The Student Room Group

Cautioned and placed on the ViSOR for 2 years.

Hey everyone, hope you're all having a good morning! 😃

Long story short here; I'm currently in university and have finished my first year decently clean (extenuating circumstances for one assignment all year).

Basically, due to my personal idiocy and problems over the years it has caused me to be placed upon the legendary ViSOR and I have been given a police caution - both of which are over after two years.

Due to this, the police would like me to inform the university of my wrongdoings. But I'm not sure if I want to or not as in an ideal world, I would like to finish my degree.

Do you think there is any chance I will be able to stay in university for my final 2 years whilst being placed upon the ViSOR and given a police caution?

Also, I'm not sure if the university actually needs to know, or if the police just want me to. I would really like further confirmation from them but contact with the police is very limited as I dislike them for one, and second, I just want to get through what has happened and what I have done and continue with life as normally as possible.

Thoughts? I would prefer some constructive stuff here. I'm already aware of my wrongdoings and I've been working through them for numerous years, I'm far from a risk to society, it is nothing like that - ViSOR just makes it sound so much worse than it all is.
Reply 1
Bump
I wouldn't if it can be avoided.

Unless you're doing a course that requires a CRB check the university will never know and it would create unnecessary problems for yourself.
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 3
Original post by Kubawara

Thoughts? I would prefer some constructive stuff here. I'm already aware of my wrongdoings and I've been working through them for numerous years, I'm far from a risk to society, it is nothing like that - ViSOR just makes it sound so much worse than it all is.

As much as I feel like you should be seriously punished for sexually/violently assaulting someone (absolutely disgusting), if I were coming from a neutral standpoint I'd say to not tell them - but contact the police to find out if you *need* to or not.

Apart from that, I love that you said "I don't like the police" - yes, of course, a POS sex/violence offender wouldn't like the police.
Plus, should you really be allowed to continue on with life so easily when the person you sexually/violently assaulted could be very damaged from it? disgusting..
Reply 4
Original post by celloel
As much as I feel like you should be seriously punished for sexually/violently assaulting someone (absolutely disgusting), if I were coming from a neutral standpoint I'd say to not tell them - but contact the police to find out if you *need* to or not.

Apart from that, I love that you said "I don't like the police" - yes, of course, a POS sex/violence offender wouldn't like the police.
Plus, should you really be allowed to continue on with life so easily when the person you sexually/violently assaulted could be very damaged from it? disgusting..

A) I have never assaulted anybody. I wouldnt get a caution for that type of act, of course. I would have been punished much more severely.

B) I'm not here to cause arguments but have a look at the list of hundreds of crimes that ViSOR covers, it goes from punching someone once to full blown rape and murder. There are many reasons ViSOR has been criticised.

C) Thanks for your insight though.
Reply 5
Original post by JamesN88
I wouldn't if it can be avoided.

Unless you're doing a course that requires a CRB check the university will never know and it would create unnecessary problems for yourself.

Police are seemingly sure that I have to inform them; but as far as things go I'm not too sure because the university arent going to be contacted, I very much doubt.
Original post by Kubawara
Police are seemingly sure that I have to inform them; but as far as things go I'm not too sure because the university arent going to be contacted, I very much doubt.

You're best off getting legal advice if you can or contact NACRO for advice.

What did you do(I'm guessing it can't be serious to get a caution)?
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 7
Original post by JamesN88
You're best off getting legal advice if you can or contact NACRO for advice.

What did you do(I'm guessing it can't be serious to get a caution)?

Yeah I will do. Thanks for that, I will google them now.

Its not as serious as it looks, as I stated. But that is all I'm willing to disclose - if it was 'assault' as I said before, the chances of caution are non existent. And if I posed risk I would have been taken to court and tried.

They always tar you with the same brush though because it comes under one title. Makes you look like an absolute monster.
James is correct Nacro would be he people to contact.
Alternatively the SU and look at the rules on convictions. Presumably this has happened whilst you were at uni. Depending on the byelaws you may have a duty to disclose.

Presumably your course is not one working with vulnerable adults or children?

Whilst the caution may expire under a basic dbs check, but will show up on standard or enhanced. It also depends on your age at the time. 17 or under or 18+.

If its just assault I doubt they will do anything.
Reply 9
Original post by 999tigger
James is correct Nacro would be he people to contact.
Alternatively the SU and look at the rules on convictions. Presumably this has happened whilst you were at uni. Depending on the byelaws you may have a duty to disclose.

Presumably your course is not one working with vulnerable adults or children?

Whilst the caution may expire under a basic dbs check, but will show up on standard or enhanced. It also depends on your age at the time. 17 or under or 18+.

If its just assault I doubt they will do anything.

I will check the SU now. See what I can dig up.

Funnily and ironically enough I'm doing criminology.

There is an optional placement in the coming year that thankfully, I wasn't all too keen on doing anyway.

I feel like I have to tell them and that I will definitely be kicked off the course - unless there is some kind of compromise that can be offered obviously.

Well it happened in 2014, but I have only recently been caught so, hmm.
Reply 10
Its done now. I checked their policies and it explicitly says they need to be informed.

I accept the consequences headed my way, of course. I'm not some idiot that doesnt understand punishment etc. Just have to find another career to fall into now.

Thanks for all your responses.
They may let you continue if your honest but yeah I don't know really

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending