The Student Room Group

Oxford PAT 2016

Scroll to see replies

Original post by PhoenixHellRider
So hi. On the syllabus for the PAT it talks about electromagnets and magnetism, so does that mean it's worth learning about electric fields, magnetic fields/flux, faraday's Law and all that (because it looks pretty difficult aha)

Just to add to what @Ipsooo said, the principle of mutual induction (transformer effect) seems to be by far the most common theme in the PAT from this section.
For the maths section when it talks about differentiation and integration, is it like yr 12 differentiation/integration or like yr 13 with the product rule, quotient rule, differentiating sin, cos etc.?
And for the physics section would there ever be a question where equations like the energy or force in an electric field are required?
As always, thanks for the replies.
Original post by PhoenixHellRider
For the maths section when it talks about differentiation and integration, is it like yr 12 differentiation/integration or like yr 13 with the product rule, quotient rule, differentiating sin, cos etc.?
And for the physics section would there ever be a question where equations like the energy or force in an electric field are required?
As always, thanks for the replies.

Learn all of the year 13 calculus. Don't leave a single theme. You need to know chain, product and quotient rules and also trigonometric, logarithmic and exponential functions. I have also occasionally found integration questions where you have to guess the correct substitution (unlike A levels where you are told which substitution to make).

There have been questions where the expressions for the electric potential, force on moving charge in the magnetic field etc. are required but they are usually provided in the question. You need to be able to continue provided the expressions nonetheless.
Original post by tangotangopapa2
Learn all of the year 13 calculus. Don't leave a single theme. You need to know chain, product and quotient rules and also trigonometric, logarithmic and exponential functions. I have also occasionally found integration questions where you have to guess the correct substitution (unlike A levels where you are told which substitution to make).

There have been questions where the expressions for the electric potential, force on moving charge in the magnetic field etc. are required but they are usually provided in the question. You need to be able to continue provided the expressions nonetheless.

Oh boy. Thanks for the reply
Reply 545

Which exam board would you be doing?
In general I think applied maths is easier to self study as it's more 'down to earth'. For OCR FP3 is on the pure side with groups etc and fp2 is applied with calculus.
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by Ipsooo
Which exam board would you be doing?
In general I think applied maths is easier to self study as it's more 'down to earth'. For OCR FP3 is on the pure side with groups etc and fp2 is applied with calculus.

Id be doing Edexcel
Is anyone timing their paper trials or just solving?
Reply 548
Original post by NatoHeadshot
Is anyone timing their paper trials or just solving?

I'm roughly timing them rn. Just finished the 2010 paper. I'll probably time them strictly from 2011 onwards!
Original post by kj5576
I'm roughly timing them rn. Just finished the 2010 paper. I'll probably time them strictly from 2011 onwards!

hows your speed? and how did 2010 go?
Reply 550
Does anyone have a rough idea of the threshold/pass mark for the PAT for which you'll be invited for an interview? Would >90% be enough?
Reply 551
hows your speed? and how did 2010 go?

Usually end up taking 15 mins extra as i approach the final parts of the physics section. Got 90% on the 2010, could've done better aaah :P
2010 was especially easy i think but 90% would have got an interview. Usually the pass mark is around 70%. Are you applying for physics or engineering?
Original post by kj5576
Usually end up taking 15 mins extra as i approach the final parts of the physics section. Got 90% on the 2010, could've done better aaah :P

youwould have landed an interview it was 71 cut off for that year
Original post by kj5576

i remember doing the math section only from that year, it was pretty easy section i remember scoring pretty well there, i assume you must have lost most if not all the marks on the physics?
Reply 555
Original post by Orlandothefraser
2010 was especially easy i think but 90% would have got an interview. Usually the pass mark is around 70%. Are you applying for physics or engineering?

Physics!
Reply 556
youwould have landed an interview it was 71 cut off for that year

How did you find the cutoff percentage?
Reply 557
i remember doing the math section only from that year, it was pretty easy section i remember scoring pretty well there, i assume you must have lost most if not all the marks on the physics?

dropped 2 silly marks in the maths, the rest in physics lol
Original post by kj5576
How did you find the cutoff percentage?

https://www2.physics.ox.ac.uk/study-here/undergraduates/applications/physics-aptitude-test-pat/pat-past-papers
look at the reports for each year and skin thru till you see the cut off they write down its usally around the graph writings
Is it only me or do some of these question require a calculator.

Take question 10 on the 2007 paper. Like how am I meant to know what cos(10) is loool

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending