Turn on thread page Beta

Best time to be alive? watch

Announcements
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    I'm assuming we've all heard the saying 'What a time to be alive' well on a litteral and not sarcastic note what time, in your opinion, would have been best for you to live in be it the present day, tudor times or the stone age )

When and why please)

Personally mid-Victorian times the height of empire and where Britain was truly something to be proud of, not to mention so long as you werent poor you have a sublime time of it

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Napp)
    I'm assuming we've all heard the saying 'What a time to be alive' well on a litteral and not sarcastic note what time, in your opinion, would have been best for you to live in be it the present day, tudor times or the stone age )

When and why please)

Personally mid-Victorian times the height of empire and where Britain was truly something to be proud of, not to mention so long as you werent poor you have a sublime time of it
    I think best time to be alive is dependent on where you live too.
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    (Original post by Al-farhan)
    I think best time to be alive is dependent on where you live too.
    That too then
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    (Original post by Napp)

When and why please)

But during mid victorian time, the majority of people were poor. The divide between the rich and the poor was huge.
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    (Original post by SCIENCE :D)
    But during mid victorian time, the majority of people were poor. The divide between the rich and the poor was huge.
    I wont deny that for a second but the point stands though if you had money you lived as a god... although arguably its worse now...
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    Btw I would have loved to have been in the Macedonian Phalanx during Alexanders conquest of Persia. (336-323BC)

ReputationRep:
    When u say what time, does it also refer to what time in ur life too? I am guessing so but sorry if not

I'd say the best time to be alive us when u r young.... Coz u can have fun..

Or when you have children.... U dont wanna die... Leaving ur children alone at a too tender age and sad for the rest of ur life:cry::cry2:

ReputationRep:
    It has to be the 80s, love 80s music :rock:

ReputationRep:
    Deffo not this year if ur British....

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SCIENCE :D)
    Still is

ReputationRep:
    I would have loved to lived in Ancient Greece. Cultural expectations during that period would've suited me wonderfully. Except maybe for the fact that a) I'm a women and b) I had appendicitis so I'd be dead by age twelve, haha.

ReputationRep:
    In the late 1500's and in the court of Elizabeth I.
    I'd be OK, I'm a Protestant lolx

ReputationRep:
    My uncle said the best years were the 1990s and early 2000s till about 2004. He loved 1993. Everything since 2009 has been totally crap and being old enough to experience this period he is 100% correct. The last 7 years have been crap.

Historically I'd like to live in the 10th to 11th century Norman period. Not so crowded or polluted as now. People working in cottage industries rather than slaving away in industrial revolution factories.

I wonder what it's like to be alive when shillings was the currency. An elderly man told me you could have a great night out with 5 quid and come back with change! He also told me it was safer to be out at night time as well.

ReputationRep:
    Sometime in the future when we have solved all our problems and the god myth has been laid to rest.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ColossalAtom)
    I wonder what it's like to be alive when shillings was the currency. An elderly man told me you could have a great night out with 5 quid and come back with change! He also told me it was safer to be out at night time as well.
    If you went back far enough you could have a knees up for half a Dinari and get a sheep in a basket supper.

ReputationRep:
    The Bretton Woods Era 1945 - 1971

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Napp)

When and why please)

how can you possibly state that the best time to be alive was when our country had a horrific colonialist doctrine, one that involved racism and violence?

in answer to your question, my subjective opinion is that the 1920s-1960s were, we had so many interesting scientific, cultural and political developments, the change was so rapid and unexpected and frankly one can easily argue that such a period of change and prosperity will not be achieved for a long time to come

ReputationRep:
    1959 - 1990. The rise and fall of rock and roll.

ReputationRep:
    Today obviously.

Poll
Do you think parents should charge rent?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.