Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hi,

I'm trying to start my personal statement but having difficulty on what subject to write about. My five course choices are:

Business Computing Systems (City University London)
    Software Engineering (University of Westminster)
    Software Engineering for Business (Queen Mary)
    Computer Science with Business Management and Accounting (QM)
    IT Management for Business (QM)

My first choice would be the IT Management for Business course but for my personal statement, do I write about information technology or computer science? Or do I just talk about computer science since all courses are related to this?

Thanks, I appreciate the help.
    • Very Important Poster
    • PS Reviewer
    • Clearing and Applications Advisor

ReputationRep:
    Very Important Poster
    PS Reviewer
    Clearing and Applications Advisor
    (Original post by pryze_)
    Hi,

I'm trying to start my personal statement but having difficulty on what subject to write about. My five course choices are:

Business Computing Systems (City University London)
    Software Engineering (University of Westminster)
    Software Engineering for Business (Queen Mary)
    Computer Science with Business Management and Accounting (QM)
    IT Management for Business (QM)

My first choice would be the IT Management for Business course but for my personal statement, do I write about information technology or computer science? Or do I just talk about computer science since all courses are related to this?

Thanks, I appreciate the help.
    For a start I'd recommend applying to 3 courses at a single university. They'll be aware that you've done this and it doesn't look good (it makes you look undecided). In cases like this where the courses are similar and offered by the same department then swapping is usually easy anyway.
    Apply only to the course you most want to do at QMUL. If you can't find similar courses at universities in London so make up your 5 choices then it's perfectly ok to only use 3 of your choices. You can add another 2 after applying if need be.

As for your question - don't mention either IT or CS (or SE) generally. Talk about specific areas and topics that have relevance to all your choices (so project management, the interfaces between IT support departments and business, any module topics that are common to all your choices (eg if they all involve coding then talking about your experiences coding, how you find picking up new coding languages etc)).

If you talk about IT or CS or SE then be specific - make it clear that you're talking specifically about the theory of computer science, or the applications of IT, or the software design in SE.

ReputationRep:
    This is very helpful, thank you so much.

I'm going to remove the Computer Science with Business choice but keep the other two Queen Mary courses there because I am confused about the entry requirements for the IT one - in the prospectus that I got from the UCAS exhibition, it says AAB but on the website it says ABB. So I'll keep the SE choice there as some kind of backup or something if that would be alright?

I'll be sure to talk about specific areas and topics that would be in the course structure.

Also, how do you reckon I start off my first paragraph? What exactly do you recommend I start off here?
    • Very Important Poster
    • PS Reviewer
    • Clearing and Applications Advisor

ReputationRep:
    Very Important Poster
    PS Reviewer
    Clearing and Applications Advisor
    (Original post by pryze_)
    This is very helpful, thank you so much.

I'm going to remove the Computer Science with Business choice but keep the other two Queen Mary courses there because I am confused about the entry requirements for the IT one - in the prospectus that I got from the UCAS exhibition, it says AAB but on the website it says ABB. So I'll keep the SE choice there as some kind of backup or something if that would be alright?

I'll be sure to talk about specific areas and topics that would be in the course structure.

Also, how do you reckon I start off my first paragraph? What exactly do you recommend I start off here?
    Always go with the website. Prospectus content would have been finalised in December 2015 - with the reforms to A levels they've probably realised it makes sense to be a bit more lenient.

For opening paragraphs - I always recommend leaving them until last. It's much easier to write them once you've got everything else sorted. If in doubt launch straight into it "I'm interested in the way IT is used in business because...."- it isn't elegant but it's better than flowery ******** or quotes.

If you're looking for similar courses outside London then http://www.ecs.soton.ac.uk/programme...ramme_overview is worth a look as is https://www1.bournemouth.ac.uk/study...ion-technology

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you like to hibernate through the winter months?
    Useful resources
    Graduates celebrate

How to write a good personal statement

Expert PS advice from the people who will read it

Uni match

Find your perfect uni course

Don't know where to apply? Let our uni match maker be your guide

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.