Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

How interesting is a Law degree? watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    And what are some examples of lectures?
    Cheers.

ReputationRep:
    How interesting you find a law degree depends on how engaged you are with the subject. Some people find law completely boring and can't possibly understand how someone could enjoy it. Some people, like me, absolutely love it.

That being said however, there's always going to be a module that you just don't engage with. For me, it was land law. I just didn't find freehold covenants and mortgages that interesting.

I have loved tort, evidence, criminal, public law, wills and probate, litigation and human rights to name a few.

Criminal I loved because I found the case law much more interesting and I enjoyed seeing how criminal law has evolved. Tort I found there was a lot of room for discussion which is something I love to do. A module like litigation is more more practical and have a go yourself.

It's a very personal thing but it's not as boring as it seems (to me, anyway).

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Coolme12345)
    And what are some examples of lectures?
    Cheers.
    It depends on how interesting the student is. If you are bright and motivated you it is a rich subject with plenty of scope for intellectual creativity and highly conceptual thinking. However, there is a lot of drudgery to get through on the way there.
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    Depends if you like to read a lot and memorize an armada of old cases.

ReputationRep:
    You should not be asking this question since you should know the answer yourself.
    I am going to uni this September (hopefully) to read law, and I am already finishing reading my first contract law textbook. Not because I would need this, but because I want to know the stuff. If you are prepared to dedicate most of the time to reading, gathering information from **** loads of different sources and derive satisfaction from it, go ahead! I ****ing love it, however if the subject material does not attract you itself, then maybe you should reconsider your choice, because I have heard of quite a few people who thought they could manage it, but gave up half way through.

ReputationRep:
    Why don't you undertake some work experience in a law firm to find out if you are really interested in this degree course? It really depends on how you are as an individual. Some people may find Law boring and some people may love it. It just depends really.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sameehaiqbal)
    Why don't you undertake some work experience in a law firm to find out if you are really interested in this degree course? It really depends on how you are as an individual. Some people may find Law boring and some people may love it. It just depends really.
    Practising law and studying it are two incomparable things. It may help to decide whether the OP wants to practise, but he needs to study it first, so I would recommend something to read, or to see a lecture since there are plenty on youtube.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: July 9, 2016
Poll
Do you agree with the proposed ban on plastic straws and cotton buds?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.