It's May v Leadsom for Number 10 Watch

MagicNMedicine
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 years ago
So the next Prime Minister will be female, meaning that by next year the UK PM, US President and German Chancellor could all be women.

The Boris / Gove leave machine has now been derailed without either of them ending up in Number 10 and potentially without either of them achieving a major Cabinet position if May wins as she has a long standing feud with Gove and doesn't seem to rate Boris much.

For so long the next Conservative leadership battle was forecast to be between Osborne and Boris. I always thought May might be in there but Andrea Leadsom has come out of nowhere in the past few weeks. I think she's well behind May in terms of experience and gravitas, but the Tory members might pick her as she has aligned herself with the Eurosceptics and she is making more of an effort to seem like Margaret Thatcher than May.
username1221160
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
I' not surprised to see Gove eliminated. His duplicitous character really is not fitting for the role as PM and likely didn't go down well with his colleagues.

Money has to be on May unless Leadsom puts up a good fight Although her vague memory regarding her previous jobs hasn't been the best of starts.
sunnydespair
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
Well may was for remain, does she now have the ability to deal with brexit. leadsom was for leave
TercioOfParma
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
Hopefully Leadsom, she has a good CV and supported the winning campaign, so it follows that she should lead us out of the EU.
Jammy Duel
  • Political Ambassador
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
And once again the so called progressives in Labour and the Lib Dems have been put to shame, the Tories are delivering the second female PM while the others can't even elect one as leader despite giving them leg ups.
swervybang
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
I hope Andrea Leadsom wins.
similarBlank
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
#Leadsom4PM

I wanted Leadsom for PM when she was tied with Liam Fox at 4% as least likely to become PM.
username2283891
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by sunnydespair)
Well may was for remain, does she now have the ability to deal with brexit. leadsom was for leave
According to Ken Clarke May doesn't know anything about foreign affairs....Now, Clarke is a lunatic - as are most out of touch MPs - so do with that info as you will.

http://news.sky.com/story/watch-ken-...dates-10423744
Sun_Bear
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
Please Leadsome, May looks ugly af does not have a prime minister's presence.
Alfissti
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
I hope May gets it.

We can't be having a non-Oxbridge graduate as PM..
Jammy Duel
  • Political Ambassador
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by David0015)
According to Ken Clarke May doesn't know anything about foreign affairs....Now, Clarke is a lunatic - as are most out of touch MPs - so do with that info as you will.

http://news.sky.com/story/watch-ken-...dates-10423744
He's just a bitter old man, lost the leadership several times and now is being dragged out of his beloved EU.
oShahpo
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
Not Leadsom. Her CV is not that impressive, she tried to evade tax in the past and opposed gay marriage because it would "hurt the Christians", the last thing we want for PM is a religious tax-evader.
oShahpo
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by Alfissti)
I hope May gets it.

We can't be having a non-Oxbridge graduate as PM..
I am not an Oxbridge graduate, but it seems that the level of one's education in politics correlates with their success as leaders, and as Oxbridge are the top two unis, you'd expect the top PM candidates to have had any experience with either of them.
That said, it ís incredibly shallow and stupid to judge a PM on the university they went to alone, and not their policies and actions.
oShahpo
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by Sun_Bear)
May is definitely a seven or an eight, whilst Leadom being a 5 max.
username2283891
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by oShahpo)
Not Leadsom. Her CV is not that impressive, she tried to evade tax in the past and opposed gay marriage because it would "hurt the Christians", the last thing we want for PM is a religious tax-evader.
Absolute nonsense...She says she disagrees with christians & AGREES with gay marriage:

http://www.itv.com/news/2016-07-07/a...-going-to-war/

She has clearly said she will provide her tax returns when she got to this stage of the voting.
oShahpo
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
Absolute nonsense...She says she disagrees with christians & AGREES with gay marriage:

She has clearly said she will provide her tax returns when she got to this stage of the voting.
http://www.theguardian.com/politics/...-not-austerity
oShahpo
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago

Tax returns do not show "attempts" at tax evasion, if I am not mistaken.
oShahpo
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
It's the same video, watch it first before commenting on it. Stop reading the Guardian headline & making a judgement from that.

She disagrees with christians over gay marriage, she clearly says that in the video. She also says it in an interview she did with Pink News in 2013.
She clearly contradicts herself, in an appeal to idiots I would presume.
She says "The issue is one I have around the consequences, the very clear hurt to many Christians who felt that marriage in the church can only be between a man and a woman", She also says "I didn't really like the legislation"
then in the end she says "But I absolutely support gay marriage."
So she supports gay marriage, but doesn't like the legislation to make it legal. Interesting.
Fenice
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by MagicNMedicine)
The Boris / Gove leave machine has now been derailed without either of them ending up in Number 10 and potentially without either of them achieving a major Cabinet position if May wins as she has a long standing feud with Gove and doesn't seem to rate Boris much.
Blair and Brown not liking each other was exactly why they kept each other so close. I think it is very unlikely that they won't both be in the cabinet
Legendary Quest
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by Sun_Bear)
That's a great reason to vote for Leadsom. :rolleyes:

Leadsom doesn't even have lips
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Have you made up your mind on your five uni choices?

Yes I know where I'm applying (56)
67.47%
No I haven't decided yet (18)
21.69%
Yes but I might change my mind (9)
10.84%

Watched Threads