Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hey, I have been thinking of some some ideas for my EPQ but I am unsure as to what would be suitable to do. I have come up with:
    • can a country become fully developed?
    • how to determine if a country is developed
    • how does migration affect physical and mental health?
    • to what extent is global warming caused by people?
    I don't know if these topics are too broad, I know you have to focus on a small area. I have been told that you have to find out something that people don't already know. Do any of these sound good? Feel free to suggest anything that may be better😊Thank you!!😊😊😊

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Rachel19982016)
    Hey, I have been thinking of some some ideas for my EPQ but I am unsure as to what would be suitable to do. I have come up with:
    I don't know if these topics are too broad, I know you have to focus on a small area. I have been told that you have to find out something that people don't already know. Do any of these sound good? Feel free to suggest anything that may be better😊Thank you!!😊😊😊
    Hi Rachel!

Out of the ideas you listed, I think the extent to which global warming is being caused by people would be the best option, perhaps phrased as "To what extent is global warming being caused by human activity?"

I think the other topics would be a bit too broad, for example, you'd need to first determine what 'developed' means, or what type of migration you're referring to. Have you tried asking your mentor/supervisor what they think?

Colouring in a massive map.

Sorry, I just had to.
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    Sorry to sound so doom-and-gloomy but I wouldn't recommend these questions because as you say, with the possible exception of question 3 (which I think is probably more psychological than geographical), they are too broad and a bit 'obvious' in that they're some of the key general questions in geography that don't require an awful lot of subject knowledge to come up with. They certainly do not fulfill the criterion of "something that people don't already know" because the question of the attribution of contemporary climate change is one of the most intensively researched questions in existence and as you're probably aware, a very large number of development institutions like the UN have done intensive work on the first two questions. That's not to say that I think climate change or development are bad topic choices for your EPQ (I did mine on climate change, I think there's loads of scope for fascinating questions in that area), but my point is that you need to come up with something a bit more specific than "Are humans causing climate change" or "What is development".

Coming up with a question for the EPQ isn't easy and it's actually something you're being assessed on so I wouldn't worry if it takes you a bit of time and of course, you can change your question during the project if you find your research going into a different area (I did). I recommend reading around the "World" and "Environment" sections of newspapers/websites like The Guardian to see if there are any more specific questions that pop up that interest you.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Has a teacher ever helped you cheat?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.