Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hello everyone,

After a long period of preparation I will finally be starting my Mphil in Economics at Oxford this October. I am extremely excited. I will be a student at Regent's Park (which I was a bit worried about, but it seems like its actually pretty nice place). I just had a few general questions:

1) Could anyone with knowledge of Regent's Park tell me how traditional it is? Coming from abroad I was really looking forward to a traditional Oxford college experience but I foolishly applied for one of the most prestigious colleges and was pooled.

2) Do graduate students typically stick with their college or do they also mingle with others (i.e. join for dinner in other colleges' halls etc)?

3) I have currently budgeted 600-650 pounds a month for living expenses (excluding accommodation). Does that allow for a comfortable life at Oxford (frequent visits to formal halls, a few parties/restaurant visits, maybe a trip into London once a term?)

Thanks in advance!
    •  Official Rep

ReputationRep:
     Official Rep
    (Original post by geesingsn)
    Hello everyone,

After a long period of preparation I will finally be starting my Mphil in Economics at Oxford this October. I am extremely excited. I will be a student at Regent's Park (which I was a bit worried about, but it seems like its actually pretty nice place). I just had a few general questions:

1) Could anyone with knowledge of Regent's Park tell me how traditional it is? Coming from abroad I was really looking forward to a traditional Oxford college experience but I foolishly applied for one of the most prestigious colleges and was pooled.

2) Do graduate students typically stick with their college or do they also mingle with others (i.e. join for dinner in other colleges' halls etc)?

3) I have currently budgeted 600-650 pounds a month for living expenses (excluding accommodation). Does that allow for a comfortable life at Oxford (frequent visits to formal halls, a few parties/restaurant visits, maybe a trip into London once a term?)

Thanks in advance!

Regent's is a relatively informal college and smaller than average. We've heard it has a good community spirit. There will be an MCR that organises exchange dinners with other colleges. There used to be ties with St John's - its much larger neighbour across St Giles. You may already have found their MCR page:

https://regentsmcr.com/

Given that a big proportion of any college's postgrads community turn over annually, Regent's will be what the new intake make of it to a large extent - a good reason to get involved.

Remember that transport costs are very low in Oxford because the city is compact - so your budget should be plenty.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by BrasenoseAdm)
    Regent's is a relatively informal college and smaller than average. We've heard it has a good community spirit. There will be an MCR that organises exchange dinners with other colleges. There used to be ties with St John's - its much larger neighbour across St Giles. You may already have found their MCR page:

https://regentsmcr.com/

Given that a big proportion of any college's postgrads community turn over annually, Regent's will be what the new intake make of it to a large extent - a good reason to get involved.

Remember that transport costs are very low in Oxford because the city is compact - so your budget should be plenty.
    That's great to hear I was a bit bummed out when I got a PPH instead of one of the older colleges, but looking at it realistically it seems most non-Oxford (and especially non-UK) grad students get placed in one of the graduate colleges (with the more traditional colleges often taking former Oxford students/and many students with a UK undergrad degree), which typically are even less traditional. At least Regent's maintains most Oxford traditions and has relatively pretty buildings.

The MCR doesn't look very active, getting involved seems like a great suggestion. I am also hoping to get a good sense of community going within the Mphil Economics group and try to get everyone to participate in events in various other colleges that way, although I don't know how common this is (in my former university students reading for the same graduate degree would tend to stick together, I see how this may not necessarily be the case in Oxford due to the collegiate system).

Thanks for taking the time to reply

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you like to hibernate through the winter months?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.