Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    good feminism or narrative novels english lit?

ReputationRep:
    >good feminism novel

They don't exist

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TheIr0nDuke)
    >good feminism novel

They don't exist
    ASOIAF has pretty heavy feminst undertones while still being pretty damn good

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Zargabaath)
    ASOIAF has pretty heavy feminst undertones while still being pretty damn good
    Later ASOIAF novels, which are trash. First three books are great, tails off after.

ReputationRep:
    The Wife of Bath's tale, if you're into the practice of exploring interpretations that are at complete odds with the likely actual intentions of the author (which I don't think is necessarily a worthless practice)
    • TSR Community Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Community Team
    (Original post by idontknowmedoyou)
    The Handmaid's Tale is a pretty good feminist novel. I'm unsure as what you mean by good narrative novels though?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Fox Corner)
    The Handmaid's Tale is a pretty good feminist novel. I'm unsure as what you mean by good narrative novels though?
    The Handmaid's Tale is also good for narrative novels - if by narrative novels you mean novels with an unusual method of narration and potentially unreliable narrators (massive spoilers for the ending).
    Spoiler:
    Show
    The protagonist has recorded her story in tapes after the events in the book have occurred, but she narrated the story in present tense to give the impression that she was still in, for example, her room or dealing with imminent events. Also, the tapes that tell the story were arranged in an order by other people, so the events of the story that we read about could have been out of order all along.
    "Orange Are Not the Only Fruit" could be feminist also as it talks on Christianity, the "Sisterhood" in the protagonists' church, the expectation for all women to marry men/have kids and how the protagonist breaks free from that, but it's more of a stretch.

"The War of the Worlds" could be a good narrative novel as the narrator is deliberately detached, stoical, technical, scientific and emotionless, and narrates events like people dying in front of him as if he was watching from a distance. He tries to be a neutral observer of the Martians' invasion - so he deliberately refuses to side with humanity - even if his emotions get in the way. This makes it annoying to read, but it can still be useful.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by idontknowmedoyou)
    A Thousand Splendid Suns, Wuthering Heights and, undeniably feminist in nature, Carter's The Bloody Chamber

Posted from TSR Mobile
    • TSR Community Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Community Team
    (Original post by kingaaran)
    A Thousand Splendid Suns, Wuthering Heights and, undeniably feminist in nature, Carter's The Bloody Chamber

Posted from TSR Mobile
    My favourite book :heart:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Fox Corner)
    My favourite book :heart:
    Don't we all love a bit of Carter

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    I have a personal hatred of the bloody chamber.
    What about the Great Gatsby as a good narrative novel or possibly the Book Thief?
    As for the feminist writing how about Emma?

Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?
Useful resources

Make your revision easier

OMAM

Ultimate Of Mice And Men Thread

Plot, context, character analysis and everything in between.

Notes

Revision Hub

All our revision materials in one place

Love books

Common grammar and vocabulary problems

Get your questions asked and answered

Useful literary websitesStudy help rules and posting guidelines

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.