Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hello,

I've been living in the UK for over 5 years. In the online application page there is a note stating 'You can apply as though you were a UK national if you’ve been living in the UK for more than 5 years before the first day of the first academic year of your course.'

I therefore applied as a UK national. However, I am now being requested to provide a UK passport or Birth certificate as proof of identity. I don't have either of these, only my Identity Card.

How should I proceed in this situation?

Thank you.
    • Section Leader
    • Very Important Poster
    • Peer Support Volunteers
    • Clearing and Applications Advisor

ReputationRep:
    Section Leader
    Very Important Poster
    Peer Support Volunteers
    Clearing and Applications Advisor
    (Original post by AntSou29)
    Hello,

I've been living in the UK for over 5 years. In the online application page there is a note stating 'You can apply as though you were a UK national if you’ve been living in the UK for more than 5 years before the first day of the first academic year of your course.'

I therefore applied as a UK national. However, I am now being requested to provide a UK passport or Birth certificate as proof of identity. I don't have either of these, only my Identity Card.

How should I proceed in this situation?

Thank you.
    I would look into whether you are eligible for a passport but first phone sfe and see what they suggest.
    • Official TSR Representative

ReputationRep:
    Official TSR Representative
    Hi AntSou29

The evidence being asked for is for UK nationals. You can send:

• EU Passport (must be in date) - original
    • EU National Identity Card (must be in date) - original
    • Original Non-UK Passport (must be in date) along with either an Immigration Status Document (I.S.D) or a Home Office letter confirming you status in the UK. We no longer accept Republic of Ireland birth certificates.
    • Travel Document
    • Certificate of Naturalisation
    • Certificate of Registration (must be original)
    • Biometric Residence Permit cards
    Thanks

ReputationRep:
    Hello Mark,

Thanks for the reply. That was very helpful.

Will ONE of the mentioned documents suffice? Last year I applied to SFE for an Access to HE course fee loan. On that occasion I sent them my EU Identity Card. Can I send this in the same envelope as the signed Declaration Form?

Also, how does SFE confirm that I've been living and working in the UK for five years? I've been paying taxes and NI during this period, so this information should be easily available on HMRC, right? Does SFE retrieve this information from them, or am I going to be asked to get in contact with all my previous employers for some sort of document?

Kind regards,

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Brussels sprouts
    Useful resources

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.