The Student Room Group

Not ingrown toenail

Hello, the side of my left toe hurts and it's swelled up. I cut the corner of my nail because I thought it was onychocryptosis but it can't be because it still hurts despite me cutting the corner. Does anyone have any advice on what it could be and how to get rid of it? (Please don't say go to the doctors because this is an embarrassing situation for me.) thanks!
Original post by Anonymous
Hello, the side of my left toe hurts and it's swelled up. I cut the corner of my nail because I thought it was onychocryptosis but it can't be because it still hurts despite me cutting the corner. Does anyone have any advice on what it could be and how to get rid of it? (Please don't say go to the doctors because this is an embarrassing situation for me.) thanks!

It may still be ingrown toenail - sometimes it can be ingrown further down. Cutting the corner can make it worse, you should only cut your nail straight. You can see if it improves by itself, but the best option may be to see a podiatrist for possible nail surgery, or advice.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 2
Original post by bullettheory
It may still be ingrown toenail - sometimes it can be ingrown further down. Cutting the corner can make it worse, you should only cut your nail straight. You can see if it improves by itself, but the best option may be to see a podiatrist for possible nail surgery, or advice.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Are you sure because like a day after I cut my nails then it happened.
Are you sure because like a day after I cut my nails then it happened.

I've had an ingrown toenail and I've recently had the whole nail removed. My podiatrist told me only to cut straight. Cutting It into the corner will only make things worse

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 4
I've had an ingrown toenail and I've recently had the whole nail removed. My podiatrist told me only to cut straight. Cutting It into the corner will only make things worse

Posted from TSR Mobile

Ah ok when they cut your nail did it hurt?
Ah ok when they cut your nail did it hurt?

Not really. They give you local anaesthetic in your toe. After 10 mins or so it is completely numb. The actual removal of the nail or part of the nail takes up to 5 minutes. You have some pain after the op but paracetamol will be enough to make you more comfortable.

You then have to change the dressing every 2 days until it has healed.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 6
Not really. They give you local anaesthetic in your toe. After 10 mins or so it is completely numb. The actual removal of the nail or part of the nail takes up to 5 minutes. You have some pain after the op but paracetamol will be enough to make you more comfortable.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Oh ok I'm scared if I'm going to have to do that!
Oh ok I'm scared if I'm going to have to do that!

It's honestly not that bad. They even offered to use the freeze spray on my toe to avoid me feeling the injections too much. For me it was easily worth it as I was fed up of the pain, constant infections and bleeding all over my sock every day.

Posted from TSR Mobile

It sounds like an ingrown toenail. That's exactly what it was like when I had one. When a toenail grows inwards, it sort of curls in towards itself and downwards. You may have cut off the "visible" edge, but not the part which you can't see that is growing into your skin.

Posted from TSR Mobile

I second this. Both my toenails were growing inwards on each side. After the injections I couldn't feel a thing when they operated. Just look the other way!
It's honestly not that bad. They even offered to use the freeze spray on my toe to avoid me feeling the injections too much. For me it was easily worth it as I was fed up of the pain, constant infections and bleeding all over my sock every day.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Yeah whenever I can book an appointment in going for it because it's so annoying.
Original post by Platopus
It sounds like an ingrown toenail. That's exactly what it was like when I had one. When a toenail grows inwards, it sort of curls in towards itself and downwards. You may have cut off the "visible" edge, but not the part which you can't see that is growing into your skin.

Yeah I realised that later on now I'm going to go to a podiatrist as soon as I can.
Original post by Platopus
I second this. Both my toenails were growing inwards on each side. After the injections I couldn't feel a thing when they operated. Just look the other way!

Ah ok thanks so much for the help, at least now I know someone knows what I'm going through.

Quick Reply

Latest