The Student Room Group

Why do so many people want to study medicine?

Scroll to see replies

Unique and challenging career, almost 100% employment I think, good money eventually, prestigious field and you gain lifelong skills and abilities which no other jobs can offer. But most probably just follow their parents:smile:
Original post by PrincessBO$$
Sad, but true. I thought Asian girls were equally clever tho :redface:

Of course they are, but from what I've observed, traditional Asian families have a dislike for highly educated women (gender roles etc), and often male doctors raised in these families don't want an equally educated wife.
Original post by HopelessMedic
Unique and challenging career, almost 100% employment I think, good money eventually, prestigious field and you gain lifelong skills and abilities which no other jobs can offer. But most probably just follow their parents:smile:

There are plenty of jobs out there that also offer lifelong skills and abilities :smile:
Original post by Serine Soul
Of course they are, but from what I've observed, traditional Asian families have a dislike for highly educated women (gender roles etc), and often male doctors raised in these families don't want an equally educated wife.

Ah :biggrin: So Asian Male doctors find themselves a hot housewife?:tongue:
There are plenty of jobs out there that also offer lifelong skills and abilities :smile:

My bad I meant specifically the skills gained from being a doctor
Rishtas obviously :tongue:.
(edited 7 years ago)
My bad I meant specifically the skills gained from being a doctor

And what are these skills specific only to doctors ?
Ah :biggrin: So Asian Male doctors find themselves a hot housewife?:tongue:

Yup

You're not planning on becoming a hot housewife now are you? :colonhash:

It was my plan when I was 15 :biggrin: Then feminism happened :awesome:
Yup

You're not planning on becoming a hot housewife now are you? :colonhash:

Spoiler

:sexface: I'm aspiring to be one.

Spoiler

Original post by Kadak
And what are these skills specific only to doctors ?

Ability to save someone's life......
:sexface: I'm aspiring to be one.

Spoiler

:five:

You don't have to die alone :hugs:
:five:

You don't have to die alone :hugs:

i know. Getting married is my top prioty after getting a job :smug:

So the scientists responsible for creating drugs and making medical discoveries arent saving lives ?
The scientists and engineers responsible for medical technologies such as PET scans and electron microscopes arent saving lives ?
The mathmaticians who work help doctors interpret data arent saving lives ?

My teacher told me,be a doctor and you can help maybe a couple of thousand people in your lifetime,go into science and you can help many more.
i know. Getting married is my top prioty after getting a job :smug:

Mine too! What am I gonna do with the money I earn? Need to have a family, buy a house, spend on my kids so they get the opportunities I never had...:cry2:

there are other jobs which achieve this

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Kadak
So the scientists responsible for creating drugs and making medical discoveries arent saving lives ?
The scientists and engineers responsible for medical technologies such as PET scans and electron microscopes arent saving lives ?
The mathmaticians who work help doctors interpret data arent saving lives ?

My teacher told me,be a doctor and you can help maybe a couple of thousand people in your lifetime,go into science and you can help many more.

Go into business and you can help millions

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by alanaro
Overworked, underpaid, diminishing respect. Yet there are 10 applicants for every university place. What's the appeal?

I think the main appeal of Medicine it's seen as being financially "low risk", in that you're pretty much guaranteed a job once you graduate, and you're unlikely to ever be made redundant or end up earning so little that you can't afford to pay your rent and feed your family. You'll always have enough money to be "comfortable".

This risk-aversion might be especially prevalent amongst those who come from modest backgrounds or less economically developed countries. They're probably less likely to have ambitions for a seven-figure salary and a Hollywood lifestyle, more content (even counting themselves very lucky) to be able to live to an ordinary, middle-class standard, possibly highly afraid of the realities of poverty that they may have witnessed first-hand, and less likely to have vast amounts of family money or other wealth to fall back on if their career doesn't work out.

It's true that there are other careers out there where can have more prestige and earn more money for doing less hard, laborious work. But these are normally careers in which mediocrity won't get you far at all. You'd normally have to be outstanding in your field and perhaps have a bit of luck as well. For some people, these greater rewards are not worth the risk.

Other reasons why I think medicine is so popular are:

- It still carries the respect of a competitive profession that is difficult to get into, requires extensive education and personal qualities, and involves helping people

(Again, especially for those with backgrounds in less developed countries where there is less wealth, diseases and mortality are widespread, healthcare is limited and seen as a privilege rather than a right, and education levels are low, doctors may carry a level of respect akin to miracle-workers, geniuses, celebrities or millionaires)

- It offers flexibility (e.g. overtime/locum pay for those who need extra money, reduced sessions for those who want to balance a family life with their career)

- Jobs for doctors are available pretty much everywhere, be it in a major city, in the countryside, or on a remote island. This provides flexibility over where to live

- Since doctors almost always deal directly with the public, it's a profession that everybody has heard of and understands, regardless of their background

- The entry routes into the profession are simple and well understood, with very standard application processes (rather than being more about "who you know")

- There is still the potential to earn extremely high salaries for those who really want to and are business-minded (e.g. private practitioners, certain GPs)
(edited 7 years ago)
A lot of the Asians are pushed into it by parents and don't know any different/are too scared to man up and tell them they don't want to
Original post by Princepieman
Go into business and you can help millions

Posted from TSR Mobile

Yeah but in medicine you can help someone more personally- I.e. you can see who you're helping and they usually say thanks
Most kids choose medicine because of the pressure from their parents:tongue:
Your either
-Doctor
-Engineer
-Lawyer
Or a FAILURE

Spoiler

I'm getting pushed towards medicine or engineering. I'm lucky though because I genuinely love engineering!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending