The Student Room Group

Personal Compelling Reasons Help

Hey guys,

I've been asked to retake my first year and change degree pathway to a more suitable and flexible subject. I was unfortunately hospitalised in February 2016 and whilst recovering I was unable to attend to my studies. I also have disability, so I couldn't manage my recovery, disability and missed a lot of lectures, seminars and coursework.

Again, my health deteriorated during exam time which left me medically unable to attend one exam. My hospital consultant is willing to write a letter explaining I was medically unable to attend lectures, seminars and attend to my studies fully. Basically confirming everything that happened.

I did not contact University student support, so i'm unsure if that'll play against me getting compelling personal reasons?

I would have used my gift year but unfortunately I had to change Universities. I have used one year already. My previous university went through a restricting programme and the department I was under was at one point going to inevitably close and this wasn't the degree I signed up for, I went for the Department essentially.

I withdrew from study and applied to another University, and so this new university would like me to repeat a year, but as mentioned before was from health reasons.

The old university did keep the department open but with job loses for professors and main lecturers. I had to submit a ucas application which was after the final decision was made, but I had letters which confirm intent to close the Department.

I'm not sure If I can reclaim the gift year back because of the department? or additional funding because of illness? Do these count as compelling reasons or not?

Thanks guys
Adam
Reply 1
CPR would be based on your personal health reasons and not departmental/course issues. It does sound like you have good grounds for claiming CPR. Ask your consultant to explain in his/her letter why your health problems disrupted your studies so badly. If you kept any part of your uni informed e.g. your course leader, then you could ask them to write a letter confirming that you made them aware of your situation.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending