Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    hi,
    So i had an argument with my manager, walked out and went home. Basically someone important was coming to my department where i was working for a bit of look around and i was asked to leave while he was there and I go work in another department. Then after he was going to come over to the department i was being sent too, and again, i was asked to leave and go back to my original department. Basically asking me to "don't show your face".
    In both departments i have 2-3 colleagues working in and none of them were asked to "hide".
    So i spoke up and questioned why i am being singled out and my managers special remedy is to say go back to your department and i will bring someone else over (the equivalent of putting a lollipop in a kids mouth to stop them (me) crying). Said no out of principle, and then they ordered me to go back, and at that point i said that Im going home.....Who's in the wrong?

ReputationRep:
    Well you as he's your manager and at the end of the day you're getting paid (unless you walk out ) so even if it's unreasonable it's best that you listen to him

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by LDS16)
    Well you as he's your manager and at the end of the day you're getting paid (unless you walk out ) so even if it's unreasonable it's best that you listen to him
    sorry, i dont bend over and take it up the rear.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by wateva)
    sorry, i dont bend over and take it up the rear.
    then you're not going to do well at work

I'm not saying you have to put up with terrible working conditions but kicking up a fuss and storming out means you're pretty much getting fired now and you can probably kiss goodbye to your reference as well. I'd be thinking seriously about why they would want to hide you because from what you've said it sounds like your attitude stinks and you should try and correct that for your next employer. Maybe then you won't be hidden away.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by doodle_333)
    then you're not going to do well at work

I'm not saying you have to put up with terrible working conditions but kicking up a fuss and storming out means you're pretty much getting fired now and you can probably kiss goodbye to your reference as well. I'd be thinking seriously about why they would want to hide you because from what you've said it sounds like your attitude stinks and you should try and correct that for your next employer. Maybe then you won't be hidden away.
    you know sometimes its the company thats got the stinky attitude.

ReputationRep:
    you know sometimes its the company thats got the stinky attitude.
    yeah and I've worked in some terrible places where the managers were utter *****es but you don't have to be that old before people expect a reference and work experience and if they hear 'walked out of a shift in a strop' you will never get hired... if you work for a *****y company find a new job and quit or just hand in your notice if you're in a position to do so... but you can't behave like a child about it

ReputationRep:
    OP, I wholeheartedly commend your willingness to stand up for yourself, but sadly doodle_333 is right. In the eyes of potential employers, having this as a bad mark on your record will hinder your chances of getting a job further down the line. Alas, whilst your manager was a bit of a twit, as long as he's not being unreasonable with their request then changing departments is something they can ask you to do.

I've worked with some jackasses over the years, but unfortunately you do have to suck it up.

ReputationRep:
    hi,
    So i had an argument with my manager, walked out and went home. Basically someone important was coming to my department where i was working for a bit of look around and i was asked to leave while he was there and I go work in another department. Then after he was going to come over to the department i was being sent too, and again, i was asked to leave and go back to my original department. Basically asking me to "don't show your face".
    In both departments i have 2-3 colleagues working in and none of them were asked to "hide".
    So i spoke up and questioned why i am being singled out and my managers special remedy is to say go back to your department and i will bring someone else over (the equivalent of putting a lollipop in a kids mouth to stop them (me) crying). Said no out of principle, and then they ordered me to go back, and at that point i said that Im going home.....Who's in the wrong?
    I think you were right to question it because that is very dodgy behaviour from your manager. You are right to be angry about it because the manager would not tell you the reason why they want you to hide. This is discrimination and insulting telling you to hide but you should not have walked you should just have gone up to the person who came in and introduced yourself to them just to piss your manager off
    You should send an email of complaint to the senior manager above that manager because how they handled it was wrong because they kept moving you and not offered an explanation.
    But in the meantime just turn up at work as if nothing happened and see what the manager says because they might not fire you.

Go and sign up with an employment agency on the high street just incase you do get into trouble and if you are fired and can't use them as a reference just do voluntary work to get a reference as i don't always use every company i have worked for as a reference but personally they can't refuse to give you a reference because i think it's against the law or it's against the law to give you a bad reference, i'm not sure which one it is.
    Hopefully you won't be fired and i don't think you will be but if it does happen you will get a new job straight away by going to an agency.
    I think it was unreasonable for the manager to keep moving you around without giving you an explanation and it's unprofessional trying to hide you from
    client's /customer's. You can use that against the company / manager if they do fire you or get told off for walking out

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: July 10, 2016
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you rather give up salt or pepper?
    Useful resources
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.