Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

V1002 – Parliamentary Lying and Evidence Bill 2016 (Second Reading) Watch

• View Poll Results: Should this bill be passed into law?
    As many are of the opinion, Aye
    6.98%
    On the contrary, No
    65.12%
    Abstain
    27.91%

• Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:
    Wiki Support Team
    V1002 – Parliamentary Lying and Evidence Bill 2016 (Second Reading), Aph – seconded by PetrosAC MP
    A
    B I L L
    T O
    Make lying to Parliament a Criminal offence, allow Parliament to force witnesses to give testimony and make lying or making misleading claims in a public vote a criminal offence.
    1. Definitions
      1. “Lying” is defined as the deliberate act of stating something as fact when it is known to the person stating the “fact” that it is a falsehood or the person has reasonable evidence to suggest that it might be a falsehood, either entirely or in part.
      2. “Public Vote” is defined as a referendum or a vote which elects persons to represent the public.
      3. “Public office” is defined as: Parliament, any devolved institutions National assembly, a local or county council or Unitary authority.

2. Lying to Parliament
      1. A Person commits the indictable offence of ‘Lying to Parliament’ if he lies to:
        1. A Public Office
        2. Any Parliamentary committee

3. Giving evidence
      1. Any Parliamentary Committee may require a person to attend to give evidence.
      2. Failing to attend a committee meeting to give evidence is the criminal offence of “Failing to provide evidence”.

4. Lying in public votes
      1. A person commits the offence of “Lying in a Public Vote” if they:
        1. Lie whilst on a broadcasted interview or debate to do with a public vote.
        2. Personally endorse any media which contains a lie to do with a public vote.
        3. Personally endorse or make any potentially misleading media.
      2. An organisation commits the offence of “Lying during a public vote” if they endorse or cause the creation of any media which contains a lie to do with a public vote, or is misleading.

5. Punishments
      1. A person found guilty of Lying to Parliament can be subject to the following punishments:
        1. Up to 5 years imprisonment
        2. A fine of no more than £10,000
        3. Up to A 10 year ban on working for public office.
      2. A person found guilty of Failing to Provide Evidence can be subject to the following punishments:
        1. Up to 6 months imprisonment
        2. A fine of no more than £5,000
      3. A person found guilty of Lying in a Public Vote Can be subject to the following punishments:
        1. Up to a year imprisonment
        2. A fine of no more than £5,000
        3. Up to A 10 year ban on working for public office.
      4. An organisation found guilty of Lying During a Public Vote can be subject to the following punishments:
        1. Up to a £100,000 fine for each count
        2. Up to a 2 year ban on political campaigning
      5. A registered political party found guilty of Lying During a public vote in which they are running for election can be subject to:
        1. a 1.5% reduction of votes it Received across all affected areas for the first count, and;
        2. an additional 0.75% reduction for each count after that with a maximum of a 25% reduction
      6. An official referendum organization found guilty of Lying During a Public Vote during a referendum can be subject to:
        1. A 1.5% reduction of votes it received for the first count, and;
        2. An additional 0.75% reduction for each count after that with a maximum of a 30% reduction.
    6. Commencement, Short Title and Extent
      1. This bill shall extend to the whole of the United Kingdom;
      2. This bill may be cited as the Parliamentary evidence and lying bill 2016; and,
      3. Shall come into effect immediately following Royal assent.

notes
    Spoiler:
    Show
    Changes for second reading
    This now applies to all public office and not just Parliament.
    Harsher punishments.
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    Aph continuing his usual disdain of democracy, I'm surprised that PetrosAC even allowed this through.
    • Wiki Support Team
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Wiki Support Team
    Political Ambassador
    (Original post by Jammy Duel)
    Aph continuing his usual disdain of democracy, I'm surprised that PetrosAC even allowed this through.
    Again, literally wasn't even asked about this being put to vote

I'll abstain. Generally agree with the principle but not sure on the implementation.

ReputationRep:
    I'll vote yes to show that I believe that politicians should be held accountable for their words. Likely won't go through however, I understand why many will vote against.

ReputationRep:
    5.5 and 5.6 are intolerable.

As for the rest i admire the effort and intent but it's probably easier to extend laws surrounding perverting the court of justice rather than do it the way you have.

Abstain potentially, for now a definite May.

ReputationRep:
    Saracen's Fez, if PetrosAC was not consulted about this being put to vote, please change my vote to a nay. While I support the content of this Bill, I vehemently oppose the subversion of procedure.
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    Saracen's Fez - if what TDA says is true, please change my aye to an abstain.
    • Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:
    Wiki Support Team
    (Original post by TheDefiniteArticle)
    Saracen's Fez, if PetrosAC was not consulted about this being put to vote, please change my vote to a nay. While I support the content of this Bill, I vehemently oppose the subversion of procedure.
    (Original post by Quamquam123)
    Saracen's Fez - if what TDA says is true, please change my aye to an abstain.
    If PetrosAC wishes to he has every right to withdraw his seconding, causing the vote to be cancelled.

Otherwise, yes, I will change your votes.
    • Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:
    Wiki Support Team
    One Aye has been changed to an Abstain for seat 23.

One Aye has been changed to a No for seat 43.
    • Wiki Support Team
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Wiki Support Team
    Political Ambassador
    (Original post by Saracen's Fez)
    If PetrosAC wishes to he has every right to withdraw his seconding, causing the vote to be cancelled.

Otherwise, yes, I will change your votes.
    I won't be withdrawing my seconding - the bill is likely to fail anyway.
    • Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:
    Wiki Support Team
    The right honourable gentleman once again demonstrates his astounding ability to unite people from across the political spectrum (against him).

But seriously, as has already been said, it's a good try - but not something I can vote for at this time.
    • Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:
    Wiki Support Team
    Ayes to the right: 3
    Noes to the left: 28
    Abstentions: 12

The Noes have it! The Noes have it! Unlock!

Turnout: 86%

TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: July 12, 2016
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Brexit voters: Do you stand by your vote?
    Useful resources

Articles:

Debate and current affairs forum guidelines

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.