Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hi, so I have just finished my first year at college and it's really frustrating me that the a level system has changed and I feel like it is going to be so much harder. Essentially, everything is down to the exams at the end of next year as opposed to being able to get some grades under your belt from this year. Also it's not like the entry requirements for uni's will take these into consideration
    Anyone else agree??

ReputationRep:
    It just measn that people cant retake year 12 exams after getting an extra year to go over it. Seems pretty fair imo

ReputationRep:
    Meh, neither fair or unfair just unnecessary. People like to complain :rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    I think it's okay (then again, I've jumped in at the last minute and all my courses are done under the old method so ) but for colleges/6th forms making students do AS before the A2, quite frankly I think that's stupid.

My friend has to do that in Sociology and I asked him about. Then he told me that he has to repeat the 2 exams he did in AS, in the A2 year along with 2 more.

What a waste of time.

ReputationRep:
    kk guys thanks for the replies. I guess it's just daunting the idea of having to relearn this years stuff on top of next years ))

ReputationRep:
    I don't like it.

For those who are not doing AS exams, they won't understand the problems of the new system. For them, it's as simple as 'study for two years, take exams.' For people doing AS exams, the course has been dramatically separated into AS and A2. For them, it will feel like doing A-levels in a single year instead of two because they have to relearn the AS content. After their AS exams, learners probably will not touch on AS content again in class until a month or so until the exams. It's true that they've had the same amount of time in the very end to learn as those who are not taking AS exams, but those not taking AS exams have a much more flexible schedule for learning the content because they don't need to worry about looming exams.

Then you've got the issue of not being able to accurately predict A2 results. Firstly teachers will have no official exam performance to go on when making predicted grades, and secondly A2 results could be drastically different from AS results because Year 1 AS results do not influence Year 2 A2 results. This makes it harder for universities to decide who to give offers to, and who is likely to be able to meet the offers.

The new system doesn't have UMS anymore, and despite months of trying to work it out, I still can't understand why. It makes it difficult for applicants to gauge the strength of their application, it throws into question how A* grades will be awarded, and I have no idea what's going to become of Cambridge's Supplementary Application Questionnaire, which relied on UMS marks.

It does have some advantages though. For those who screw up their AS year, they still have another chance to get high grades. However, they would need to wait an extra year to go to university because no university will give them offers with their bad AS results, just as before how people would have to wait another year to go to university if they wanted to resit their A-levels.

The new system is likely to be tougher too, which is good news for those who are able to do well because they are able to make themselves stand further out from the crowd.

Overall, there are more inconveniences caused than improvements.

ReputationRep:
    SO glad I did the old system A-levels. Retakes have saved my ass.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ell.i.am)
    Hi, so I have just finished my first year at college and it's really frustrating me that the a level system has changed and I feel like it is going to be so much harder. Essentially, everything is down to the exams at the end of next year as opposed to being able to get some grades under your belt from this year. Also it's not like the entry requirements for uni's will take these into consideration
    Anyone else agree??
    Unis won't take into consideration 'new A-levels' as that will have been done by the exams boards when creating the grade boundaries.

In fact unis will be increasing their offers.

ReputationRep:
    They're good because
    - allows more time to 'get comfortable' with the content
    - more time spent learning than revising
    - allows you to **** up internal exams with few drawbacks

They're bad because
    - too much focus on memorising, especially in the sciences
    - you can coast and **** up the exams at the end of the two years
    - if you take AS exams and **** up because of a bad day, you could have a disadvantage over someone who didn't take the exams but is merely predicted to do well
    - fewer past papers

IMO I'd be happy with the new A-levels if AS exams were compulsory.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Brussels sprouts
    Help with your A-levels

All the essentials

The adventure begins mug

Student life: what to expect

What it's really like going to uni

Rosette

Essay expert

Learn to write like a pro with our ultimate essay guide.

Uni match

Uni match

Our tool will help you find the perfect course for you

Study planner

Create a study plan

Get your head around what you need to do and when with the study planner tool.

Study planner

Resources by subject

Everything from mind maps to class notes.

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A student doing homework

Study tips from A* students

Students who got top grades in their A-levels share their secrets

Study help links and info

Can you help? Study help unanswered threadsRules and posting guidelines

Sponsored content:

HEAR

HEAR

Find out how a Higher Education Achievement Report can help you prove your achievements.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.