often used as an artistic effect. Some crazy melodies and incredible vocals can be achieved using heavy autotune

Guess it is a matter of taste. But I would prefer to hear the voice of the singer unaltered and the only time I can really sympathise the use of voice tuning is when it is used in remixes and EDM to artistic effect making it sound ethereal or somewhat alien. However, the use of autotune to correct a singer who is out of tune I personally find abhorrent. And is especially present in pop today as mentioned in my previous point. Yet, this is my opinion so don't get your knickers in a twist. :P

The other point on the sexualisation of music videos is entirely valid, and when record companies are aiming to appeal to a wider audience due to the fact that sex sells rather than putting across lyrics to the listener through the video format using imaginative ideas. It is just the same stuff again and again, essentially scantily clad women dancing to some song that has been heavily processed.

e.g. Fergie - M.I.L.F.$
Rihanna feat Drake - Work
Beyoncé - Formation
Fifth Harmony - All In My Head
Selena Gomez - Hands to Myself
etc.

Funnily enough, these videos are all from 2016 and are what I can remember from Vevo YouTube ads.

To conclude, the consensus within the pop music industry is that it has proceeded to move away from seeking raw talent and skill in singing and songwriting and has moved in the last 20 years or so to a system that releases repetitive overly processed, sexualised content with a 30 man teams to produce a song rather than a small independent band or a lone singer-songwriter. And I earnestly believe that pop music should and could become something a lot better. However, this is just one 16-year-old boy's opinion so it's unlikely to change much. :P
(edited 7 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest