Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hi, y'all. Was wondering if there's a way to get a free bus pass for travelling to and from University?

Ta!

Cheerio!
    • Section Leader
    • Very Important Poster
    • Peer Support Volunteers
    • Clearing and Applications Advisor

ReputationRep:
    Section Leader
    Very Important Poster
    Peer Support Volunteers
    Clearing and Applications Advisor
    (Original post by similarBlank)
    Hi, y'all. Was wondering if there's a way to get a free bus pass for travelling to and from University?

Ta!

Cheerio!
    Unless its something that your uni specifically offers then you'll have to pay for a term pass (which can have decent discounts for some bus companies)

ReputationRep:

Ta!

Cheerio!
    Check your uni's web pages. My uni includes a bus pass for free travel between Halls and campus, in the price of the Halls rent. In addition, students can get concessionary rates on other local bus routes with a special bus pass from the main local bus company.*

ReputationRep:

Ta!

Cheerio!
    This so very area and uni specific, you need to post in the forum of the uni you want to go to. At my uni for example you could get a heavy discount on an annual or 9 month bus pass but you couldn't get it free.
    • TSR Support Team
    • Very Important Poster

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    Very Important Poster
    My local college offered this. (your college ID acted as your bus pass) But not everywhere offers it. My uni didn't, for example.

ReputationRep:
    Ha that'll be the day... universitys and travel companies are stingey buggers.

ReputationRep:

Ta!

Cheerio!
    Never heaed of something lile this. Call the Universiry, maybe a good discount is available.

ReputationRep:
    Currently I get free bus travel because of my Oyster card, but that expires in September and I think I can then get another one in which I get a discount, but I was just wondering if there was one where I don't have to pay at all. :P

Also, my student bank account offers a bus card discount I just realised. I wonder if I could use that in conjuction with the discount Oyster.... probably not, I suppose, one or the other I'm guessing. :P
    • TSR Support Team
    • Very Important Poster

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    Very Important Poster
    You can add a 16-25 railcard to your Oyster card and get discounts that way.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Tiger Rag)
    You can add a 16-25 railcard to your Oyster card and get discounts that way.
    But, let's say for example I got an Oyster card with a third off discount. Then, let's say I got a railcard with a third off discount. If I added the railcard to my Oyster card would I get two thirds off or would one cancel the other out?
    • TSR Support Team
    • Very Important Poster

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    Very Important Poster
    But, let's say for example I got an Oyster card with a third off discount. Then, let's say I got a railcard with a third off discount. If I added the railcard to my Oyster card would I get two thirds off or would one cancel the other out?
    You'd only get the one discount.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Tiger Rag)
    You'd only get the one discount.
    That's ashame.

ReputationRep:
    Ooh I didn't know I could use my railcard for oyster fares too! Thx

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by lemxn)
    Ooh I didn't know I could use my railcard for oyster fares too! Thx
    Me either

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you like to hibernate through the winter months?
    Useful resources
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.