Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

why punish innocents to make troublemakers stop their mischievous deeds? Watch

ReputationRep:
    It doesn't work.

ReputationRep:
    Explain yourself, op?

Yeah like I remember in school, the whole class would be messing around while I'd just sit there watching them, amused, but I'd still get made to do detention

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Blue_Mason)
    Explain yourself, op?
    I'm talking about school.
    For example i live in a boarding house, let's say certain members of year 9 constantly fail to turn up on lesson on time and they sometimes have to come back to the house just to get their books for the lesson they're going to have.
    The teacher in the boarding house may say all year 9s in the boarding house aren't allowed to come back to the house for break or lunch until all of you can go to your lesson on time.
    In this particular example why are innocents being punished for nothing?
    I understand that you want the others in the year to angry so they manage to correct the misbehavours but that's just morally wrong and you're just breaking the bonds each of the people have in that year....
    (Original post by Serine Soul)
    Yeah like I remember in school, the whole class would be messing around while I'd just sit there watching them, amused, but I'd still get made to do detention
    Lol it always sucked, but i don't understand why you do this, just punish people who do wrong.
    I mean like if the person doesn't care then this method does nothing.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by dskinner)
    I'm talking about school.
    For example i live in a boarding house, let's say certain members of year 9 constantly fail to turn up on lesson on time and they sometimes have to come back to the house just to get their books for the lesson they're going to have.
    The teacher in the boarding house may say all year 9s in the boarding house aren't allowed to come back to the house for break or lunch until all of you can go to your lesson on time.
    I understand that you want the others in the year to angry so they manage to correct the misbehavours but that's just morally wrong and you're just breaking the bonds each of the people have in that year....

Lol it always sucked, but i don't understand why you do this, just punish people who do wrong.
    its a life lesson, that you will suffer as a result of other peoples stupidity

I believe that they believe that this will create peer pressure among the group, from the innocent towards the trouble-makers, to behave well

Doubt it works that way however

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Blue_Mason)
    its a life lesson, that you will suffer as a result of other peoples stupidity
    Right.
    And i believe there's nothing i can do to retain the same level of friendship i had with that person(who was doing wrong) and still "correct" them so they don't do wrong again(unless they themselves realise their mistake and are willing to change it)

I guess the life lesson can be summed up as "you will suffer because of others"
    But it's not really fair(income all the "life's not fair" people who just say that)

(Original post by Mathemagicien)
    I believe that they believe that this will create peer pressure among the group, from the innocent towards the trouble-makers, to behave well

Doubt it works that way however
    Yea that's something they know but this just creates more problems and actually could accentuate bullying because anytime that troublemaker decides to do something stupid again the rest of the group will put them down and do whatever it takes so the group don't get punished.
    I guess "greatest happiness of the greatest number" is applied but greatest happiness of all should be applied here, allowing kids to be bullied because you decided to punish innocents(so they themselves turn bad) isn't a good choice.

Yea that's something they know but this just creates more problems and actually could accentuate bullying because anytime that troublemaker decides to do something stupid again the rest of the group will put them down and do whatever it takes so the group don't get punished.
    I guess "greatest happiness of the greatest number" is applied but greatest happiness of all should be applied here, allowing kids to be bullied because you decided to punish innocents(so they themselves turn bad) isn't a good choice.
    I think the problem is that the group doesn't do peer pressure, not that they are over-zealously pressuring them to the point of bullying

'The greatest happiness of the greatest number' isn't applied here, its more about 'the easiest way for the teachers to punish trouble-makers and exercise control'

As an innocent person myself ( :angel: ), I think that collective punishments are effective at increasing pressure against trouble makers, but more effective at making innocents disillusioned with the school authorities, and more likely themselves to become trouble-makers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mathemagicien)
    I think the problem is that the group doesn't do peer pressure, not that they are over-zealously pressuring them to the point of bullying

'The greatest happiness of the greatest number' isn't applied here, its more about 'the easiest way for the teachers to punish trouble-makers and exercise control'

As an innocent person myself ( :angel: ), I think that collective punishments are effective at increasing pressure against trouble makers, but more effective at making innocents disillusioned with the school authorities, and more likely themselves to become trouble-makers
    Well i guess it depends on the person, if they don't wanna be punished again for someone else's BS then they'll punish the trouble maker themselves so they don't get punished.

If it's easy then they're just lazy, they put effort in saying you mustn't do this and this so why do that when you can just put them on a job for a week or if that doesn't work think up of something worse!!!!

For the trouble makers if they don't care then that method is useless. Here though i do agree that it does make innocents more likely to turn into baddies too :/

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: July 7, 2016
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you rather give up salt or pepper?
    Useful resources
    AtCTs

Ask the Community Team

Got a question about the site content or our moderation? Ask here.

Welcome Lounge

Welcome Lounge

We're a friendly bunch. Post here if you're new to TSR.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.