Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    I'm studying Mathematics at degree level. My first year went fine, then I failed my second year and retook it. I've just come to the end of that retake year, and I failed again. So now I am 1 week away from the referral work deadline, and for the past 2 weeks I've been frantically trying to get the work done, and I've made good progress, but it's not fast enough. I won't get all the work done on time.

I can almost say with certainty that I'm going to fail. What can I do from there? Am I condemned to minimum wage shift work for the rest of my life? What are my options (if I have any)? Any advice or words of wisdom would be appreciated as I'm getting extremely worried and angry at myself.

ReputationRep:
    How did you fail?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ckfeister)
    How did you fail?
    I guess I can blame my first failure of second year on an emotionally abusive girlfriend I had at the time.
    For the second run through, I only have myself to blame. I stopped attending lectures, convincing myself I can just catch up at the library. Then I stopped going library, convincing myself I can just cram it in before exams. I only have myself to blame.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TurboCarlos1)
    I guess I can blame my first failure of second year on an emotionally abusive girlfriend I had at the time.
    For the second run through, I only have myself to blame. I stopped attending lectures, convincing myself I can just catch up at the library. Then I stopped going library, convincing myself I can just cram it in before exams. I only have myself to blame.
    Well always put yourself infront before others, even gf... I'd say talk to the university. People on here will just complain.

ReputationRep:
    It's unfortunate, but perhaps a lesson learned. I'd say keep praying that you have passed and spend all summer catching up so that the 3rd year you wont be behind and will graduate with a decent classification.

If you havent passed, apply for another university as a change might help you get your head down, if you dont want to do that and the uni is okay with it, then resit another year.

I think you do need to weigh this up financially though, youve had to pay for an additional year already, if you dont think you can do well next year, apply to open uni or something. The debt is bad enough as it stands, theres no point adding to it if you're simply going to fail again.

But you wont end up on a minimum wage job forever, I'm confident that you'll work your way up to management in no time.

ReputationRep:
    Get an Apprenticeship!
    • Very Important Poster

Very Important Poster
    If you are being seen by the Dr then you could plead mitigating and try for an extension. You could put your application down to trauma.

Alternatively be prepared to do another retake. Your problem is funding.

You could try and transfer into the 2nd year of another course, but you only have one years funding left. You would need to make an appeal and get one of your years funding written off due to extenuating circumstances. That would then give you enough funding to finish a trasfer degree.

You arent telling us whether you failed a single module or the marks were poor across the whole year. If all your marks are poor then I wouldnt proceed to the third year as your degree class is likely to be poor. Id go for a trasnfer into 2nd year.

By your own admission its a sutuation you seem to have gotten yourself into and you have limited reasons to explain this other than your attitude.
    If you leave Uni, then as pointed out above you still have time to look for an apprenticeship or just get a job with what you have i.e A levels.

Talk to your tutor or someone in the SU.

ReputationRep:
    To be realistic you've had the chance to resit second year which is something you're lucky to get, if you've failed again you won't get another chance.

In terms of job prospects just do an apprenticeship. In terms of uni you should be able to get a CertHE out of your uni as you passed first year and you can use those credits towards an OU degree.
    • TSR Support Team
    • Study Helper

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    Study Helper
    You've failed uni for two years in a row... I don't think uni is for you.

In life, crap happens of course, but you take responsibility for your own actions and thought processes. Even if your first 2nd year is true, unless that ex-girlfriend of yours, physically stopped you from doing any of your work, you don't really have a case. Especially if you didn't see any sort of psychological help for what you experienced. Also, your laziness during the 2nd retake will not be seen highly of other institutes. Cause, if you did apply to other unis, they'd definitely want to know why you failed twice in a row.

I think it's better to perhaps just get a job now and just go back to uni when you can afford the extra year of funding.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TurboCarlos1)
    I'm studying Mathematics at degree level. My first year went fine, then I failed my second year and retook it. I've just come to the end of that retake year, and I failed again. So now I am 1 week away from the referral work deadline, and for the past 2 weeks I've been frantically trying to get the work done, and I've made good progress, but it's not fast enough. I won't get all the work done on time.

I can almost say with certainty that I'm going to fail. What can I do from there? Am I condemned to minimum wage shift work for the rest of my life? What are my options (if I have any)? Any advice or words of wisdom would be appreciated as I'm getting extremely worried and angry at myself.

It doesn't mean you have to be a KP for the rest of your life, just means you might want to take a different route into the career you want, through things like an apprenticeship or starting at the bottom and working your way up.

Maths is a bit ambiguous...

Do you really know what you want to do with your life?

ReputationRep:
    Sounds like you need to give women a break pal. They can drain your energy and intellect if they're messing you about.. have you heard of the NoFap movement, since going abstinent my intellect, concentration and motivation has skyrocketed and I don't have the desire to pursue meaningless relationships with women anymore and I also ended an emotionally abusive relationship with ease. I know this isn't the time to ask, but could you recommend a graphical calculator that would be good for maths at degree level which I can use in exams etc?

ReputationRep:
    This can't be harder than A-level c'mon

ReputationRep:
    Get of TSR. Work.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you like to hibernate through the winter months?
    Useful resources
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.