Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
    • Thread Starter

    Hey guys,

    I've been asked to retake my first year and change degree pathway to a more suitable and flexible subject. I was unfortunately hospitalised in February 2016 and whilst recovering I was unable to attend to my studies. I also have disability, so I couldn't manage my recovery, disability and missed a lot of lectures, seminars and coursework.

    Again, my health deteriorated during exam time which left me medically unable to attend one exam. My hospital consultant is willing to write a letter explaining I was medically unable to attend lectures, seminars and attend to my studies fully. Basically confirming everything that happened.

    I did not contact University student support, so i'm unsure if that'll play against me getting compelling personal reasons?

    I would have used my gift year but unfortunately I had to change Universities. I have used one year already. My previous university went through a restricting programme and the department I was under was at one point going to inevitably close and this wasn't the degree I signed up for, I went for the Department essentially.

    I withdrew from study and applied to another University, and so this new university would like me to repeat a year, but as mentioned before was from health reasons.

    The old university did keep the department open but with job loses for professors and main lecturers. I had to submit a ucas application which was after the final decision was made, but I had letters which confirm intent to close the Department.

    I'm not sure If I can reclaim the gift year back because of the department? or additional funding because of illness? Do these count as compelling reasons or not?

    Thanks guys

    CPR would be based on your personal health reasons and not departmental/course issues. It does sound like you have good grounds for claiming CPR. Ask your consultant to explain in his/her letter why your health problems disrupted your studies so badly. If you kept any part of your uni informed e.g. your course leader, then you could ask them to write a letter confirming that you made them aware of your situation.
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

    You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

  • Poll
    Have you ever participated in a Secret Santa?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

    You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

  • The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

    Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

    Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.