Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hey just finished my first year studying psychology, haven' heard anything yet about the placement year I'll be doing in my third year yet so assuming that will all be sorted when I get back after summer. I was just wondering if anyone has done the psychology placement year or perhaps for a different subject and has any tips, is there anything I can do over the summer just so there's less to do when I get back with my application and stuff. Also up for hearing what people did on there placement year/what options are available just out of curiosity. Finally are any of the psychology placements paid and if so how likely is it that I will get a paid placement? Thank you!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by CardiffUni2016)
    Hey just finished my first year studying psychology, haven' heard anything yet about the placement year I'll be doing in my third year yet so assuming that will all be sorted when I get back after summer. I was just wondering if anyone has done the psychology placement year or perhaps for a different subject and has any tips, is there anything I can do over the summer just so there's less to do when I get back with my application and stuff. Also up for hearing what people did on there placement year/what options are available just out of curiosity. Finally are any of the psychology placements paid and if so how likely is it that I will get a paid placement? Thank you!
    Hi,

I graduated from Cardiff last year after doing the psych with placement course. There's no need to rush into getting anything ready now - you will be invited to at least 1 lecture/info session on placements and how to apply, timescales etc. in the 1st semester of 2nd year.

Application-wise it will be your typical CV and covering letter style so you could start thinking about skills that you want to include and evidence of these, but obviously this will depend on you knowing the area you want to work in. The uni also offer cv and cover letter drop in sessions (within the psych school and also more generally in the career service) - I would recommend going to one of these once you've written a draft. You might be able to find out some info of the careers service website but it may not be up yet until the new academic year. Again, I'm sure these will be promoted during your second year.

Choice-wise, it depends what field you are interested in. There will be a catalog of hundreds of choices that are set up by the uni but you're free to contact organisations yourself if you want to work somewhere not listed. What sort of thing did you fancy doing? A vast majority are clinical, forensic and research based because that's what loads of students are interested in, however other areas such as statistics, marketing, PR are also possible. To be honest, it is very unlikely you'll be paid. There were a handful of paid placements available in my year but I didn't apply to any as they didn't interest me at the time (ironically I now work at one of the few organisations that I could have done paid! I did a community mental health placement but didn't like it, and ended up becoming a statistician once I graduated). I've never seen any directly-psych related paid placements (e.g. mental health), they tend to be for large businesses or government departments (such as the Office for National Statistics, where I work now - I can tell you about the student placements here if you are interested).

Happy to answer any questions if you have more specific ones

ReputationRep:
    Hey, thanks for the great reply! I am hoping to go into research after uni but not 100%, keeping my options open. Would you say there are many research style placements available as I would like to see if it's my thing. I'm interested in biological psychology i.e genetics, brain structure etc mostly but also environmental effects - Particularly interested in epigenetics. I'm not too fussed about payment and kinda thought it would be unlikely, would be a bonus but not genna choose based on this.

ReputationRep:
    Also what do you think are the chances of getting a placement like this, is it very competitive? I'm not really sure I have anything I could put down as experience for this kind of thing and wanted to get ahead with my application as I'm assuming the sooner you apply the more likely you are to get the placement you would like.

ReputationRep:
    Hey, thanks for the great reply! I am hoping to go into research after uni but not 100%, keeping my options open. Would you say there are many research style placements available as I would like to see if it's my thing. I'm interested in biological psychology i.e genetics, brain structure etc mostly but also environmental effects - Particularly interested in epigenetics. I'm not too fussed about payment and kinda thought it would be unlikely, would be a bonus but not genna choose based on this.
    Yeah I know people who did research placements so that shouldn't be a problem. I would also recommend you look into the summer research internships - they are either called CUROP (cardiff uni research opportunities program) or SPRINT (can't remember what this stands for...). I did one of these - 6 weeks in summer on a research project and you get paid (admittedly not much but it's better than nothing!). Most people do this after 2nd year so if you're interested now is the time to start keeping an eye out

ReputationRep:
    Also what do you think are the chances of getting a placement like this, is it very competitive? I'm not really sure I have anything I could put down as experience for this kind of thing and wanted to get ahead with my application as I'm assuming the sooner you apply the more likely you are to get the placement you would like.
    You'll be guided on when to apply, so there isn't that much chance to get in early. They do at least two rounds of applications but within each round there's just a single closing date so as long as you send your application before that you're fine. Then if you don't get anything you want in the first round you can re-apply to different choices in the second round after Christmas.

I'm not that sure about how competitive they would be as I didn't try for any research placements. The clinical ones certainly appear to be the most popular, and from speaking to people these seem to be the oversubscribed ones. For example Great Ormond Street Hospital was really popular in my year (I didn't even get an interview haha)

ReputationRep:
    Thank you! That's so helpful, I'll look into the summer placements

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Brussels sprouts
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.