Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hi

I am just wondering if the fact I have been diagnosed with generalised anxiety disorder may affect my chances at getting a place on a PGCE course? I have been receiving CBT and am aware of my triggers (all related to health or triggered when I have nothing to do, I am sure this would not be a problem if I am successful in my application, PGCE and obtaining a teaching position!)
    I am desperate to get on the course, having spent several weeks getting valuable work experience in schools, I just can't imagine doing anything else, and I would hate to think that my anxiety could get in the way of that.
    I have also had to receive counselling through my university in one instance over the past year regarding a traumatic event that was out of my control and initiated by another student (resulting in their exclusion). Despite having problems with the anxiety and this particular incident I have not taken any time off uni. I did apply for mitigating circumstances in case my performance was affected (due to this incident with another student rather than the anxiety...other students and staff also had to receive counselling) however, I still achieved high grades and did not need to exercise my rights to reassessment.
    Please someone tell me that they had anxiety issues and were still accepted on to a PGCE?!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Haylor)
    Hi

I am just wondering if the fact I have been diagnosed with generalised anxiety disorder may affect my chances at getting a place on a PGCE course? I have been receiving CBT and am aware of my triggers (all related to health or triggered when I have nothing to do, I am sure this would not be a problem if I am successful in my application, PGCE and obtaining a teaching position!)
    I am desperate to get on the course, having spent several weeks getting valuable work experience in schools, I just can't imagine doing anything else, and I would hate to think that my anxiety could get in the way of that.
    I have also had to receive counselling through my university in one instance over the past year regarding a traumatic event that was out of my control and initiated by another student (resulting in their exclusion). Despite having problems with the anxiety and this particular incident I have not taken any time off uni. I did apply for mitigating circumstances in case my performance was affected (due to this incident with another student rather than the anxiety...other students and staff also had to receive counselling) however, I still achieved high grades and did not need to exercise my rights to reassessment.
    Please someone tell me that they had anxiety issues and were still accepted on to a PGCE?!
    I don't think it will affect your getting on to the course, and there are several threads similar to yours on this forum, if you search for them. Speaking personally, as a retired teacher, my advice would be to put it on hold until you are better. Teaching is a highly stressful profession and exacerbates pre-existing problems quite considerably. I'd give it a year to get yourself in a better state to tackle it.

ReputationRep:
    If people with mental health disorders were unable to teach, there wouldn't be any teachers.

You have to complete a medical form when successful. Be honest. They may ask for further details, but ultimately, it's only to support you and to see what strategies you have in place.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Haylor)
    Hi

I have major anxiety issues and was accepted. You don't get rejected due to things like that but you declare them after an offer when occupational health ring you. I think they just asked if I needed any support and I said no. *

Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.