Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    I have been allocated a Glasney En Suite room in my 1st year at Falmouth. I was just wondering if people could give me some advice on what I need to buy for the kitchen and for in my room. Obviously all the obvious; duvet, pillow, kitchen essentials. But is there anything that has made your uni experience better that isn't an obvious uni buy? Also, are the beds comfortable. Should I invest in a mattress topper? Do the rooms smell nice etc?

ReputationRep:
    Bump ^^

I would also love to know!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by pugloverdais)
    I have been allocated a Glasney En Suite room in my 1st year at Falmouth. I was just wondering if people could give me some advice on what I need to buy for the kitchen and for in my room. Obviously all the obvious; duvet, pillow, kitchen essentials. But is there anything that has made your uni experience better that isn't an obvious uni buy? Also, are the beds comfortable. Should I invest in a mattress topper? Do the rooms smell nice etc?
    Hey, I'm a first year going to my second year this coming September. I lived in Glasney Ensuite room for my first year and I would say you don't necessarily have to get a lot for your kitchen or room but the essentials. I do suggest getting a mattress topper since mattresses varies in age and comfortability. I had one and it was a lot better than not and you can also keep it when you move out to your next house. A good smallish speaker is also good for parties but general chilling in the kitchen or your room. A knife sharpener is also a good one since mid way through the year, everyone's knives starts to become blunt and useless. I had troubles with it but I easily sharpened my knives using other knives but a sharpener is a lot safer haha Rooms tend to smell alright but I suggest getting a room freshener spray or whatever to freshen up once in a while especially when you have people around which believe me will be a lot of the time. A good laundry hamper is also handy but preferably something you can fold and tuck away when not used so you have more free space in the room but also carry to the laundrettes. Now for the not so essentials I suggest not bringing too many cutleries or plates and what nots. You'll either not have space for them or you'll lose a few by the end. You have flatmates you can ask for things you don't have. Just generally sharing in the flat is good but always clean up after you use them. Don't let them get away with not cleaning what was used or it stir up an argument by the end of the year haha Hope this was helpful and good luck for your first year here!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by LJCFOREVER)
    Hi are mini fridges allowed? I have a ensuite at glasney
    Hello there! I'm a first year student heading into second year this September- and I lived in halls during my first year! Mini fridges are of a potential fire hazard, but if you require a mini fridge to store important stuffs like medications or as for an assistance with a disability, you may do so with a written permission of the Halls Manager or Site Supervisor. They might request for a medical confirmation of what equipment is required and will request a specification in order to confirm that it can be supported in your residence! Hope that helps
    • Official TSR Representative

ReputationRep:
    Official TSR Representative
    I'm a mature student and I'm not really wanting to use the shared fridges... due to people taking food etc and I will go mental if that happens!
    (Original post by pewpewdieyou)
    Mini fridges are of a potential fire hazard, but if you require a mini fridge to store important stuffs like medications or as for an assistance with a disability, you may do so with a written permission of the Halls Manager or Site Supervisor.
    Unfortunately, as PewPewDieYou rightly points out, mini fridges are a fire hazard. Not even staff are allowed mini fridges for their offices. This has been the case at every university I've worked at. It is down to universities' duty of care: the requirement for them to implement reasonably practicable ways of reducing risk of harm to their students---as is required by relevant UK health and safety law---namely in this case that, should such a fridge start a fire, other students would be put at (an easily avoidable) risk of harm.

If you have a legitimate reason, then of course you will be entitled to use one. However, it is important to note that medical fridges designed for temperature-sensitive medication are generally built to a different standard to the typical kind of mini fridges which are widely available commercially. This is because such medication must be stored in a safe way and the fridges are generally designed to provide an element of peace of mind. Such features usually include: a digital thermometer and display; fans to equalize the pressure and temperature; mechanisms to calibrate the temperature; insulating internal doors; and an alarm. They are usually also kite-marked to verify that relevant standards have been quality assured.

Most estates supervisors will either insist on the use of a fridge from a list of approved models/manufacturers, or will install a suitable fridge for you. It would also need to be PAT tested before it could be switched on. Again, this comes down to duty of care. The Accessibility and/or Living Support & Well-being teams will be able to advise you of any specifics.

Find out how to contact them here: http://www.fxplus.ac.uk/students/student-services

With Regards,
    Michael
    • Official TSR Representative

ReputationRep:
    Official TSR Representative
    I have had a email back and I am allowed mine as my fridge is not a fire hazard.. so anyway hope that helps other people thanks anyway!
    I just asked a representative from the Accommodation Team to comment, and this was their response:

This is correct, students can not bring a fridge, but can request for a small medical fridge in their room for medical purposes only.
    Medical grounds only. Sorry to be a bearer of bad news.

With Regards,
    Michael

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Brussels sprouts
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.