Turn on thread page Beta

Going back to the same job I was doing before University... watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    I dropped out of a STEM uni course a few years back after the first year and got a fairly basic minimum wage type job for 2 years. I then left the job and did the same course again and have just graduated with a 2.2.

Obviously, to an employer looking to take on grads, the whole situation looks a bit crap. Taking a year longer than the norm and then getting a 2.2 and given how competitive the grad job market is.

I've been firing off applications so far and nothing which I understand. Therefore almost feel like I'm wasting my time and should probably just restart in a fairly basic, non-graduate, type job again and work my way up.

Do other people support this theory?

ReputationRep:
    Larger organisations run "Graduate Schemes" so this would be your first port of call. It's designed to be an entry point that's less competitive than straight-up employment since they accommodate for your recent-graduate status.

Otherwise internships, freelancing or volunteering could fill the gap.

Assuming there's no more student-status in your future, what you need is money for food, housing, bills and surplus spending.

If you can get a quick win (houseshares, living at home, living at home on a farm with no electricity) then that takes a bit of the load off.

Either way, life is such that you really ought to be making money. Be it through self-employment (depending on skills) or a low-level job.
    BUT either way again: you should make sure the door is open to progressing to somewhere you feel excited to be - maybe that means never stop sending the applications even once you start a low-level job?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by haker23)
    Larger organisations run "Graduate Schemes" so this would be your first port of call. It's designed to be an entry point that's less competitive than straight-up employment since they accommodate for your recent-graduate status.

Otherwise internships, freelancing or volunteering could fill the gap.

Assuming there's no more student-status in your future, what you need is money for food, housing, bills and surplus spending.

If you can get a quick win (houseshares, living at home, living at home on a farm with no electricity) then that takes a bit of the load off.

Either way, life is such that you really ought to be making money. Be it through self-employment (depending on skills) or a low-level job.
    BUT either way again: you should make sure the door is open to progressing to somewhere you feel excited to be - maybe that means never stop sending the applications even once you start a low-level job?
    Thanks for the reply.

I think given how competitive grad schemes and grad jobs are though there is almost no point in me applying given that it took me 4 years to get a 2.2 degree. Most applications will have gotten a 2.1 or 1st in 3 years.

I almost feel like the realistic thing to do is just apply for basic minimum wage jobs to get something and then do what I can do to work my way up.

ReputationRep:
    "2.1 degree with 280 UCAS points OR 2.2 degree with either 340 UCAS points or additional post grad degree"

Taken from a Graduate Scheme Entry Requirements - it's definitely worth a look (though applications for this particular one closes July 8th - though no mention as to midnight or sometime during the day).

YEs there's competition but given that applications merely take time, if you need the job/scheme/money there's no excuse not to send them out almost constantly.

I'd say get in any job you can, whilst constantly sending applications and trying to make yourself a better candidate (any other training, learning you can do) for the job you'd want.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Lanthanum)
    I dropped out of a STEM uni course a few years back after the first year and got a fairly basic minimum wage type job for 2 years. I then left the job and did the same course again and have just graduated with a 2.2.

Obviously, to an employer looking to take on grads, the whole situation looks a bit crap. Taking a year longer than the norm and then getting a 2.2 and given how competitive the grad job market is.

I've been firing off applications so far and nothing which I understand. Therefore almost feel like I'm wasting my time and should probably just restart in a fairly basic, non-graduate, type job again and work my way up.

Do other people support this theory?
    This is a good article:

https://targetjobs.co.uk/careers-adv...n-you-graduate

You seem pretty down on yourself which is understandable given your circumstances, but I don't think you should give up. People do get graduate jobs with 2.2s. You just have to work hard. It may not happen immediately but you just have to keep seeking out opportunities and going at it.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Shumaya)
    This is a good article:

https://targetjobs.co.uk/careers-adv...n-you-graduate

You seem pretty down on yourself which is understandable given your circumstances, but I don't think you should give up. People do get graduate jobs with 2.2s. You just have to work hard. It may not happen immediately but you just have to keep seeking out opportunities and going at it.
    Thanks for the reply.

I think because of how difficult and long it will probably be given the bad grad job market (and my poor academics), hence the prospect of long unemployment, I'm thinking that I should just go back to my old job for a few years to avoid doing nothing. It wasn't terrible, just seems counter-intuitive to go to uni only to go back to the same job you did before.

Poll
Do you think parents should charge rent?
Useful resources

Articles and guides:

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A-Z of careers Advice on choosing a careerCV writing helpCovering letter helpInterview tips

Featured recruiter profiles:

CGI logo

CGI is open for applications

"Offering a range of apprentice and sponsored degree positions."

Deutsche Bank logo

Deutsche Bank is recruiting

"Thrive in an international banking environment"

ICAEW logo

Merck

"Merck is a global leader in specialized pharma & chemicals – join us!"

Army logo

The Army is recruiting now

"With hundreds of roles available, there’s more than one way to be the best."

Bianca Miller, runner-up on The Apprentice

Handle your digital footprint

What would an employer find out about you on Google? Find out how to take control.

Quick links:

Unanswered career sector and employment threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.