Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

A town in the US state of South Carolina has banned the wearing of sagging trousers, an offence that may now lead to a $600 (£462) fine.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-36738303

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mathemagicien)
    A town in the US state of South Carolina has banned the wearing of sagging trousers, an offence that may now lead to a $600 (£462) fine.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-36738303
    It's more a matter of civil liberties for me, demanding by law that you can't dress in a certain way... it's either fascism or a brilliant impersonation of fascism.

ReputationRep:
    I don't really see how this is racist. They're just laws against various extents of public nudity.

(Original post by Jjj90)
    It's more a matter of civil liberties for me, demanding by law that you can't dress in a certain way... it's either fascism or a brilliant impersonation of fascism.
    Out of interest, do you oppose all laws relating to "indecent exposure"? e.g. Would you say it should be legal for a person to walk down a public street totally naked?

ReputationRep:
    Lmao that's ridiculous, like... what even.

I'm sure the police have better things to do than to arrest people for showing their boxers :rofl:

ReputationRep:
    LOL, The title is sooo misleading.

I have no respect for anyone who feels that they look better with their pants around their ass and not around their waist
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    Good law tbh. We should have it here.

ReputationRep:
    If anything that's homophobic.

Obviously it isn't

ReputationRep:
    Its not racist, but it will target predominantly young black males with a low socio-economic background. The issue is that it looks pretty bad, and that its all tied up with gangs. Genuinely gangs all wear the same brand and type of jean, and the same boxers (brand and/or colour). Its a way of distinguishing your enemies and friends.

As its quite easy to replicate, younger kids imitate the style and suddenly a whole group of kids have been swayed onto a less than desirable path. I'm sure that they will find other ways to distinguish themselves and the cycle will begin again, but it may give them enough time to attempt to stop the situation in its tracks.

What makes me laugh is that they think because it came from prison its all cool. The original reason for sagging was to let other male inmates know you were single and available for a good time....

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Brexit voters: Do you stand by your vote?
    Useful resources
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.