How did you get into an IT/Technology career?

University Navigation

Announcements Posted on
Four things that unis think matter more than league tables 08-12-2016

ReputationRep:
    With IT and Technology based careers, there are several routes into a job in the industry, some more common than others. You could do a degree at university, an apprenticeship, or even start out your own project without either of those; all of these are very valid routes into the industry, and all will be more successful for some than for others.

For those of you still at school or university, what route do you intend to take? And for those of you already in a job, how did you get there? Did anyone take a less well known path to get there?

ReputationRep:
    I was doing an MSci in theoretical physics, but decided in my 3rd year that I wanted to learn more about programming, as I found it interesting and knew there were a lot of jobs out there. So I switched to a BSc in theoretical physics, and enrolled for an MSc in software development. The MSc was a conversion course, having a STEM degree wasn't required.

Doing the MSc in software development probably wasn't necessary though, as I know other physics graduates who have also gotten IT jobs. But I think it definitely helped, and I learned a lot too! There were a lot of people in my MSc class who originally done degrees from the arts too, like English or history etc, so a conversion course is a great way to acquire a completely new set of skills.

ReputationRep:
    Well I was the classic compsci grad... but blew the first opportunity I had. I want to own up to my mistakes and get another shot at the sector but then parents tell me I'll never get a job that way.

ReputationRep:
    The short story is I applied for an apprenticeship to get into IT security, after a year the whole thing started falling apart and I decided to start studying Forensic Computing at uni. I'll be starting in September with plans to get company experience when I graduate and start working on official security qualifications.

ReputationRep:
    Great thread! I would encourage more users to share their experiences.

Short version: It basically started out during high school, where I became interested in IT & Technology, particularly web design. I eventually got my CCNA certification as well later on during high school. Studied Computer Science at university, by which time I was already fairly proficient in web development and servers etc. and after leaving my studies I went on to work as a mid-level API developer (mainly back-end PHP and databases). After that I had various roles as a PHP or Web Applications Developer. Moved on into more senior levels and much wider exposure to various technologies, and now I'm a DevOps Engineer.

I wouldn't have gotten into my initial roles after university without some side-projects, freelance work, portfolio etc. so having actual experience was very important.

ReputationRep:
    Started as a temp helping out on a laptop rollout, no technical knowledge required. Was offered a position to stay on the team (3rd line support).

Basically just stumbled into the role.

ReputationRep:
    Did a microsoft exam through self study.. Work in 1st/2nd line support

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Compton Menace)
    Did a microsoft exam through self study.. Work in 1st/2nd line support

Posted from TSR Mobile
    What Microsoft exam?... look to get into !st line support myself.

ReputationRep:
    The abridged version:

Some sagely wisdom from my dad "Learn about computers, that's where the future is", along with him bringing a PC home from work. Followed by several years of reading books and magazines, taking PCs apart and putting them back together. Taught myself BASIC, then Visual Basic. Knew I wanted to be a programmer, didn't go to uni. Started looking for Visual Basic developer roles, landed a couple of interviews (took a floppy disk with some projects on)... First developer job.

Fast-forward a good few years and here I am at TSR...

Write a reply… Reply
Submit reply

Register

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?
  2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?
  3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. Oops, you need to agree to our Ts&Cs to register
  2. Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: October 17, 2016
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Poll
Do you think you'll achieve your predicted A Level grades?
Useful resources

Featured recruiter profiles:

CGI logo

CGI is open for applications

"Offering a range of apprentice and sponsored degree positions."

Quick link:

Unanswered IT and technology threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.