The Student Room Group

Will my Art give me limitations?

I study Chemistry, Biology and Art. I have recently been on a course with other potential Medical students, when I asked what they were studying they all pretty much were the same, Chemistry, Maths, physics and biology. This has panicked me, will art prevent me from getting offers?
Original post by bibs123
I study Chemistry, Biology and Art. I have recently been on a course with other potential Medical students, when I asked what they were studying they all pretty much were the same, Chemistry, Maths, physics and biology. This has panicked me, will art prevent me from getting offers?

Nope. The reason why a good proportion of medical applicants have that combination is because they are good at all the sciences so they play to that strength. But, as long as you can meet the entry requirement (grade wise) for your offer (when the time comes), having art does not put you at a disadvantage. I've met a broad range of med students with other subjects including psychology, history (myself)!

Off the top of my head, there are a couple of colleges in Oxbridge which require 4 sciences (maths being a science) but no other UK med school does. So, just focus on your application and your grades and you're good to go.

Warm Regards,

Mel
WAMSoc
Reply 2
Art may not be considered academically rigorous, so rejection on this basis is a distinct possibility.
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by Profesh
Art may not be considered academically rigorous, so rejection on this basis is a distinct possibility.

It doesn't work that way in medicine. The only subjects that aren't accepted are general studies and critical thinking (and further maths isn't viewed separately to maths).

Original post by bibs123

Get an A in it and you'll be on the same footing as the people studying biology and physics.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending