The Student Room Group

History GCSE

On my mock, exams I have received an E in GCSE history ! and was devastated by the result. Weirdly I revised really well with knowing the subjects yet I was told that my method on how I structured answers were not very good please could anyone give me some tips much appreciated :smile:
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by Witham.lh
On my mock, exams I have received an E in GCSE history ! and was devastated by the result. Weirdly I revised really well with knowing the subjects yet I was told that my method on how I structured answers were not very good please could anyone give me some tips much appreciated :smile:

Past papers! Honestly I did so many questions before I went into my history exams I could have written the mark schemes to the questions as well as the answers. They don't really test your knowledge of history at all, it's more a test of how you can answer questions in the correct way and the only way to get better at that is practise (in my experience anyway...)
What exam board do you do? And do you have the paper on you right now? If so, can you send the question you did worst on and I’ll send you the answer alongside how I structured it.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Past papers and fact cards.

For a 4 mark inference question, you need one point with a quotation from the source to support it.

For a 6 mark question, you need two paragraphs, ie one key feature was... and then a second stating another key feature was...This makes it easier for the examiner to find your marks. The two points should be developed.

For an 8 mark question, you need a similar structure to the 6 mark but you need to link and prioritise causes or effects. Also you need to demonstrate how they combine to produce an outcome.

For a 16 mark question, you need to make sure your spelling, punctuation and grammar is perfect as this earns you 4 extra marks. For this question, you should use the two points they give you supported by two from your own knowledge, totalling at 4 paragraphs.

If you use edexcel then this should help. My school use edexcel and in my mock the other week I got an A* follwing these guidlines.
I have lots of AQA History B GCSE tips if you do this exam board and spec!
Original post by sulaimanali
I have lots of AQA History B GCSE tips if you do this exam board and spec!

Same! What topics did you do?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by dexterminate

Posted from TSR Mobile
Paper 1: ToV and LON, Hitler's Foreign Policy and Cold War Paper 2: Weimar Germany, Nazi Germany and Vietnam War
Original post by sulaimanali
Paper 1: ToV and LON, Hitler's Foreign Policy and Cold War Paper 2: Weimar Germany, Nazi Germany and Vietnam War

I have all the same topics as you on P1, but only Vietnam War for P2. How do you feel you did in the exams? I was stuck on that 15 mark on bombing campaigns on P2.

Posted from TSR Mobile
lol I got an E in my mocks
On results day I got an A... My teacher was surprised at how much he underestimated me

I didn't revise for history
Revised the day before
Don't know how I got an A

I recommend past papers and flash cards
Condense information
Remember key dates and facts
Don’t spend all your time remembering dates, you don’t always need them. Remember the facts, like for example, you can say that Chamberlain did appease Hitler as he thought it would prevent war, HOWEVER, Chamberlain knew war was inevitable and the appeasement was done so they had time to prepare for war. History is easy, think of it as gossip.

Posted from TSR Mobile
I have all the same topics as you on P1, but only Vietnam War for P2. How do you feel you did in the exams? I was stuck on that 15 mark on bombing campaigns on P2.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Nice. :smile: I think I did good in the exams. Hopefully A/A*. For bombing, I talked about Operation Rolling Thunder and the Laos+Cambodia Bombing Campaign and you could've talked about general bombing.On the other hand, other events e.g. My Lai etc and strategies by US and VC I talked about for the other side of the argument.
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 12
I haven't received my exam paper for it to be taken home, you see my teacher explained more like questioned me why it was so bad and talked a few points but I lacked that understanding. As soon as i get it back after summer I will let you know if that's okay with you :smile: thank you

What exam board do you do? And do you have the paper on you right now? If so, can you send the question you did worst on and I’ll send you the answer alongside how I structured it.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 13
This may sound stupid but how do you get in the mood to do them they just seem boring :smile: I lack the motivation to do it

Original post by smartalan73
Past papers! Honestly I did so many questions before I went into my history exams I could have written the mark schemes to the questions as well as the answers. They don't really test your knowledge of history at all, it's more a test of how you can answer questions in the correct way and the only way to get better at that is practise (in my experience anyway...)
Reply 14
This is so helpful thankyou :biggrin:

Original post by Adaytoremember
For a 4 mark inference question, you need one point with a quotation from the source to support it.

For a 6 mark question, you need two paragraphs, ie one key feature was... and then a second stating another key feature was...This makes it easier for the examiner to find your marks. The two points should be developed.

For an 8 mark question, you need a similar structure to the 6 mark but you need to link and prioritise causes or effects. Also you need to demonstrate how they combine to produce an outcome.

For a 16 mark question, you need to make sure your spelling, punctuation and grammar is perfect as this earns you 4 extra marks. For this question, you should use the two points they give you supported by two from your own knowledge, totalling at 4 paragraphs.

If you use edexcel then this should help. My school use edexcel and in my mock the other week I got an A* follwing these guidlines.
Reply 15
I did the
Weimar republic
peace keeping after ww1
ww1
ww1

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 16
Well i love to gossip one of my guilty pleasures :smile: shh don't tell anyone
I've never thought about it like that very fascinating thankyou very much :smile:
Don’t spend all your time remembering dates, you don’t always need them. Remember the facts, like for example, you can say that Chamberlain did appease Hitler as he thought it would prevent war, HOWEVER, Chamberlain knew war was inevitable and the appeasement was done so they had time to prepare for war. History is easy, think of it as gossip.

Posted from TSR Mobile
It’s alright! If you ever need any help, don’t hesitate to message me.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest