Turn on thread page Beta

Geog at LSE watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    Grade requirements seem quite low for LSE (BBB). What's it like for geog? :confused:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Aimée123)
    Grade requirements seem quite low for LSE (BBB). What's it like for geog? :confused:
    LSE is not reputated for Geog.. hence BBB

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TheWolf)
    LSE is not reputated for Geog.. hence BBB
    Ah so not worth applying for it there then? I'm thinking Ox/Cam, Durham, Bristol, Nottingham and Exeter atm. Just trying to decide on a sixth. Any ideas?

ReputationRep:
    Ah so not worth applying for it there then? I'm thinking Ox/Cam, Durham, Bristol, Nottingham and Exeter atm. Just trying to decide on a sixth. Any ideas?
    dont apply to LSE if you want to do any 'physical' stuff

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TheWolf)
    dont apply to LSE if you want to do any 'physical' stuff
    Ah ok, I'd quite like a mix of both to be honest, and have a science alevel, so it should be ok. Do you know other unis which are good for geog other than the one's I've mentioned?

ReputationRep:
    Leeds

ReputationRep:
    UCL has the best Geography department in the capital, and one of the best in the country. Their undergraduate programme seems to be more flexible than that of the LSE - which is strongly geared towards socio-human geography.

ReputationRep:
    I wouldn't take the entry requirements as a sign of the quality, offer grades at LSE are in general lower than you'd expect, but the actual grades of successful applicants tend to be quite a bit higher. But LSE is a social science type of university, so that's the type of course you're going to get there.

ReputationRep:
    What aspect of Geog are you after?

For a good coastal set up Swansea is good. For town planning, Durham etc..

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Fluffy)
    What aspect of Geog are you after?

For a good costal set up Swansea is good. For town planning, Durham etc..
    I want a balance of both human and physical geog, with good employment prospects, and respected departments.

ReputationRep:
    I want a balance of both human and physical geog, with good employment prospects, and respected departments.
    Swansea might be a good choice then. They have leading labs in GIS and Satalite Earth obs as well as having the only radiocarbon dating laboratory in a UK Geography department for research in environmental reconstruction.

I realise things change annually in the education field, and I guess it might not be as respected as it once was (then again, it might be!).

ReputationRep:
    Southampton are really good for geography. They have Europe's leading Oceanography centre

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ~Sam~)
    Southampton are really good for geography. They have Europe's leading Oceanography centre
    That sounds cool actually, do they do a lot of water based work?

ReputationRep:
    That sounds cool actually, do they do a lot of water based work?
    I'm not entirely sure, I think so. My geography teacher recommended people to go there to do geography.

Here's the geog department website

http://www.geog.soton.ac.uk/school/default.asp

and the oceanography one:

http://www.soes.soton.ac.uk/admissions/

There's other relevent pages if you look on the soton website

www.soton.ac.uk

You can do a jpint honours in geography and oceanography too

Hope that helps!

ReputationRep:
    Cheers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Frances)
    I wouldn't take the entry requirements as a sign of the quality, offer grades at LSE are in general lower than you'd expect, but the actual grades of successful applicants tend to be quite a bit higher. But LSE is a social science type of university, so that's the type of course you're going to get there.
    is accouting and finance a social science?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jay9386)
    is accouting and finance a social science?
    Well I wouldn't include it as one. Doesn't mean that LSE isn't still mainly a social science type university.

ReputationRep:
    What's it like for geog? :confused:

ReputationRep:
    Oxbridge, Durham, Bristol, Nottingham, Southampton, UCL, Sheffield.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jools)
    Lol, straight to the point. I think I've decided on my six, will you tell me what you think? Oxford, Durham, Bristol, Nottingham, Exeter and Southampton.

Poll
Do you think parents should charge rent?
Useful resources
Uni match

Applying to uni?

Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Articles:

Debate and current affairs guidelinesDebate and current affairs wiki

Quick link:

Educational debate unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.