The Student Room Group

Oxford PAT 2016

Scroll to see replies

Original post by NatoHeadshot
i dont think so mate, hows your prep going and what are the cut offs for engineering usually is it same like for the physics students?:

My preps going ok i guess but physics section questions keep tripping me up lol. Its odd that no one on here is applying for engineering as there are similar numbers on the course to physics so you would expect it to be roughly equal on this thread. I reckon the cut offs for engineering should be lower than physics because engineers are more practical i guess?? But then everyone applying to oxford is smart lol. What college are you applying to?
Original post by Orlandothefraser
My preps going ok i guess but physics section questions keep tripping me up lol. Its odd that no one on here is applying for engineering as there are similar numbers on the course to physics so you would expect it to be roughly equal on this thread. I reckon the cut offs for engineering should be lower than physics because engineers are more practical i guess?? But then everyone applying to oxford is smart lol. What college are you applying to?

Not a 100 with the college but right now considering Merton
I'm just really looking for accommodation distance to lectures some sort of sporting facility and an option to self cater
What about you?

Also have you decided your 5 universities?
Not a 100 with the college but right now considering Merton
I'm just really looking for accommodation distance to lectures some sort of sporting facility and an option to self cater
What about you?

Also have you decided your 5 universities?

oxford durham and warwick for engineering then bath for mechanical engineering and southampton for aeronautics.
sweet we have pretty much the same predicted grades are you applying for straight physics at imperial? i was thinking about it but they seem reallly harsh with the admissions haha

Oxford's physics admissions is much harsher though ahah... I think it's about 40% of applicants that get an imperial offer, double the Oxford %. So yeah, I am applying to imperial lol

Posted from TSR Mobile
I was hoping I could have some clarity on thisSo I just found that I do not need to apply to all my 5 unis by 15th October but I could just apply to Oxford and put in my other 4 later?Please help explaining this to me
I was hoping I could have some clarity on thisSo I just found that I do not need to apply to all my 5 unis by 15th October but I could just apply to Oxford and put in my other 4 later?Please help explaining this to me

No.

You send your UCAS application once, hence applying to all 5 choices. You can't send it to different unis at different times.
Original post by hellomynameisr
No.

You send your UCAS application once, hence applying to all 5 choices. You can't send it to different unis at different times.

Just checked, actually you can lol
You can call ucas to confirm. its on their site too.here is a mod talking about it: http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=4357480&p=67942556#post67942556
What do you lot reckon to using STEP papers to practise? Are they similar? Harder? Easier? Wrong content?
Original post by Plastic_Chicken
What do you lot reckon to using STEP papers to practise? Are they similar? Harder? Easier? Wrong content?

Harder and wrong style ukmt and mat papers are probs better
Harder and wrong style ukmt and mat papers are probs better

I forgot about the mat haha, what about for the physics side of things? Or is the physics olympiad the only other thing that is really that useful?
Original post by Plastic_Chicken
I forgot about the mat haha, what about for the physics side of things? Or is the physics olympiad the only other thing that is really that useful?

Physics challenge papers are quite good prep are you applying for physics?

I guess I'll look into that, and yeah I am, what about you?

I second this! I've been working through the AS challenge papers (BPhO) which have some very similar styled questions to the PAT, just with a little more structure & wordy answers. The UKMT is good for the creative thinking questions - I've looked at a few MAT papers but those questions tend to be more difficult than the maths section of the PAT (still good practice however)

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by 98matt
I second this! I've been working through the AS challenge papers (BPhO) which have some very similar styled questions to the PAT, just with a little more structure & wordy answers. The UKMT is good for the creative thinking questions - I've looked at a few MAT papers but those questions tend to be more difficult than the maths section of the PAT (still good practice however)

Posted from TSR Mobile

ah are you talking about the AS physics challenge from the british olymiad site?
found some of the round 1 Bpho questions alright just making some silly mistakes :P need to revise magnetic fields and some of the a2 again just realised i had some gaps in my capacitor knowledge when she did it at school today. Felt being good ahead of the class however haha

Hope everyone's revision is going well and all of you get offers :smile:
ah are you talking about the AS physics challenge from the british olymiad site?

Yes:biggrin: I think the content in the AS challenge papers is a closer match to the PAT syllabus than the other BPho papers - they're all pretty good though

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by PhysicsMathsTut
Hi, I suggest you know the basics. Keep in mind that based on previous years, there are many more questions on electricity/circuits. For physics, mechanics is the big part. Learn all A-level stuff (including A2) plus levers and pulleys. Also remember to read about the solar system and eclipses, which is not normally taught in A-level.

I’ve also seen many questions about what’s included in maths and whether further maths topics comes up. Here’s a mapping of the maths topics you need to know onto the Edexcel textbook chapters. Further maths is not required. Sketching curves can be tricky, as most students don’t go beyond simple transformations in A-level. Make sure you practice that.

Algebra (C1 ch1,2; C2 ch1; C3 ch1; C4 ch1)
Binomial expansion (C2 ch5; C4 ch3)
Coordinate geometry (C1 ch5; C2 ch4)
Differentiation (C1 ch7; C2 ch9
Inequalities (C1 ch3)
Simultaneous equations (C1 ch3)
Integration (C1 ch8; C2 ch11; C4 ch6.1,6.2,6.4)
Exponentials & logarithms (C2 ch3; C3 ch3)
Probability (S1 ch5)
Series (C1 ch6; C2 ch7)
Sketching curves (C1 ch4, C3 ch5)
Trigonometry (C2 ch8,10)

I realised that my solutions haven’t been accessible on the website for a while. I apologise for that, I forgot to update the old google drive links. They are working here now.

Thanks for the reply. i do have another question: how basic are we talking? Also, what things specifically about the solar system would you recommend learning?

Thanks in advance.
What do I need to know that I haven't covered in C1, C2, M1, and the first chapters of S1, C3, and FP1 and AS physics and A2 physics mechanics?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending