Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Hi! I'm in my final year and I need help picking my elective topics!

Okay, so I'm thinking of Family Law for my 30 credit module (exam based) and Property Tax for my 15 credit module (coursework based).

However...Property Tax is a research module and has no tutorials/lectures on the substantive law. We are expected to conduct our own extensive research.

I wanted to ask, have any of you studied Property Tax? If so, how did you find it? If not, do you think it is a good topic to pick for my final year elective?

I'm disconcerted with Property Tax because there's no lectures nor tutorials. Everything will be left to us to research for ourselves. Please offer some advice (:

Thank you!!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by HizzyGhafoor)
    Hi! I'm in my final year and I need help picking my elective topics!

Okay, so I'm thinking of Family Law for my 30 credit module (exam based) and Property Tax for my 15 credit module (coursework based).

However...Property Tax is a research module and has no tutorials/lectures on the substantive law. We are expected to conduct our own extensive research.

I wanted to ask, have any of you studied Property Tax? If so, how did you find it? If not, do you think it is a good topic to pick for my final year elective?

I'm disconcerted with Property Tax because there's no lectures nor tutorials. Everything will be left to us to research for ourselves. Please offer some advice (:

Thank you!!
    I haven't done that module (I did do family though, excellent choice) but if you're in your final year you should be able to do your own research and stuff by now. Like it might sound daunting but I'm sure you are more than capable to do that so if you really want to do that module because you like the content then I would say go for it. However, if you're not overly fussed or not confident in your research ability and you don't want to take that risk in your last year then take something else

ReputationRep:
    Im not the best at research, but my uncle said he would help me out (he is a landlord in London and has extensive knowledge. He said he would point me in the right direction and then let me get on with it).

Also, Property Tax is 100% coursework based, and I didn't want another exam (as my other modules are all examination based).

Other 15 credit modules (which are 100% examination) include:
    • Law of Financial Crime
    • Medical Law

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by HizzyGhafoor)
    Im not the best at research, but my uncle said he would help me out (he is a landlord in London and has extensive knowledge. He said he would point me in the right direction and then let me get on with it).

Also, Property Tax is 100% coursework based, and I didn't want another exam (as my other modules are all examination based).

Other 15 credit modules (which are 100% examination) include:
    • Law of Financial Crime
    • Medical Law
    Well it depends on your interests and aims after the LLB obviously but I would also recommend medical law (am doing a master's in it now). Goes very well with family - lots of overlap e.g. surrogacy/reproduction, rights of children. But if you're planning to go into something commercial then financial crime or property tax are probably more useful choices

ReputationRep:
    I assume this is BPP as this module was on offer when I studied there. I didn't do it, but I have to say that tax doesn't strike me as the sort of module that really suits being assessed by an independent research essay.

ReputationRep:
    Hi guys, thank you all for your replies! Yes, I'm studying at BPP

I just realised, I need to pick an extra 15 credit module, so, along with Family Law and Property Tax, I think I'll be choosing Law of Financial Crime. I don't think Property Tax will be assessed by an independent research essay, we just have to research the topic ourselves. I think it's like a self-teach module.

It will be assessed by coursework (and no exams). The coursework will probably be a question which we must answer.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by infairverona)
    Well it depends on your interests and aims after the LLB obviously but I would also recommend medical law (am doing a master's in it now). Goes very well with family - lots of overlap e.g. surrogacy/reproduction, rights of children. But if you're planning to go into something commercial then financial crime or property tax are probably more useful choices
    Hi! (: Thanks for your reply!

I didn't want to pick Medical Law as that is assessed by examination, and I didn't want all examination modules. At least with coursework, I can start it way in advance and work on it at my own pace. I think I will pick Family Law, Property Tax and Law of Financial Crime (:

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: July 8, 2016
Poll
“Yanny” or “Laurel”

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.