Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    I am really interested in doing psychology at Uni next year (sept 2017) but I currently feel as if I do not have enough experience within the field to stand out from the crowd, does anybody have any recommendations on how and where I can get further experience?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by emzo14)
    I am really interested in doing psychology at Uni next year (sept 2017) but I currently feel as if I do not have enough experience within the field to stand out from the crowd, does anybody have any recommendations on how and where I can get further experience?
    work experience is a waste of time, it is nothing like the real job

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by theBranicAc)
    Thanks for nothing

ReputationRep:
    Thanks for nothing
    your welcome

ReputationRep:
    I want to do medicine, and that is another degree where work experience is helpful. Perhaps similar places for medical work experience may be useful, depending on what you want to do after uni. For example, sorting paperwork out for the local psychologist or in a psychiatric at the hospital may give insight

ReputationRep:
    Well that's just wrong

ReputationRep:
    I'm not sure where you can get it, but once you've made a list of a few areas first write an email saying a bit a bit yourself and what you want to do there. If you get no response then ring up instead

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by LDS16)
    I want to do medicine, and that is another degree where work experience is helpful. Perhaps similar places for medical work experience may be useful, depending on what you want to do after uni. For example, sorting paperwork out for the local psychologist or in a psychiatric at the hospital may give insight
    I want to do medicine too. Its quite hard to find experience in hospital,GP because you have to be at leat 18.
    Have you done any work experience?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by PrincessBO$$)
    I want to do medicine too. Its quite hard to find experience in hospital,GP because you have to be at leat 18.
    Have you done any work experience?
    Yeah it's difficult. In less than two weeks I have a training session at St Wilfrid's, I've just started to volunteer there at the hospice! Hopefully it may lead to paid work experience if they can put in a good word to the hospital, working as a porter/cleaner or something? I haven't checked out opportunities at hospitals yet though

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by LDS16)
    Yeah it's difficult. In less than two weeks I have a training session at St Wilfrid's, I've just started to volunteer there at the hospice! Hopefully it may lead to paid work experience if they can put in a good word to the hospital, working as a porter/cleaner or something? I haven't checked out opportunities at hospitals yet though
    How old r u? They reject me at hospitals. IM 16
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    Wider reading at this stage is better for your uni application.*

ReputationRep:
    Thanks for nothing
    They have a point; there is little you can do pre-university that reflects the actual career. Too many budding psychologists worry about getting directly relevant experience as soon as possible.

However, working with children (e.g. in schools) is a generic example that some people will try to relate to social/developmental psychology, but school's almost finished. Regardless, it's not a vocational course, so mentioning extra reading in your PS, etc, could be more beneficial.

If you're determined though, just go to a volunteering website and find some opportunities there (e.g. befriending).

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by PrincessBO$$)
    How old r u? They reject me at hospitals. IM 16
    I'm also 16. St Wilfrid's requires you to be 16, some GPs allow 16 year olds to have work experience, mainly shadowing and observing patients. I think some pharmacies allow you to shadow them at 16, but I'm not sure

ReputationRep:
    I really wouldn't worry about work experience until you're 18 and at university (at which point, I'd try and get a paid job which provides experience - though I wouldn't discourage you from doing voluntary work too). You will be highly unlikely to be cleared to work with people until you are 18 due to safeguarding concerns. We're due to get a volunteer here in the next month or so who is under 18, we're going to have a real problem finding meaningful work for them in which they do not even see patients details. The reality is that they will be doing glorified admin work (even the undergrad volunteer who is due to start is going to be typing numbers into a computer).

Volunteering with befriending services, Youth Offending Services, homeless charities, older adults homes, etc will provide far more practical experience that will actually teach you meaningful skills.

And as has been said, focusing on your wider reading at the stage adds more to your application.
    • Official TSR Representative

ReputationRep:
    Official TSR Representative
    Hi!

If you are finding it tricky to find work experience - we can help! Gap Medics offers placements for aspiring healthcare professionals in real hospital settings - and the good news is that you can join us from being 16+.

You can find out loads more about our programmes here: www.gapmedics.co.uk and you can download our handy 'Getting into Medical School' guide (which includes help on how to secure work experience!) at: http://www.gapmedics.co.uk/downloads

If you have any questions at all we are happy to help, just give us a call on 0191 603 1111 or email [email protected]

Good luck!

ReputationRep:
    just read a book - thats enough

ReputationRep:
    I'm looking for someone to help with a review paper im writing, as i need a second person to do a categorisation task to evaluate reliability.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Brexit voters: Do you stand by your vote?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.