Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    So after asking many people for hotels that allow 16 year olds/ under 18s, the conclusion was that there basically wasn't any. Instead, i've come up with another option with going to paris or another city in France for a day (getting a cheap flight in the really early morning and retuning late that day) considering there are no age restrictions in terms of flying. I will probably be going with my boyfriend who is 16 too. But i was wondering whether anyone knows any of the following :

1. the nearest airport to central paris
    2. what their train system is etc
    3. any cheap or interesting sightseeing things
    4. cheap flights/ airlines from London to Paris
    5. good/reliable taxis in paris?
    6. Easy to get around and good for tourists cities in France?

If anyone could help me out i would be forever grateful!!

ReputationRep:
    1. Charles de Gaulle and Orly are Paris's two airports.
    2. Paris has a very efficient Metro and surburban rail system (called the RER), as well as buses. The website is here: www.ratp.fr. It's fairly simple to understand. A single trip is €1.80 on day buses, anywhere on the Metro and anywhere in the central zone of the RER. RER fares outside the central zone are based on distance. 10 single trip tickets bought at once cost €14.10, so just under €4 a saving on buying 10 individually. Paper tickets are still very common unlike in London.
    3. I imagine you'll want to see the Mona Lisa, and the Louvre and Orsay museums as well as the Invalides museum are free for EU citizens under 25 if you show your passport. The Notre Dame is free to get into. Everything else carries a price. Two hills for good city views are the Butte de Montmartre in front of the Sacré-Coeur church, and Parc de Belleville. Montmartre is an interesting arty neighbourhood. Belleville is working class.
    4. Easyjet, BA and Vueling. Though if you live somewhere with a more convenient journey to St Pancras station than any of the airports I'd advise getting the Eurostar.
    5. Best thing to do is get one from a stand. They are easy enough to spot. Minicabs turn the meter on when they set out to meet you rather than at the start of your journey.
    6. I'd recommend Versailles as a day trip from Paris and Lyon for a night or two further afield. The south is great but that's another trip!

Tourism in France is quite a "regional" thing. Apart from Paris, few cities stand out on their own - think of Barcelona, Cádiz, Madrid, Seville, Granada and Valencia in Spain, which are all worth a visit on their own without exploring the local area, though the local area is often well worth exploring. In France, it's more the region that stands out and the city visit becomes a part of the regional visit. For example - Montpellier, Nîmes, Avignon and Marseille in Languedoc-Provence; Nice, Antibes and Cannes as part of the Riviera; Quimper, Concarneau and Brest in Brittany; Bordeaux and Biarritz in the south west, you get my drift. I probably wouldn't fly to Bordeaux and say "I'm having me a city break here" like I would in other places. I'd want to explore the countryside and get a feel for the region.

ReputationRep:
    When I was 17, I stayed with my ex (who was also 17) at a hotel called Hotel Maubeuge in Paris. It's literally just across the road from the Gare du Nord. We didn't have any problems at all being under 18, so maybe worth looking into!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by rockrunride)
    1. Charles de Gaulle and Orly are Paris's two airports.
    2. Paris has a very efficient Metro and surburban rail system (called the RER), as well as buses. The website is here: www.ratp.fr. It's fairly simple to understand. A single trip is €1.80 on day buses, anywhere on the Metro and anywhere in the central zone of the RER. RER fares outside the central zone are based on distance. 10 single trip tickets bought at once cost €14.10, so just under €4 a saving on buying 10 individually. Paper tickets are still very common unlike in London.
    3. I imagine you'll want to see the Mona Lisa, and the Louvre and Orsay museums as well as the Invalides museum are free for EU citizens under 25 if you show your passport. The Notre Dame is free to get into. Everything else carries a price. Two hills for good city views are the Butte de Montmartre in front of the Sacré-Coeur church, and Parc de Belleville. Montmartre is an interesting arty neighbourhood. Belleville is working class.
    4. Easyjet, BA and Vueling. Though if you live somewhere with a more convenient journey to St Pancras station than any of the airports I'd advise getting the Eurostar.
    5. Best thing to do is get one from a stand. They are easy enough to spot. Minicabs turn the meter on when they set out to meet you rather than at the start of your journey.
    6. I'd recommend Versailles as a day trip from Paris and Lyon for a night or two further afield. The south is great but that's another trip!

Tourism in France is quite a "regional" thing. Apart from Paris, few cities stand out on their own - think of Barcelona, Cádiz, Madrid, Seville, Granada and Valencia in Spain, which are all worth a visit on their own without exploring the local area, though the local area is often well worth exploring. In France, it's more the region that stands out and the city visit becomes a part of the regional visit. For example - Montpellier, Nîmes, Avignon and Marseille in Languedoc-Provence; Nice, Antibes and Cannes as part of the Riviera; Quimper, Concarneau and Brest in Brittany; Bordeaux and Biarritz in the south west, you get my drift. I probably wouldn't fly to Bordeaux and say "I'm having me a city break here" like I would in other places. I'd want to explore the countryside and get a feel for the region.
    That was such a help!! wow oh my gosh thank you so so so so much !!!!!

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What's your favourite Christmas sweets?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.